How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for??? - Page 3

View Poll Results: How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for???

Voters
385. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 29.87%
  • No

270 70.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for???

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    About 1/25th of an average 1 thou hair from my head.
    That is some thin hair, LOL. Mine on average is .003 to .004 thick, even the silver ones

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Ouch. I just re measured.

Head hair. 0.001"
    Beard 0.004" Guess there are a few others that size too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Engraving surface...

Thanks neilw20, but if .00005" is used for engraving, but then, how FLAT is surface required to be? is this possible in a job shop environment (just curious)?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machine setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncprofessor View Post
    Thanks neilw20, but if .00005" is used for engraving, but then, how FLAT is surface required to be? is this possible in a job shop environment (just curious)?
    More than likely .0002 to .0005. The rule for inspection equipment per application is the tolerance divided by 4. Most shops do not follow this rule mainly because they do not have experienced help.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stated print tolerance vs. inspection equipment calibration

Okay, so the mentioned .00005” applies to the inspection equipment capacity/calibration rather than to the stated tolerance on the print, right? As far as the inexperienced help go, that is unfortunately - very true!

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, so the mentioned .00005” applies to the inspection equipment capacity/calibration rather than to the stated tolerance on the print, right? As far as the inexperienced help go, that is unfortunately - very true!
    To put it as simply as possible. You should have inspection equipment that is more accurate than what your measuring.

A good example is using a Micrometer with .0001 Graduations to check a +-.0005 Tolerance on an OD. You should not be using a Dial Caliper, Vernier, or Digital Caliper. These are the wrong instruments.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    To put it as simply as possible. You should have inspection equipment that is more accurate than what your measuring.

A good example is using a Micrometer with .0001 Graduations to check a +-.0005 Tolerance on an OD. You should not be using a Dial Caliper, Vernier, or Digital Caliper. These are the wrong instruments.
    Thanks tobyaxis, I got it! Just as I thought, the .00005 is for inspection equipment accuracy/calibration rather than for measuring the print tolerance of .00005, otherwise we would need to use a measuring tool to .0000125" measuring capacity.

PS - I admit, I should have red first original post before I posed the question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks tobyaxis, I got it! Just as I thought, the .00005 is for inspection equipment accuracy/calibration rather than for measuring the print tolerance of .00005, otherwise we would need to use a measuring tool to .0000125" measuring capacity.

PS - I admit, I should have red first original post before I posed the question.
    LOL, it's all good.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i use mine for resetting the magazines on my pops coffee table after visits...should one go askew...yikes!

Downloads
    Uploads

Used for setting up the boring head on a lathe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123