Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc

Thread: Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc

I just released Tux Plot v2.2 at http://securetech-ns.ca/camm-linux.html it will drive lots of hpgl machines and has a color line subsystem especially handy for engravers, pen plotters and routers. It will work with any Linux based application that can output .ps .pdf .eps .svg file. Will also accept a wine (windows) output. Help pdf and also help on the web site for installing your usb>serial cutters. Any help needed setting it up just email me.

It's free

Easy to install...
    Copy this text
    Code:
    cd /home/user/Download/tuxplot/in<wbr>stall.sh
    Paste into Linux Terminal
    Press enter
    Sit back and watch
    Use

For those interested in installing this promising software there is 3 great videos that are easy to follow.
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seaje_YJ5sU&feature=relmfu"]how to setup a vinyl cutter to work in linux - graphtec ce-5000 - YouTube
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fRE0n5Kj5Y&feature=channel"]installing TUX PLOT in linux ubuntu vinyl cutter engraver software graphtec ce-5000 - YouTube
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCcadSkSj0&feature=channel"]cutting vinyl from inkscape with TUX PLOT in linux ubuntu graphtec ce-5000 - YouTube

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc-tux-plot-jpg   Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc-help-pdf  
    Last edited by ynneb; 03-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Impressive work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tux plot

Thanks svenakela it represents a lot of hours and pots of coffee!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary, I installed it today. Very impressive. I envy guys like you, with such talent.
    I am having troubles with getting a Gravograph IS 200 to work.
    I am sending the signal as HPGL. The Gravograph tells me that the "value is too large", even when its down to 20 bits.
    I did the install using the generic printer within Ubuntu. I am using Inkscape to export the svg files.
    Do you have any suggestions where I should start looking?
    Regards Benny

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCcadSkSj0&feature=channel"]

Last edited by ynneb; 03-21-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=ynneb;1087139]Hi Gary, I installed it today. Very impressive. I envy guys like you, with such talent.
    I am having troubles with getting a Gravograph IS 200 to work.
    I am sending the signal as HPGL. The Gravograph tells me that the "value is too large", even when its down to 20 bits.
    I did the install using the generic printer within Ubuntu. I am using Inkscape to export the svg files.
    Do you have any suggestions where I should start looking?
    Regards Benny

Well if I'm not mistaken the gravograph being a VERY nice quality machine does have a slight variation of the hpgl especially if your doing 2.5d. The pen down (z axis motor) commands are quite unique.

Can you send me a couple of captured plot jobs from known working software saved to files along with the png/jpg's and what settings were set to for xy speed z depth etc when the job was sent? I'm sure a little tweaking will get it going.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary, thanks for your responce.
    A friend of mine bought the machine at an auction for 35 bucks
    It didn't come with any software and the Gravograph website offers no appropriate downloads.
    From what I've read the blurb says, "totally compatable with any hpgl generating software".
    http://www.gravograph.com/data/documents/IS200.pdf
    I wish I could be more helpfull with details, but we have never got this machine running before. My guess is probably, "user error". The read out on the machine says that its waiting for input, then once I send a jog or cutting file it gives that "value too large" error, followed by displaying how many bytes that was sent. My stab in the dark guess is the printer driver.
    Would it help if I videod what happens, und uploaded it into this forum?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like roland engravers and cutters the xy speed is controlled by 1-15 15 is the highest speed of 60cm/sec and speed command given above 15 is ignored and the roland engraver just uses the highest speed.
    The is200 may also be like this have it's own private speed scale but when a higher number than it's scale allows is given it may NOT ignore it but error. Try a plot job with 2 as the speed. And turn off as much as possible in Tux Plot like color subsystem spindle control etc. I have a feeling it's the xy speed value it's complaining about. Also you may want to start with the "resolution" setting at 1.41 and not 3.53 as roland engravers use, that maybe generating error values also. If he no software to generate some sample files I'll look around the web and see if I can find some samples.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the suggestions Gary.
    Still no go. I turned everything off and still got the error.
    I set up the page size in Inkscape, keeping in mind I get the error with just jogging, so I dont think Inkscape is the problem.
    I have trawled the net even 6 pages deep in Google.
    I guess we tried. Thanks for your help though.
    Benny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One last check, make sure "Lower Left" 0,0 origin is checked in advanced options. If it's not it will generate negative coordinates in which the value will cause an error. Other than that the firmware may have been updated to the newest version that only allows data from gravograph software
    If you like open advanced options and email me a screenshot so I can confirm all the settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary, I did the tests as directed and have even taken screen captures.
    No show again.

I think I'll do some hunting to see how to wind back the firmware.

Damn Gravograph and their propriety software. (All potential buyers of Gravograph, please think twice before doing so.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc-screenshot-jobname-test-svg-job-png   Free Tux Plot v2.2 for vinyl cutters, engravers, pen plotters etc-screenshot-new-document-1-inkscape-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First uncheck auto plot near ok button.
    Second check on xy speed (enable it) set to 5
    Set resolution to 1.4139.
    Next check on blade/tool commands in advanced
    then click "save as defaults"
    "printer" is the name of your Gravograph right?
    By the way what port is this using printer port, usb ? If the above settings still generate an error I think it maybe a cable or port speed (if usb ) problem. If you have it via usb change in printer properties the port speed to 9600, 8,N.1 rts/cts but it must be somewhere on the web what your machine wants for speeds via usb.
    If printer port try another printer cable, bi-directional and maybe even toggle the printer port in the pc bios to ecp.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I just found some specs. your resolution is very close to the roland so set resolution to 3.53 for now that may be the problem actually.
    And I see it has no usb so your probably using printer port if you have another cable try it.

Make your test squares very tiny in the center of the media square in Inkscape.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, I just carried out the two experiments and setting from your last two posts.
    I think I will try to find another printer cable. Yes you are correct that it does not have USB.
    I notice when the Gravograph boots up it says "Boot 2.1" followed by "Version2.5"
    I also went into the PC Bios to check the parallel settings. I scrolled through its options but it showed about 6 unrelated options, not ecp.

I dont have a spare cable so it may take a day or tow b4 I post back.

EDIT: Is there any way to avoid having to reload the job each time ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    Gary, I just carried out the two experiments and setting from your last two posts.
    I think I will try to find another printer cable. Yes you are correct that it does not have USB.
    I notice when the Gravograph boots up it says "Boot 2.1" followed by "Version2.5"
    I also went into the PC Bios to check the parallel settings. I scrolled through its options but it showed about 6 unrelated options, not ecp.

I dont have a spare cable so it may take a day or tow b4 I post back.

EDIT: Is there any way to avoid having to reload the job each time ?
    Yes click the plot now button instead of "ok" it maintains the job for repeats. Or in advanced options toggle on the color to plot and select the "plot" button near the color bar. It will keep the job loaded also.

In the bios it may be listed as epp also

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tux Plot Version 3.0 is now available at the same website it has speed and feature improvements like nested fills and 4 simultaneous open job ability.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, I'm thinking of bying a used plotter. Is there any special model you think works better with Tux Plot?
    I need to cut long vinylstickers (sometimes over 3 m), but only 60 cm width (mostly at 15 cm though).

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there some reason this thread is in the LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) forum?

It certainly seems out of place since it doesn't seem to use LinuxCNC.

Ken

Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lerman View Post
    Is there some reason this thread is in the LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) forum?

It certainly seems out of place since it doesn't seem to use LinuxCNC.

Ken
    True, never thought about it. I moved it to a better location that hopefully gives more attention.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Gary, I'm thinking of bying a used plotter. Is there any special model you think works better with Tux Plot?
    I need to cut long vinylstickers (sometimes over 3 m), but only 60 cm width (mostly at 15 cm though).
    If on an extreme budget (like $50) look for a roland pen plotter. They make fantastic vinyl cutters with the roland blade holder on ebay. I just found a 42" roland grx400ar plotter on kijiji with $200 in pens and manual for $40. They use standard HPGL code. If your budget is much higher a graphtec or roland are nice high quality machine, even the older models. (10 year old mercedes is still a nice car 10 years later )
    From my experience AVOID the imports from asia!!