CRS Robotic arms...HELP!!!

Thread: CRS Robotic arms...HELP!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CRS Robotic arms...HELP!!!

Forum Members,
    I work for a community college in Illinois (maybe you've heard of us...we're the state with no budget!). I have no resources to buy new robotic arms, but I have acquired 4 old CRS robotic arms that are mechanically OK, but with no controllers. Our regional manufacturers use mostly FANUC and MOTOMAN robots. I am looking at the feasibility of retro-fitting these arms with new servo controllers and robotic software. The arms currently use brush DC motors. I am thinking keep 2 of them with the original motors and change the other 2 arms over to stepper motors. I am finding many options are available to drive the motors, but my main concern is the controller software. I would like to find software that:
    Programs similar to FANUC or MOTOMAN robots
    Configurable to work with either USB or Ethernet communication to axis drives
    Will support 6 axes (one of which being a gripper)
    Supports a USB teach pendant.
    I am new to working with robotic arms, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!! http://www.robot-forum.com/robotforu...m/shield11.gif

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CRS Robotic arms...HELP!!!

Why would you want to buy steppers when you've already got servos? You can run brushed servos with the Gecko G-320 drives, which will operate from step-and-direction signals. Since you're not locked into any proprietary drivers, you should be able to use an open-source controller like ROS: ROS-Industrial: open-source software in industrial robotics This downloadable software also looks interesting: https://sourceforge.net/projects/armcontrol/

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Why would you want to buy steppers when you've already got servos? You can run brushed servos with the Gecko G-320 drives, which will operate from step-and-direction signals. Since you're not locked into any proprietary drivers, you should be able to use an open-source controller like ROS: ROS-Industrial: open-source software in industrial robotics This downloadable software also looks interesting: https://sourceforge.net/projects/armcontrol/
    Awerby,
    Thank you for your response! My reasoning for changing motors is twofold. First the motors on the two oldest arms are not in great shape, the encoders are damaged or missing. I assumed I could buy steppers for less than I can replace or repair the DC motors. Second, I know most of the more modern small arms use steppers and belts vs dc motors and chains, so it was a way of making two arms more closely represent what my students will see in the field. Once I do more research I may find the cost of going stepper and belt drive may be cost and time prohibitive. TBD.
    Have you seen or worked with ROS or ROS-Industrial? I saw on their video they use it with a Yaskawa (Motoman) robot. My biggest concern is that whatever software I use MUST be close enough to either Fanuc or Motoman that a student learning on it would be able to apply what he learned on the real thing. Again, any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Randy Strohl

Downloads
    Uploads

Encoders aren't really that expensive; it might be more economical to replace them on the motors that need that rather than scrap them and put steppers in their place, At least you'd have motors with sufficient torque to move the joints. Here's a source for reasonably-priced optical encoders; see if you can find ones that match the shaft size and line count of the ones you've got: US Digital | Products

I'm not sure you'd be doing yourself any favors by replacing the mechanicals either; if these arms were set up to use servos and chains, it would be a bit of work and expense to replace them with steppers and belts that might not function as well. I doubt that the machines your students would see in the field are all driven one way or the other, but I doubt the belt-drive and stepper approach is used in the more heavy-duty arms. If it's really important to you that your students learn a particular software, then I'd suggest reaching out to Fanuc and Yaskawa (or Kuka, SCARA, ABB etc.) Companies will generally provide deep discounts (if not free stuff) to educators training students in the use of their products - it makes good business sense. Here are a couple more software suites to check out:

ArmCtrl

http://www.strobotics.com/roboforth.htm

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Encoders aren't really that expensive; it might be more economical to replace them on the motors that need that rather than scrap them and put steppers in their place, At least you'd have motors with sufficient torque to move the joints. Here's a source for reasonably-priced optical encoders; see if you can find ones that match the shaft size and line count of the ones you've got: US Digital | Products

I'm not sure you'd be doing yourself any favors by replacing the mechanicals either; if these arms were set up to use servos and chains, it would be a bit of work and expense to replace them with steppers and belts that might not function as well. I doubt that the machines your students would see in the field are all driven one way or the other, but I doubt the belt-drive and stepper approach is used in the more heavy-duty arms. If it's really important to you that your students learn a particular software, then I'd suggest reaching out to Fanuc and Yaskawa (or Kuka, SCARA, ABB etc.) Companies will generally provide deep discounts (if not free stuff) to educators training students in the use of their products - it makes good business sense. Here are a couple more software suites to check out:

ArmCtrl

ST robotics software suite
    Awerby,
    Your assessment is correct that replacing motors and chains is not going to be cost effective or offer greatly enhanced learning. Unfortunately, since many of the robot manufacturers use product training as a revenue stream, they are not so willing to help community colleges and universities unless we are filling labs with their equipment. My preference would be to buy several Fanuc or Motoman systems and train on them, but I'll be lucky to get the money to get these old ones going. Thank you again for the links to the different control systems!

Randy Strohl