Raptor 30x36 order placed

Thread: Raptor 30x36 order placed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Raptor 30x36 order placed

I'm ready to jump in the world of CNC Routing! Placed my order this evening for the following:

Raptor 30x36
    MX3660 / 281oz electronics pkg
    Proximity Switches
    Cable Chain
    T-Slot Table Top
    Hitachi router mount

Can't say enough thank you's for George's help! I researched anything and everything in the 24x24 to 30x36 range from pre-built turn key to assemble yourself and ended up with the XZero Raptor 30x36.

Raptor 30x36 order placed-raptor-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: Raptor 30x36 order placed

Good for you @firewire! I recently ordered a Raptor myself. Can't wait to cut some parts!

Donny

Downloads
      Uploads

I ordered a 30x48 last week, same config as yours. I'm trying to gather all the necessary parts for the build and you're probably ahead of me here. I'm trying to figure out the electrical requirements; it ships with a 48V PS, but it looks like we'll need a 12v PS for the limit switches and maybe 5v for stuff like additional probes. How are you handling the 12v requirement, with a DC-DC stepdown or a separate 12v dedicated PS?

I ordered a 2.2kw high torque chinese air spindle from ugracnc for my cutter. Never messed around with VFD's before, but it looks like it's fairly easy to integrate with the MX3660.

Downloads
      Uploads

I haven't "turned" mine on yet (waiting on a Z axis shim George said I needed to prevent "binding" of the ball screw), but I have wired the power directly to the PS and the Leadshine based on this thread: Prox sensor for Leadshine MX3660

As for the spindle, I went with a Hitachi MV12C router, but agreed, it looks easy to wire up as there is a spot for one.

The only hiccups I have run into are the mounting of the aluminum table top and adding feet. The feet are M8 threaded and the table top is just a matter of using L brackets or long 2"x2" angle aluminum then drilling as needed. Be sure and put the bearings in correctly at each end! Fatter ones go on the motor end and the thinner bearings go on the non-motor end. My t-slot table top is staring at me waiting for me to mount it as I wait for the Z axis shim and quick connects from the motors to the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikec View Post
      I ordered a 30x48 last week, same config as yours. I'm trying to gather all the necessary parts for the build and you're probably ahead of me here. I'm trying to figure out the electrical requirements; it ships with a 48V PS, but it looks like we'll need a 12v PS for the limit switches and maybe 5v for stuff like additional probes. How are you handling the 12v requirement, with a DC-DC stepdown or a separate 12v dedicated PS?

I ordered a 2.2kw high torque chinese air spindle from ugracnc for my cutter. Never messed around with VFD's before, but it looks like it's fairly easy to integrate with the MX3660.

Downloads
      Uploads

Yeah I ordered the Al table top too - are you saying I need to get some angle aluminum in order to mount it? So for my machine I'll need two 2"x2"x48" for the table slats? Any other surprises? I'm trying to have everything on hand so we can do a quick build. Thanks, the Xzero forum is pretty disorganized and it's kinda tough to extract info out of it ;-)

Downloads
      Uploads

Yeah, you will have to supply mounting bolts and brackets of some type. I figure each panel needs 2 bolts for each side (4 total for each panel). The panels are cut the 30" direction not the length, so you will have like 8 total. On the XZero forum George recommends 2"x2" angle aluminum and you drill were you need to (and cut to fit). I'd like to mount 100% from the bottom if possible and do zero drilling. So I'm thinking t-slot bolts and angle brackets of some type for each panel. Looking over the 8020 catalog and t-nutz website.

There are two odd t-slot bolts, they are for the x-axis proximity sensors. You mount both on the same rail, just one on each end.

Machine assembled is rock solid and HEAVY!!!

Yeah I ordered the Al table top too - are you saying I need to get some angle aluminum in order to mount it? So for my machine I'll need two 2"x2"x48" for the table slats? Any other surprises? I'm trying to have everything on hand so we can do a quick build. Thanks, the Xzero forum is pretty disorganized and it's kinda tough to extract info out of it ;-)

Downloads
      Uploads

"Machine assembled is rock solid and HEAVY!!!" -- Good to hear!!!

I'm with you, mounting from the bottom is preferable but I don't think it's doable without bolt holes. I'll order some 2x2 angle and go back to tnutz.com and get some more bolts! I'm going to bolster the Y with two strips of this:

8020 T Slot Aluminum Extrusion 10 s 1030 x 48 N | eBay and these

I just ordered a 12v 5a regulated ps from ebay, I'll run the sensors and fans off of that.

With the absence of a manual this build is like the blind leading the blind. The good news is we'll have a badass machine when everything's tweaked!

It'd be nice if we were provided with a parts list of just what exactly this kit comes with, and what we need to order...

Downloads
      Uploads

Top comes with tnutz to attach to inner side of the profile with 2.2

XZero cnc

Downloads
      Uploads

Firewire, since I don't have the slats yet, do you think these would work for fastening them down?

(CB-010-A) Inside Corner Gusset | TNUTZ

Downloads
      Uploads

George what size bolts go in those tnuts?

Downloads
      Uploads

Firewire, since I don't have the slats yet, do you think these would work for fastening them down?

I've contemplated those same brackets, but the unit once assembled is VERY heavy and it would be very awkward to install those. Plus the holes would have to be pretty on target to match up. George recommends 2"x2", so that makes me wonder if that bracket it too small.

I think they are M6 bolt size for the t-nuts.

Downloads
      Uploads

It would be better to use the 6 hold Brackets. Bolts are M6-12 button heads

XZero cnc

Downloads
      Uploads

I know this thread is old, but I am helping a guy get his Raptor X2 CNC router up and working again (he bought it used) and I am having a hard time finding much info on it. Is there a manual or something with suggested settings? Otherwise I guess the tried and true guess and check method will have to do.