CNC Vinyl cutting

Thread: CNC Vinyl cutting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Vinyl cutting

I used to operate plotters at the sign shop I worked at long ago. I'd use Casmate and Graphicad back in the day. Anyway, the plotters used spring loaded adjustable swivel knives. The plotters overcut adjoining lines to account for the blade width so the cuts were connected.

I was wondering if anyone has tried cutting vinyl this way with their home made CNC machine and if they've had to account for this in their G code.

How did the vinyl turn out? How small can you go with fonts?

Darren

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a link of a vinyl cutter.
    http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/vinyl.htm
    Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been working on a vinyl cutter tool. I did a bit of testing on Friday and after a couple of false starts I think its ready:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJB2Bf4Qyc"]YouTube - Vinyl-cutting-1.wmv[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nUfqMjmRvE"]YouTube - Vinyl-cutting-2.wmv[/nomedia]

Not sure about small fonts but it did manage the antennae on a butterfly sticker. The antennae are about 2 inches long but maybe a 32nd wide at the slimmest. That bodes quite well for small fonts.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

I seen these holders on Ebay so would make implementing on a cnc router easy enough I think

I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_T View Post
    I used to operate plotters at the sign shop I worked at long ago. I'd use Casmate and Graphicad back in the day. Anyway, the plotters used spring loaded adjustable swivel knives. The plotters overcut adjoining lines to account for the blade width so the cuts were connected.

I was wondering if anyone has tried cutting vinyl this way with their home made CNC machine and if they've had to account for this in their G code.

How did the vinyl turn out? How small can you go with fonts?

Darren
    LOL I STILL work with CasMate! And I still find it easier than anything I ever used. Surprisingly it runs in Windows 7, not bad for 20 year old software!

Downloads
    Uploads

i bought this vinyl cutting head about 3 years ago, It's made by Roland.

The 'blades' are held in place with a tiny bearing ring and spring mounted. Height is adjustable by the brass ring on the outside.

I'd tried some cheaper ones off ebay but this worked a lot better but was a bit more expensive.

It didnt come with the jubilee clip(probably obviously) or the metal its attached to;a friend made made that, but the assembly worked well to.

The cnc i had at the time was a tiny kit job and the stepper drivers didnt allow for curves, so everything i cut was made up of straight lines, BUT, it was able to cut fairly quickly very thin parallel lines: with the right vinyl, 1mm apart or maybe less, i didnt measure.

It depends a lot on what youre cutting. I generalyl didnt cut to small cause it took to long to weed it *

I was going to hook this up in the week but havent got around to it what with work and that, got rolls of vinyl lying about, will post a few vids of it cutting curves if its of interest.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Vinyl cutting-photo0609-jpg   CNC Vinyl cutting-photo0610-jpg   CNC Vinyl cutting-photo0611-jpg   CNC Vinyl cutting-photo0612-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Neurofen,

How much was the Roland cutting head?

Cheers,

Bob.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

These guy's make a cutter for your CNC
    cnc 1/4" knife holder

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Shaw View Post
    Neurofen,

How much was the Roland cutting head?

Cheers,

Bob.

approx. £40 including delivery and 5 blades.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Vinyl cutting

I have cut a lot of vinyl using the widget works cutter works awesome

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Vinyl cutting-20170928_172922-jpg