Opti BF46 spindle motor

Thread: Opti BF46 spindle motor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Opti BF46 spindle motor

I'm slowly gathering all the bits I need to convert my BF46 to CNC, one feature I want is rigid tapping and to be able to thread mill.

While the existing spindle motor is a DC motor I have been thinking of fitting a servo to power the spindle, what would people recommend for this?

I found a 3kw 2500rpm servo on ebay New AC Servo Motor Drive Kit 3PH 220V 130mm 13 5nm 3KW 2500rpm 13 5A 3M Cable | eBay would this work as a spindle motor?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Opti BF46 spindle motor

I think if you are going to replace your DC motor then you would be crazy! You won't get the speed or torque out of it. My biggest complaint of the BF-46 when cnc'd is poor spindle speed.

If you rig this so that it is engaged for tapping and disengaged otherwise then it will be fine. This is what I do with indexing on the lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

A true spindle servo is a strong g motor with gobs of torque down low and extremely precise control, but that isn't one of them. Unfortunately a spindle servo and drive is going to set you back about $2500 for an entry level unit. You would be better served with a 3phase 3HP vector duty motor with a good VFD. They can be very precise as well and use an encoder feedback loop for indexing and tool changes, have a ton of torque and very stable rpm while machining and can turn some really high RPM.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 007 View Post
    I'm slowly gathering all the bits I need to convert my BF46 to CNC, one feature I want is rigid tapping and to be able to thread mill.

While the existing spindle motor is a DC motor I have been thinking of fitting a servo to power the spindle, what would people recommend for this?

I found a 3kw 2500rpm servo on ebay New AC Servo Motor Drive Kit 3PH 220V 130mm 13 5nm 3KW 2500rpm 13 5A 3M Cable | eBay would this work as a spindle motor?
    Do you still have yours?

Have you made the change?

Gus