Plastic Acrylic LED Signs

Thread: Plastic Acrylic LED Signs

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plastic Acrylic LED Signs

Here are some Acrylic LED Signs. Really easy to make, just need a piece of Acrylic and a LED light box.
    For these LED Engraved Acrylic Signs, I used a Vision Engraving & Routing Systems 1624 Engraver and a Express Small Engraver

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3357-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3361-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3354-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3355-jpg  

Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3562-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-img_3584-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default LED Signs

Hi,

Nice looking signs. Keep up the good work.

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

If anyone wants to download the Robot file click below
    You can download the Robot graphic at this link- http://www.visionengravers.com/visiongraphics/2012/0412-Robot.zip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where can I find an LED light box?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have 10' of mini led light bars in 2' strips i also have 2 9" neon tubes that came with a switch box and 12v plug. now is here i get confused. i want to take all these lights and just conncect all the + and - wires together and put them to the togle switch. now ive heard that i need a resistor for the high watt led lights. is this true? and with the neon tubes can i wire all the leds to it. i want to because it has a beat control finction.
    so what im thinking is wiring all led strips to neon tube controler cutting off the 12v plug and wiring to a toggle switch.flexible led strip lighting id leave out the switch but i want a bunch of blue led switches to glow aswell

Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't you just use a diode, resistor and hid LEDs to make your strip then you can plug it directly in to the wall?

http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome looking signs. What kind of bit did you use. I tried my hand at it and have had mixed results...

These are cut with a 60 degree freud v bit. Any advice would be great

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-hogwarts-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-hogwarts-lit-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-karen-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-karen-lit-jpg  

Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-karen-lit-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep the spindle speeds low if you have a two flute bit. I use an insert bit at 90* to do most of my signs with the kids in school. We use a diode with a back pressure of over 120v, a 1/4 w 22k ohm resistor and a string of LEDs everything is wired in series with the cathodes of the LEDs and the diodes both aligned. Ac hot line is attached to the diode and the neutral is attached to the resistor end. The whole circuit is encapsulated in polyester resin. I test all circuits out before letting the students use them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-image-1242569149-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-image-170486954-jpg   Plastic Acrylic LED Signs-image-1174862841-jpg  
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to interject, but for safety's sake - doesn't that circuit apply rectified line voltage across a 1/4W resistor?

Back of the envelope that's about 5mA putting dissipated power at I^2 * R around at least 1/2W. What am I missing?

eta: beautiful, inspiring work btw

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post
    Sorry to interject, but for safety's sake - doesn't that circuit apply rectified line voltage across a 1/4W resistor?

Back of the envelope that's about 5mA putting dissipated power at I^2 * R around at least 1/2W. What am I missing?

eta: beautiful, inspiring work btw
    I'm not an engineer but I remember my college electronics class that when dealing with ac electronics multiply the dc answer by .7 something. I'm sure I'm wrong with the math but the circuit does work remains cool and is incredibly cheap to produce. I should put a current meter and measure the amount going through the circuit. I'll try that the next time I'm doing this project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am really interested in Plastic Acrylic LED Signs to make it. I am trying to make LED SIGN. But all in vain. Can any one share with me video, how to make Acrylic LED signs?

Downloads
    Uploads

We use a 1 flute insert blade from Amana tools at either 90* or 60*, and 15Krpm, 40-60ipm

You must use cast acrylic!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent74 View Post
    I am really interested in Plastic Acrylic LED Signs to make it. I am trying to make LED SIGN. But all in vain. Can any one share with me video, how to make Acrylic LED signs?
    signwriting melbourne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post

By my calcs I get full wave rectified 120v AC across a series resistor 22k and about 6 volts of diodes, that would be approx 114v on the 22k resistor or 5.18mA through the resistor.

However the single diode in the chain means it's a half wave rectifier so the parts only conduct through one mains half cycle (50% of the time).

So average LED current is approx 2.5mA, and average resistor dissipation is about 114v * 0.0025A = 0.285W.

Being set in resin helps remove the heat from the resistor, and 0.285 watts is low enough that it will barely get warm to the touch and the whole thing should be quite safe.

A good choice of resistor package would be a 1W type, the are only a bit larger that a 1/4 or 1/2 watt type and a few cents more expensive. The one in the photo looks like 1/4W type but sometimes the same size is sold as safe for 1/4W and 1/2W. Personally I would suggest using a 1W resistor in future builds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the math! The resistors are indeed 1/4 watt. I ordered 1/2w resistors this year. I agree with your math that 1w resistors would be the better choice. I'll see if any of the 230+ nightlights we are making with the kids still work after they plug them in for an extended period of time. With my own nightlight, it has been plugged in for over a month strait without even getting warm.

I think with a fully rectified circuit it would be even better, but, we can't afford the extra 3 diodes and the complexity they would bring. Remember, it's seventh graders we are doing this project with!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    By my calcs I get full wave rectified 120v AC across a series resistor 22k and about 6 volts of diodes, that would be approx 114v on the 22k resistor or 5.18mA through the resistor.

However the single diode in the chain means it's a half wave rectifier so the parts only conduct through one mains half cycle (50% of the time).

So average LED current is approx 2.5mA, and average resistor dissipation is about 114v * 0.0025A = 0.285W.

Being set in resin helps remove the heat from the resistor, and 0.285 watts is low enough that it will barely get warm to the touch and the whole thing should be quite safe.

A good choice of resistor package would be a 1W type, the are only a bit larger that a 1/4 or 1/2 watt type and a few cents more expensive. The one in the photo looks like 1/4W type but sometimes the same size is sold as safe for 1/4W and 1/2W. Personally I would suggest using a 1W resistor in future builds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plastic Acrylic LED Signs

Good work, intresting.

Sorry my poor english, if you have any questions, please contact me
    www.facebook.com/Redmnzp ; Skype: Redmnzp

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plastic Acrylic LED Signs

Totally cool! This is something I want to get into.
    Alex~