Firearms Engraving Dragon Design

Thread: Firearms Engraving Dragon Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Firearms Engraving Dragon Design

Custom engraving a Dragon Design on a stainless steel handgun slide.
    I've attached two images one of the Dragon Design on paper and the other is the handgun slide.
    I have seen a lot of firearms engraving done using a laser and hand engraving, but not many with a rotary engraver.
    I can't remember seeing a rotary engraver engrave a design on a firearm with as much detail as this Dragon Design has.
    Oh I should note I will be engraving using the diamond scratch / drag method so the cutter will not be rotating.
    The machine I'm using is a Vision VE-810 Engraver which is a CNC Rotary Engraver.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_4700-jpg   Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_3748-jpg  
    Last edited by CNC602; 06-15-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the final photos of the Custom Dragon Engraved Handgun Slide.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-dragon_slide1-jpg   Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-dragon_slide2-jpg   Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_5372b-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good!

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Looks good!

Matt
    Thanks Matt!

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a three more photos of the engraved Handgun, two photos with the printed dragon design side and front view and one photo on the engraving machine.
    Also here is a link to a video Click here to view Custom Dragon Handgun Engraving Video.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_4684b-jpg   Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_4691-jpg   Firearms Engraving Dragon Design-img_4311-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool!

So the dragon was all drag engraving, or was the cutter being spun?

Best,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Cool!

So the dragon was all drag engraving, or was the cutter being spun?

Best,

BW
    Yes it was all diamond drag or some call it scratch engraving. Nope the cutter was not spun.
    The most difficult part as with any job I imagine is making sure everything was aligned correctly, having a quick lock vise and a laser pointer to preview the job helped a lot.
    Especially if you can't afford to make a mistake, I guess that goes without saying. lol :-)

Last edited by CNC602; 06-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Job CNC.
    I've built up many 1911 style handguns and most are hardened to the point of painful filing with a checkering file (ask my checkered thumb@#$%^&*). Of course, I'm cutting much deeper than your scratch pattern. How deep do you think you penetrated the surface of the stainless?
    Are you planning any type of finish other than a stainless polish? I'll bet it would look great with a matt blue finish (if it were carbon).
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Nice Job CNC.
    I've built up many 1911 style handguns and most are hardened to the point of painful filing with a checkering file (ask my checkered thumb@#$%^&*). Of course, I'm cutting much deeper than your scratch pattern. How deep do you think you penetrated the surface of the stainless?
    Are you planning any type of finish other than a stainless polish? I'll bet it would look great with a matt blue finish (if it were carbon).
    Bill
    Yikes! By hand sounds painful! If I remember correctly I think I set it to a depth of .002. I could actually go deeper but then the lines would be thicker and the level of detail would be lost. There are no plans to do another firearms engraving project as of yet, but this seems to be a popular application (firearms engraving) I'd really like to do a bigger project on our 2550 router / engraver, like a rifle perhaps.. Maybe a Bazooka or Flame Thrower lol joking.

Downloads
    Uploads

To me dragging an engraving bit to produce such a work of art almost seems like black magic! Awesome job.

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    To me dragging an engraving bit to produce such a work of art almost seems like black magic! Awesome job.

cheers,
    Ian
    Black Magic !! lol
    In most cases that I know of, rotary engraving systems have been used
    mainly to serialize firearms because you can engrave deeper than a laser
    engraver on metal (and most materials) and the metal does not have to be
    coated. Also compared to stamping, rotary engraving marks at a consistent
    depth. And I've heard dot peen is deafening (no pun intended).

Well... my point is when it comes to firearms engraving with a rotary engraver,
    you can do more than serializing. It is possible to do very detailed beautiful custom work.
    But of course it would take some practice, possibly specialize on one type of gun or part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just wondering, anyone out there ever engrave a firearm, using a rotary or laser engraver?

Last edited by CNC602; 06-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.