Build Thread 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700

Default 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700

I have recently replaced my Redsail X700's 60w factory Redsail laser tube with a 100w 1200mm long Reci tube. I thought that I would share a few thoughts and pics on the process.

1. The Reci tube is 80mm in diameter vs. the factory tube being 60mm. This size difference requires a change to larger tube mounts. There is a family of plastic 80mm mounts that are usually sold by the folks who sell Reci tubes. They come in three sizes; short height, medium height and tall height. The Redsail X700 needs the short mount. If you have a different make or model of laser engraver, measuring before you order mounts will make your life a lot easier. Measure twice, cut once!

2. The new laser mounts will need new holes drilled in the X700 case to attach them to the case. If you try to attach them using the original mounting holes, the mounts will interfere with either hardware in the laser or the cooling outlet on the laser tube. Drilling the holes was really quite easy. I put tape on the old holes.

3. I replaced the original Laser Power Supply with an approved Reci PS. This is important, as apparently no vendor will honor the warranty on the Reci tube if you are using a non-approved power supply. Be sure to note the wiring identification on the old PS, as the Reci PS is laid out differently. I also had to solder wire extensions as the plugs were located in different spots on the PS and Redsail made the original wiring very short. A little attention here will make your PS replacement very easy!

4. I did a quick eyeball alignment of the tube, put tape on the first mirror and fired it up. First shot was low. Quick adjustment and the it was right on dead center.
    I have included pics that show the tube being installed, laser alignment and targets used until I had dot on dot in all four corners of the work area. This build, adding the higher powered tube was trouble free and went faster than I had expected. I am now enjoying faster cuts and engraving!

If anybody has any questions regarding this upgrade, feel free to contact me.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-1-recitubeinstalled-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-2-targetprep-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-3-firstmirrortarget-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-4-firstshot-jpg  

100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-5-firstmirrorok-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-6-checking3rdmirror-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-7-adjustments-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700

I'm about to do the same upgrade but I was curious how you dealt with the Y-Axis motor. From what I've seen an 80w tube would bump into the y-motor. Here is a picture of my 55w (They claim it was a 60 but it's a 55w tube)100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-img_8940-jpg

I did not have any interference from any of the motors. I will be going by the shop today and will take a quick look. The pics you sent me look different from what I remember. By the way, I am now cutting 1/4 inch (6.5mm) cheap plywood on the first pass at 75 power and 75 speed. I will get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by crandolph View Post
    I'm about to do the same upgrade but I was curious how you dealt with the Y-Axis motor. From what I've seen an 80w tube would bump into the y-motor. Here is a picture of my 55w (They claim it was a 60 but it's a 55w tube)100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-img_8940-jpg
    I took a look at my X700 and the motor is not in the way. You most likely have an M500. The difference is that the tube in a X700 requires an extension to the laser covers to hold the bigger tube. Without the extension the motor is in the way as the mount it directly behind the motor. See the photo that I took of my X700, in which the motor is mounted 180' away from where your motor is in your pic. You may be able to move your motor mount to look like mine. Good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the M700 and X700 are mostly the same machine. My cutting area is 700x500 which seems like it's the X700 since it also has the same base as well. It looks like your motor is reversed and mounted on the opposite side and I'm willing to bet it's completely random which way they mount the motor so more than likely I'll have to move mine. My only problem is that I'll have to adjust the drag chain while I'm in there since that seems why they mounted my motor to the outside. My machine has the cut out panel for passing the longer tube through. Inside my machine there is only enough room for a 41" long tube. I just ordered a 100w F4 tube which is 56.25" long and 80mm diameter. So I'll have a good 16" of tube sticking out the side. I have designed a strong 3d printed enclosure that will mount with the same screw holes on the pass through that should protect it from bumps and general stupidity. Here is a picture on the first part I printed and I have the cap and another 2 extensions to print which will give me a good 18" of space to cover the tube. It's sleeved and snaps together.

100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-cbtwsnruyaeoeku-jpg-large-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about your laser power supply. Were you able to fit your new power supply in the same spot or did you relocate it? My new power supply is 12.5" x 6" and it seems like I'm going to have a tough time making it fit in there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For those who have the motor and drag chain in the way like I did. I finished moving mine last night and it wasn't so bad. I was able to turn the drag chain around without removing all the wires and air tube and just drill a new hole on the bottom for attaching the drag chain but I used the same hole on the X-axis. Relocating the motor was easy to. Just drill two new holes on the other side and run the wires down the hole by the drag chain. Please ignore the crooked nature of my motor in the photo. I was still doing adjustments to tighten the belt. All in all it took a good hour but drilling and removing screws was really tight. I needed a right angle drill to get in there to work. Now I have room for my tube and all that is left is to make room for the laser power supply.

100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-access-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-motor-removed-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-new-motor-posistion-jpg
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-new-motor-side-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-old-motor-posistion-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-reverse-cable-chain-jpg
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-side-view-jpg

Last edited by crandolph; 04-04-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Formatting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm making progress but my machine has more problems than rinconchuck did but I'm prepared to work with it. The tube that came with the machine was a 55mm tube and had a 65mm mount so I got new 80mm mounts and I'm using a different style to clear the Y axis bar and I had to drill a hole and under mount it to get the tube as low as I could. My new tube is 80mm so I have a lot of height to worry about and I can't go much lower or I hit the Y-Axis no matter how far back I went. So after I got the tube as low as I could I had to clear a path for the beam. Sadly my frame was a lot higher so I had to cut away some walls to make a clear path. I cut away the panel on the back and on the side so it's a clear shot. I'm now printing some new mounts to get my mirrors in the right height and position. I also had to reposition some things in the electronics to get the new power supply fitted.
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-back-cut-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-tube-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-new-laser-mount-jpg
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-new-layout-electronics-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-side-cut-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-tube-comparison-jpg
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-tube-holder-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally finished my tube protector and I'm currently working on new mirror and lens mounts. Here is a link if you want to print the tube protectors.

Redsail M700 Laser tube extension by drandolph - Thingiverse

100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-complete-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-backside-jpg
    100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-downview-jpg 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-open-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates on this? How is the new tube working out? Was it all worth it?

I have the same machine and I am really happy with it. I can see upgrading the power though. I want to do some things with acrylic.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finished it and I've just been tuning and testing but so far, so good. Be ready for some time and some serious modifications if you end up going down the path I did.

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW... i have found its not truly a Red Sail X700, but a Chinese knock-off of a Chinese machine.
    the mfg is lcjbdz dot com
    that is why its a bit different and motor is in different place, etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do you think it is that particular company that is the manufacturer? I have looked for a while now to find this and have seen this particular laser on several websites. Did the seller tell you? I emailed asking them this and my ebay seller would not tell me the company name that makes the laser.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNSFN2 View Post
    Why do you think it is that particular company that is the manufacturer? I have looked for a while now to find this and have seen this particular laser on several websites. Did the seller tell you? I emailed asking them this and my ebay seller would not tell me the company name that makes the laser.
    got it directly off the back of the machine. there was a mfg. sticker.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL. That's funny. Maybe I never noticed that. I am going to look later tonight. I would think that redsail made some of the parts like the case since it looks like the case matches the Redsail laser. Although I have not idea how all these guys work together. (Or not work together)

Sorry, I did not give a reply on mounting of the Reci HVPS for the laser. I had to turn mine 90 degrees from how the original Redsail PS was sitting. I also had to make new mounting holes for the new PS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps some of you that have upgraded to larger tubes can help me with something. I posted these questions a few days ago, but have not gotten any replies yet.

I have a K40 laser with the standard tube that is about 35W. I am thinking of building a bigger laser of 80-100W to cut faster and thicker material, but I also need to do fine engraving and want better quality than I am getting from the K40. I am wondering if I go with the more powerful tube and a beam expander if my fine engraving quality will go up or down or if I can even turn the power down enough on a more powerful tube to engrave very thin engraving stock (.020" reverse engrave stock and rocker switches with a very thin black cap layer).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rinconchuck View Post
    I have recently replaced my Redsail X700's 60w factory Redsail laser tube with a 100w 1200mm long Reci tube. I thought that I would share a few thoughts and pics on the process.

1. The Reci tube is 80mm in diameter vs. the factory tube being 60mm. This size difference requires a change to larger tube mounts. There is a family of plastic 80mm mounts that are usually sold by the folks who sell Reci tubes. They come in three sizes; short height, medium height and tall height. The Redsail X700 needs the short mount. If you have a different make or model of laser engraver, measuring before you order mounts will make your life a lot easier. Measure twice, cut once!

2. The new laser mounts will need new holes drilled in the X700 case to attach them to the case. If you try to attach them using the original mounting holes, the mounts will interfere with either hardware in the laser or the cooling outlet on the laser tube. Drilling the holes was really quite easy. I put tape on the old holes.

3. I replaced the original Laser Power Supply with an approved Reci PS. This is important, as apparently no vendor will honor the warranty on the Reci tube if you are using a non-approved power supply. Be sure to note the wiring identification on the old PS, as the Reci PS is laid out differently. I also had to solder wire extensions as the plugs were located in different spots on the PS and Redsail made the original wiring very short. A little attention here will make your PS replacement very easy!

4. I did a quick eyeball alignment of the tube, put tape on the first mirror and fired it up. First shot was low. Quick adjustment and the it was right on dead center.
    I have included pics that show the tube being installed, laser alignment and targets used until I had dot on dot in all four corners of the work area. This build, adding the higher powered tube was trouble free and went faster than I had expected. I am now enjoying faster cuts and engraving!

If anybody has any questions regarding this upgrade, feel free to contact me.
    Hello, rinconchuck!
    I am going to change my X700 redsail factory 60W laser tube to 80W Reci tube. And I heard that Reci Power Supply will need some frequency modulation setting. Do you know something about it? And could you please post here the picture of you connected laser tube power supply?
    Thank you in advance.

BatChat,

I think what you mean by modulation is that you will need to set the maximum output of the laser tube HVPS (high voltage power supply). That is really easy! When you purchase your tube, ask the vendor what the return micro-amps should be. It should be something like 28ma. It might be a little higher or it might be a little lower depending on the tube. This is important as if you over-drive the tube (have to high of a return on the micro-amps) your tube will not last long. Set up properly, the RECI tube is supposed to last 8000 to 10000 hours. This is measured using a multi-meter or amp meter. Your vendor should be able to supply you with instructions on adjusting the power-supply. If not, contact me again and I will help you.

Second, I won't be at the shop until this weekend. I will take a picture of the how my HVPS is mounted then and post them. Note carefully how your wiring is identified on your present HVPS. The plug was different between the two power supplies and the wiring layout was different. I wrote everything down so that I would have a record.

If you have a bonafide RedSail, this is a fairly easy upgrade. If you have one of the knock-offs, then you may have to move a stepper motor to get the tube to fit.

I now have three RedSails and have been very happy with them. I have a brother-in-law that bought a very expensive unit here in the US, and except for the fact that they originally set it up, he has had more problems that me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rinconchuck View Post
    BatChat,

I think what you mean by modulation is that you will need to set the maximum output of the laser tube HVPS (high voltage power supply). That is really easy! When you purchase your tube, ask the vendor what the return micro-amps should be. It should be something like 28ma. It might be a little higher or it might be a little lower depending on the tube. This is important as if you over-drive the tube (have to high of a return on the micro-amps) your tube will not last long. Set up properly, the RECI tube is supposed to last 8000 to 10000 hours. This is measured using a multi-meter or amp meter. Your vendor should be able to supply you with instructions on adjusting the power-supply. If not, contact me again and I will help you.

Second, I won't be at the shop until this weekend. I will take a picture of the how my HVPS is mounted then and post them. Note carefully how your wiring is identified on your present HVPS. The plug was different between the two power supplies and the wiring layout was different. I wrote everything down so that I would have a record.

If you have a bonafide RedSail, this is a fairly easy upgrade. If you have one of the knock-offs, then you may have to move a stepper motor to get the tube to fit.

I now have three RedSails and have been very happy with them. I have a brother-in-law that bought a very expensive unit here in the US, and except for the fact that they originally set it up, he has had more problems that me.
    Hello, rinconchuck!
    Thank you for your prompt reply. Actually my situation is like: my X700 RedSail was graving a stamp and during that process the laser disappeared. I have X700 for almost 2 years, but use it very rarely. Couple of times per month or even per 3 months. So now I do not know whether the problem is in power supply or in the tube. And I see the resolution in: change the tube or change the power supply or change both for Reci 60W (now I have factory tube and PS, not Reci). Here we have no official dealers of Reci so there is no any guarantee. You just pay 600 USD per 80W Reci tube and 400 USD per 80W Reci power supply and go home. If it doesn’t work – this is your problem J You may pay 75 USD for installation – in this case they bring you tube and PS to you, install it – but when they leave you - no guarantee anyway. Now I am waiting for some information about my X700 problem from the person who sold it to me. Here are some pics: we tried to measure mA during TEST button – but the result is “0”. At the same time you can note some lite inside the tube. Don’t you meet with such a situation?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-dsc_2248-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-dsc_2251-jpg   100W Reci Tube Installed in Redsail X700-dsc_2252-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast