raspberry pi with either bcnc or ugs manual operations

Thread: raspberry pi with either bcnc or ugs manual operations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default raspberry pi with either bcnc or ugs manual operations

I've done one CNC build using the raspberry Pi protoneer cnc hat that controls a small Proxxon Mf70 mill. I use Fusion 360 to do the cad drawings and then their cam module to generate the Gcode. I'm about to convert a little machine shop 3990 to CNC, also using a raspberry pi to control it. Since bCNC and UGS run on that platform I'll stick with either of them. My question is how can I use this setup to do simple operations like squaring up stock or a facing operation without going to all the steps to generate gcode using fusion 360? My shop space and budget are small so dedicating a mill to manual operation is a non starter. Thanks for sharing how you've solved this problem.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: raspberry pi with either bcnc or ugs manual operations

Agreed that Fusion 360 is way overkill for a simple facing operation, besides I'd be shocked if Fusion runs on a pi.
    bCNC's built in CAM can do a facing operation. It's named "Flatten" in the CAM menu. Or at least that's true for the version of bCNC I'm running.
    Another way to do this is with a simple python gcode generator like this:
    LINK--->LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Simple LinuxCNC G-Code Generators

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I'll look at linuxCNC. Yes, fusion doesn't run on raspberry pi. I run it on a windows 10 pc in my home office. After I generate the gcode file from fusion manufacturing I use VNCViewer to remote to my raspberry down in my shop. Usine filezilla to move the file down to get it ready run through bCNC.

On another thread for mach3 someone mentioned using a pendant to control the mill. That sounds interesting but I'll need something that works with bCNC or UGS.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look at linuxCNC
    A bit of clarification. Those python scripts will run on your pi without linuxcnc, just need python which you already have.
    If we're running the same bCNc jogging is incremental with no continuous option which is kind of a pain. Using linuxcnc I'll often do a quick face with the arrow keys.
    I've seen pendants used with bCNC but it looks like jogging remains incremental ?

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrdarrah View Post
    I've done one CNC build using the raspberry Pi protoneer cnc hat that controls a small Proxxon Mf70 mill. ...
    Off topic for this thread but I'll ask anyway ... Is there a writeup or info about this project anywhere? I have the same hardware available and have a 'round-to-it' labeled for exactly that task. Would appreciate any info you can provide, possibly in another thread.

Thanks,
    Arvid