Select electronics for my raptorxz - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Select electronics for my raptorxz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now there is no turning back!
    Order placed with Automation Technologies Inc.

The following will arrive at my doorstep soon...
    3x NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A Dual Shaft Stepper Motor KL23H2100-35-4B
    1x Ethernet SmoothStepper Motion Control Board for Mach3
    3x Gecko Stepper Driver G203V 80V,7A
    1x Unregulated Linear 1120W, Max 56VDC/20A Toroidal PSU (KL-5620) with 5V/1A
    40´ 4 conductor 18GA Shielded Motor wires.

Tracking info recieved...

Still Learning..... :D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also ordered items from post #40...

Minutes are soo slow when waiting for trans atlantic parcels....

In the mean time i have started programming a heated bed and Nossle controller for the 3D Printer head. I am using an Arduino Mega and 4x20 LCD Display. The Bed will be costom made using tempered glass from IKEA table, 3mm copper sheet, nicrome wire, insulator, reflector foil and MDF in placement order from top. I am not yet sure about how to power it. Bed size will be about 70x110cm so a lot of power will be needed to heat it... more on this over at my thread on 3dstuffzone:
    http://www.3dstuffzone.com/diy-3d-pr...der-build.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would you be using a HBP of that size? There will be significant warping long before you can use that space, you;d be far better off printing in PLA for something of that size.Either that or you will have to build a heated build chamber. I have 400mm dia Delta and a 250mm tall moded Replicator and it takes a enclosed chamber with the HBP running at 120 deg to build to height with ABS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for sharing!
    My understanding is that even when printing larger items with PLA warping becomes an issue. Reason for the heated bed is to prevent this and help with adhersion. Maybe it is a good idea to try running cold before spending time building the bed. Since the machine is a moving gantry design i believe that building a chamber will be quite hard if i have to keep the steppers within resonable temperature. I still think that having a heated bed will help to reduce warping even if it cannot be prevented completly.

Your input has atleast made me concider to begin with a cold tempered glass bed and see how it works out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im checking tracking information on my incoming packages.....

Patience is a virtue i do not have...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A 50:50 mix of water and Elmer's glue works great for printing PLA on glass. Heat is not really needed although makes it easier to dry the glue mix. Only need about 70c for PLA. Biggest issue with PLA is getting the point of extrusion cooled off as the areas will stay soft. A small fan on the extrusion head or blowing across the part is needed if small features and overhangs are printed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Downloads
    Uploads

I use lexan 3mm and use acetone and wipe sheet just before printing. Holds perfect and does not warp.

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a sweet trick! How much acetone are you using? Rich or just a brief stroke with a tissue? I heard tricks like hairspray on glass but this was new! Will try soon i hope

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bx3mE View Post
    Thats a sweet trick! How much acetone are you using? Rich or just a brief stroke with a tissue? I heard tricks like hairspray on glass but this was new! Will try soon i hope
    Just wipe lexan with cloth with acetone on it. I print 12x12 and have not had onw warp or let go. Don't need raff or anything. Same as in this video

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah PLA is pretty easy to get to stick well enough yo a bed not to warp in a large scale. ABS not so much, which is far more useful and easier to work with after printing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As of yesterday i am planning my controller box. There are some considerations to be aware of: Signal noise and ground loops. Stepper drives produce a lot of noise in a system and placing the wrong cables next to eachother will cause problems. My solution will be using 4 turns round ferrites on motor cables @ chassis end. More noise removal later if nessesary.
    On the ground loops i have to check and measure which components need isolation. Inside the box there will be 4 items powered directly from mains outlet. 56V PSU, 2x12v atx psu (to be switched to server psu later, one connected to gnd "atx1" and one floating "atx2" to supply 24v with first one), PMDX-126 breakout powers itself.

56V psu will probably not be a problem since no gnd is involved, but motor cables shield vill have to be connected to either motor or controller chassis but i do not know which is best.

PMDX has outputs for PCGnd which is same as the PSU powering the ess which will be the grounded atx.

Arduino/HeatedBedController will use first atx and use its gnd. The heated bed will use 24v from atx 1+2 and use gnd from atx1. Maybe i will add an optocoupler to isolate arduino from 24v passing the transistor on the HeatedBedController-Shield.

To sum it all up PCGnd will be chassis gnd from "atx1" and 56v, PMDX-126 and "atx2" will be floating.
    GND pin on PMDX-Gecko-Motherboard motor connector TBD
    MotorWireShield TBD.

Full Schematic will be up soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right now im adding the Polulu driver to the BOB to drive the extruder stepper.
    This is a separate diskussion here...

Schematics are waiting for this to be done...

While waiting for answers I am Designing a enclosure to replace my Temporary MDF Box...

I am also improving my solution for the heated bed. Read more here

There will potentially ba another solution availabe if i can get Greg to do some add on for the extension slot on the Ess. Encourage him here! (Hint: ModBus ESS)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Select electronics for my raptorxz

Wohaaa!!!! All parts have arrived and i can finally begin my assembly... Ive so far built a temporary table and begun assembly of the frame. More on the mechanical build and PICTURES here!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123