x700 laser not firing

Thread: x700 laser not firing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default x700 laser not firing

I just got an x700 and I'm having a bit of trouble. Yesterday I moved the machine into my shop, tested everything to make sure it was working, then went to bed. Today I go to align the mirrors and I can't get the laser to fire. The connections on the laser tube are solid, but I don't have any way to test that high of a voltage output. I try testing the laser with the 'Laser' button on the controller as well as running a simple job but no matter what the laser does not fire despite working yesterday. There are no abnormal noises, and the power supply led indicates that it is getting power.

How can I go about troubleshooting this?

Edit:

I unplugged the large green connector going to the laser psu and pressed the Test button. The laser fired, so the problem must be the controller not turning the laser on?

Edit2:

It seems that when the controller boots up the laser is fired for a few milliseconds. I noticed this since I put masking tape over my first mirror to help with alignment and it had a small ~1mm hole cut through after starting the machine. I tested this again and it seems to be consistent after a complete power-down and restart. It must not fire for long since there was no "exit wound" on the tape.

Edit3:

I tested all of the interlock switches this morning. The pair of green wires going into the laser psu have continuity when the machine is on and doors are closed.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by nosmokingbandit; 12-28-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: x700 laser not firing

I can't seem to edit any more, so I'll have to double-post.

I just tested as much as I could think of.

The pair of green wires going to the laser PSU have continuity when all interlock switches are engaged, and have no continuity when they don't. So the interlock system seems to be working correctly.

When idle, the L-On1- output from the controller supplies ~4.7v. When attempting to pulse the laser it drops to 0v for the duration of the pulse.

When idle, the L-AN1 output from the controller supplies ~4.7v. When firing the laser it drops to various voltage levels related to the power of the pulse (ie 1.3v for 25%, 2.6v for 50%).

I'm not sure what these levels are supposed to be, and the manual offers no information about it, so I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fixed!

After much testing I found that all wires were doing exactly when they should. The laser would also fire when pressing Test on the power supply. So the problem must be the psu, right? Well, kind of. The power modulation wire and low-voltage trigger were switched on the power supply plug. Since my manual didn't have the psu pins identified I had to watch about a dozen youtube videos on 2x speed until I found a guy going over the pins on the psu. I switched those two wires and everything works perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you upload a picture of how yours is plugged in? I believe I'm having the same problem, but Mines because I switched out my PSU and the connection was different or so I thought at least.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I really can't get a good pic of the wiring without taking everything out of the cabinet and I'm not helpful enough to do that for you.

Do you have a link to the specs for your psu? I'll try to see if I can figure out what needs to be corrected. Assuming the controller is still working as it should (no reason to doubt that) it would likely be that the trigger wires are different as with mine.