New Machine Build Yet Another Raptor...

Thread: Yet Another Raptor...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yet Another Raptor...

Guess they didn't learn after Jurrasic Park. ...Get it? Raptor? ...THUMP THUMP THUMP Is this thing on?

I need somewhere to document the build because I suck at documentation, so its time to practice. Anyway, I bought a 30x48 Raptor for the same reason everyone else did: I could design my own, but I just would have ended up with something similar but not as good as the Raptor and it would have cost about the same. So I pulled the trigger. The kits has so far been distributed in about 6 packages (3 from Canada and 3 from China) with 2 more to arrive from Canada. I think there was some issue with my Y gantry that had to be recalled. Combined with ordering the kit about a month ago, during Chinese New Year, its been a distributed arrival. That's fine.

I was excited to get the electronics in first so i could go to school on that side of it before the hardware assembly distracted me. Electronics and I dont always get along, so I wanted to establish the CAD->CAM->G-CODE->SmoothStepper->Controller->Stepper link first. Unfortunately the power supply that came with the kit was DOA (remember how electronics and I aren't friends?). Anyway, George is replacing that power supply in the next shipment. I went with the MX4660 because I figure a 4th axis will happen at some point and I have a pair of rotary stages that were laying around in my buddy's machine shop that he didn't want. I'll have to run them open-loop, but whatever. I also scored a 2.2kW spindle from him, but I needed an inverter, so I picked with the one from Automation Technologies. That one fought me for a while until I finlly found the hidden setting that I had overlooked and now the spindle spindles up nicely.

I scored some heavy 80-20 from work that was leftover scrap and built a nice rigid table (then put it on casters for extra rigidity!). Just kidding, the casters are there to help me move it around while I build it and everything in my garage is on wheels so I can reconfigure. Jack-screws will follow. once the machine is done.

I think the most difficult choice I have to make in this whole process is what color to anodize the machine. Blue? Black with Yellow extrusions? Red? First world problems. There is a blue motif running in this shop (yeah, I just used "color motif" and "shop" in the same sentence. Deal with it.) Weigh in if you want to have an opinion, but I hear people are shy about sharing their opinion on this "internet" thing.

Here's a few pictures of the goods to tide you over. I'll post more when there is something worth showing.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Raptor...-img_0260-jpg   Yet Another Raptor...-img_0262-jpg   Yet Another Raptor...-img_0263-jpg   Yet Another Raptor...-img_0261-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet Another Raptor...

Rotate your images.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rotate your monitor

Just kidding. Will do next time.

Also worth noting is there seems to be an update on the extrusions. They now come with a side that is recessed to provide an edge for rail alignment. I didn't see that in the instructions thread. In general, the documentation on these machines is... lacking. But as long as the machine is good, i can deal with that. Pictures to follow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made progress on the spindle mount and dust boot assembly this week. Still missing major portions of the machine and electronics, so progress is limited.

Spindle mount was made from parts I was able to nestle into the scrap from a lager waterjet job, and then drilled on a bridgeport. Pretty basic, but you can see the intended integration with a dust collector. I'll have a straight PVC section coming out of the dust boot up past the spindle so the boot isn't carrying the load of the flex line.

The boot itself.... well, I haven't tested it, so I don't know how good it is, but in general, I wasn't a huge fan of how large most of these dust boots are. I really thought there should be a way to shrink the footprint, so you can see that I sorta did that. Granted, I dont know if having a smaller footprint is actually good, but it will be an interesting experiment. If nothing else, it should reduce the CFM needed from the dust collection system. The part is SLS and it has a pair of magnets to grab the brush ring. I grabbed the 2" and 3" flexible brush from McMaster, but I need to re-print that lower adapter because the slot for the brush is not large enough.

Attachment 312060
    Attachment 312062

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Raptor...-img_0283-jpg   Yet Another Raptor...-img_0284-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's one nice looking dust boot. Love the magnetic connections.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Almost everything else arrived today, along with a power supply that works. Last remaining item is the backing bars for the gantry. I'll be taking the main plates to be anodized on monday. Leaning towards black now. Somehow all the picture of blue raptors online aren't quite doing it for me.

George sent along the documentation as well, so now I have build instructions

The magnets on the dust collector... well lets just say the adhesive backing is not up to the strength of the magnets. I'll be epoxying those in place once the updated skirts arrive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the low post rate. Progress is really slow. Still don't have all the pieces, but the last ones are in the mail.

This machine has a lot of clever solutions: X axis proximity sensor picks up two very adjustable bolts, etc. This machine also has terrible documentation, which results in a lot of emails to George. Fortunately he answers all my questions.

I'm trying out a constant force spring assembly to gravity off-load my Z axis assembly. Before the spring, the rig would back drive itself down to the table. WIth one spring on, it doesn't. Progress! The second spring isn't on yet because the other bracket fell into the waterjet table I'll make another tomorrow. The constant force springs sit on either side of the Z stepper (only one installed). It uses a shoulder bolt and spacer to spin on, with some retaining washers.

Attachment 315732

Attachment 315734

Doesn't it look good in black?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Raptor...-img_0365-jpg   Yet Another Raptor...-img_0364-jpg