My X700 buying experience

Thread: My X700 buying experience

Default My X700 buying experience

Hi all,
    I've lurked around this forum for about a year and I want to start by saying a big Thank you to all the X700 users for sharing their experiences and advice! Now that I finally registered I thought that I'd share my own experience. It's kind of long so I wrote it up on my blog: Buying a laser cutter for your Hackerspace - Flashgamer

To say the least, it was not exactly smooth sailing and CNCCheap was notoriously bad throughout the process. I would not recommend buying anything from them. Overall we're now happy with the Redsail laser itself, but we went through a lot of the issues mentioned in other threads here on CNCZone.

J

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My X700 buying experience

Excellent material, Jensa. Looks like dealing with **** company was a big pain.
    How looks your x700 buy from today point of view? Do you go for this model again, or select other one (which)?

Polish @ Éire

Hi @abyss. I'm 50/50 on this.
    While I like the laser itself, we've recently had issued with the water cooling that came with it. It just stops, so we had to replace the pump and even when doing that it has stopped again. I guess stuff like this is what you get when you go for the cheaper option and it does provide you with quite a bit of (forced) knowledge. From what I've heard from others, there's issues like this no matter what Chinese laser you go for, so it's not unique to Redsail.

To us it was a question of having this laser or no laser, so that basically dictated what we should do

Just to update this topic - our X700 has now had more than a thousand cutting hours in 2 years and all we've had to replace is the Z-homing switch (twice). We had problems with mirrors loosing alignment over time, but Locktite applied to the alignment screws have solved that. I think we soon need to rewire the X/Y gantry as we've had to replace some broke wires already, but given that this laser is used in a Hackerspace/Makerspace where mostly unskilled users operate it (after an evening of light training) we're really happy with it. We've done normal maintenance like replace the tube after 1,5 years, clean the mirrors and similar.

The water cooling setup was solved by purchasing a CPU cooling pump to replace the one in the C3000 chiller that came with the machine. We tried 3 other pumps before this, but they all failed relatively quickly. The CPU coolers are made for continuous operation and that was key.

We've also purchased a small BOFA filter unit so we don't need to vent the machine outdoors. We're really happy with the filter except that it's price was about the same as the laser itself ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm user of x700 clone (KH-7050) from over one year now. I have very ambivalent feelings regards to this machine. This is not my first laser I'm operating and is a one from ~20 different range of other plotter/CNC models I was using or servicing.
    Pro:
    - Cheap
    - Easily available (in EU over ebay without extra tax and simply with delivery)
    - Parts are mostly available
    - Quite big working area
    - Nice controller (Ruida 6442)
    - Well supported BY COMMUNITY
    Contra:
    - No any support from producer, hard to contact (producer site lcjbdz .com was taken over by other on-line market)
    - Assembly and finishing quality is poor or even dangerous (this is a opinion from few people who have other Chinese brands, we are not comparing it to Universal/Trotec/Epilog)
    - Original machine design was probably "reworked" by assembling company what reflects in for example in not-operating pass through door system (head too far from material!)
    - Some parts of machine was simplified or replaced by cheaper/simpler components (head, stepper motor holders, 2 mirror support, lack of gear on X stepper to belt etc)
    - Badly designed air flow
    - There are other "common" for Chinese machine glitches as loud and energy-hungry exhaust, aquarium water pump instead chiller, lack of tools as mirror replacing or power meter tool in set, and extremely bad manual. There is no real CE marking as fair I know.
    - There is a range of popular faults which can be fixed: lack/mistakes of grounding inside machine!, power switch, safety switch, back power sockets, Z-axis switches (especially in 110V version), non-leveled table, faulty PL-05 end sensors, wrong height of 2 mirror support, poor lightning inside compartment, lack of access to see laser tube at high-voltage side. And traditionally: lens up-side down to fitter can set focus faster (wrongly and poorer than should be).
    Overall I have fixed many of mentioned issues, changed air exhaust to other type but this take time and not all buyers have enough experience to do this. I have done few videos on YT titled as x700 # (user bialy100k) - maybe they will help other to judge machine.

Polish @ Éire

@abyss Auch... Not good. Apart from the poor customer support from CNC Cheap, I'm quite happy with our Original Redsail X700. We've not had to do much rework other than the cooling system, so for the price I'm very happy. The original has a fairly solid setup when it comes to safety and cabling.

In a different thread on this forum I'm now trying to figure out if I'm buying our next laser from a reputed vendor or someone else.

@abyss Auch... Not good. Apart from the poor customer support from CNC Cheap, I'm quite happy with our Original Redsail X700. We've not had to do much rework other than the cooling system, so for the price I'm very happy. The original has a fairly solid setup when it comes to safety and cabling.

In a different thread on this forum (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/redsai...ilcnc-com.html) I'm now trying to figure out if I'm buying our next laser from a reputed vendor or someone else.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello
    Surely interesting. I also ordered kh-7050 with 80w tube under brand Vevor from german dealer. Im still waiting for machine to arrive. I also asked for quote from Redsail directly, but I price was pretty high already on site and plus to that there will be import costs. German machine is tax free and freight to home door was only less than 120 $. So money saved will fund quite large upgrades. Lets see, feeling very exiting...