New Machine Build Planning for PP 5x10 water table

Thread: Planning for PP 5x10 water table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Planning for PP 5x10 water table

Hi folks. I appreciate all the great info here. I'm an avid hobbyist that would love to cross over to a small business. After much sweating over the decision, I'm starting to order parts to build a 5x10 Magnum II. I've heard many people talk about braking up the water pan. I can't find stock bigger than 5x10, so does that mean I'm 'stuck' with the conventional weld-up for the water pan?

I'm also going to build a air pressure fill/drain system, but I'm not sure I like the 55 gallon barrel design. Anyone using a different style tank? I've run across a used low profile rectangular 100+ gallon diesel tank on Craigslist. I thought that might be more suitable to fit under the table if I can clean it out?

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Planning for PP 5x10 water table

Well, I'm gonna weld up the water pan. Ordered the steel, picking it up Friday. Still planning the fill/drain system.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the exact same boat. On here looking for someone who home built a 5x10 water table. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, I have another question. What's the optimum height for a 5x10? A guy I know has a table where the slats are at 29.5". PP tables end up at about 36", more if you have casters instead of levelers. My friend at 29 says he'd go a little higher because bending over and changing consumables is a hassle for him. I started cutting legs, and I think I'm gonna knock 6" off of the plan height. Any opinions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by patclem View Post
    So, I have another question. What's the optimum height for a 5x10? A guy I know has a table where the slats are at 29.5". PP tables end up at about 36", more if you have casters instead of levelers. My friend at 29 says he'd go a little higher because bending over and changing consumables is a hassle for him. I started cutting legs, and I think I'm gonna knock 6" off of the plan height. Any opinions?
    When I get home tomorrow I can measure my height. I just winged it but it seems to be the perfect height for picking out cut steel, changing consumables, cleaning....
    I also inset the base of my table 3 inches in so as not to kick it with your boots or shins every time I walked up. I'm loving my dimensions to this point.
    I'll let you know tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I built my 5x10 PPLLC water tray to their blueprint height. It's a good height IMO. Plus my table sits about 1" off the ground when its on the leveling feet and still good.

Used 3/16" x 3" angle, 11ga sheet, 11ga slats, and 3/16" x 1" for the slat holders. Mill sheared the slats (gave me twice as many as I ordered for same price, too!). I went with 36 slats since I will rarely cut anything over 1/2" and not likely a large sheet of it. Slats are 2.75" tall (not 3" per PP print) so the slats are pretty much even with the water tray frame (wanted to be able to get water closer to material for SS and aluminum). Then welded a ground post on one long size close to a corner.

Added: You can always put it on blocks if it's too short, but if it's too tall you're screwed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome. I do see that the plans have the slats slightly above the edge of the angle.

My bottom bowed really bad, even after i worked really hard to prevent it. Several folks said to weld tabs to the pan and tack it down. I think that's what I'll do. Things were really coming together and moving fast, and now it's moving grindingly slow.

I have the water bladder, which is a 115 gallon diesel tank off a trailer generator. Still have to wash it out and do some modifications on it for the plumbing and air.

I still have to plumb my air dryer and shop air for that matter. My shop is only about 3 months old.

My CandCNC electronics are sitting in my living room. I'm already getting messages to apply updates, and I haven't even powered it on! Sigh. I need to read the setup manual, again.

I have two friends with businesses that already want me to cut some signs. I guess that means a) I'm in a little bit of a hurry, and b) build it and they will come.

Thanks again for the replies. Keep on chugging along.

Downloads
    Uploads

My water table warped maybe 1/8" overall after welding. I c-clamped it to the table when I welded the water table to the main table. And when welding the sheet to frame, I tacked every 6" beforehand and then welded in 4-5" beads bouncing around the table around to keep things cool.

Same deal...my electronics arrived yesterday, my 100gal oil tank needs cleaned and welded, and putting in my air line system this weekend. Sweating-in about 150' of copper should be FUN. Not.

And I've also got a couple people asking me when I can cut like every 2-3 days, lol.

Go, go, go man!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DMoneyAllstar View Post
    My water table warped maybe 1/8" overall after welding. I c-clamped it to the table when I welded the water table to the main table. And when welding the sheet to frame, I tacked every 6" beforehand and then welded in 4-5" beads bouncing around the table around to keep things cool.

Same deal...my electronics arrived yesterday, my 100gal oil tank needs cleaned and welded, and putting in my air line system this weekend. Sweating-in about 150' of copper should be FUN. Not.

And I've also got a couple people asking me when I can cut like every 2-3 days, lol.

Go, go, go man!
    Well, I lost almost another week traveling with my REAL job. Tonight and through the weekend, I'll be tacking the water pan down to the table. I'll have to figure out how to get to the underneath for paint. Sigh.

How are you going to clean out your oil tank? I'm just gonna fill mine with Dawn soap and slosh it back and forth over a 4x4 or 6x6, then drain it out a couple of times.

If I had to do over again, I'd probably do a better job 1) because I can lay a better MIG bead now, and 2) I'd be much more patient with my skip-around procedure. I'll come back and post some pictures later.