How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for??? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for???

Voters
385. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 29.87%
  • No

270 70.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have .00005 Indicators and what do you use them for???

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

While most of my surface gages and height gages are B&S, my ultra fine indicators are InterRapid. I just got lucky when one of the really good old time Tool & die makers opted for early retirement instead of layoff at a company I was working at. He had 3 complete sets of tools for everything and decided to sell off sets 2 and 3. He chose to keep all his original tools for sentimental value and the fact they had served him well and got him this far.

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, he wanted me to get them because he said I was the only one he knew he trusted to treat them right AND use them to there best potential.

They stay in there cases most the time, I generally only use them for setting up punch grinding or serious inspection. My general use indicators are TESA...

I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a tall Tesa Hite, my big pink Starrett surface plate looks so empty without one.

BTW how many surface plates do you guys have. I have 4 at home, and 2 more of mine are at the shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    While most of my surface gages and height gages are B&S, my ultra fine indicators are InterRapid. I just got lucky when one of the really good old time Tool & die makers opted for early retirement instead of layoff at a company I was working at. He had 3 complete sets of tools for everything and decided to sell off sets 2 and 3. He chose to keep all his original tools for sentimental value and the fact they had served him well and got him this far.

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, he wanted me to get them because he said I was the only one he knew he trusted to treat them right AND use them to there best potential.

They stay in there cases most the time, I generally only use them for setting up punch grinding or serious inspection. My general use indicators are TESA...

I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a tall Tesa Hite, my big pink Starrett surface plate looks so empty without one.

BTW how many surface plates do you guys have. I have 4 at home, and 2 more of mine are at the shop.
    I have 2. A small 9x12x2 Tool Room and an 18x24x4 for the home shop that I would never take to work because people borrow without asking not to mention, never return them.

If it can't be locked up in the Toolbox, it stays in the shop at home. A good example would be my Digital Height Gage which stays in it's case until needed. Granted it's not a Mitutoyo or Starrett but still way too expensive ( Fowler ) to bring to a job.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy O.T. Theft

Its sad really - when getting caught reaching into someone elses box is a flogging offense. But it seems if things are not welded to a concrete anchor heavier than the forklift can move your property will some how grow legs and migrate of its own volition.

The section of my roll away I left unlocked during my shift mainly held expendable Harbor Freight throw away tools, and even those seemed to disappear too often.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Its sad really - when getting caught reaching into someone elses box is a flogging offense. But it seems if things are not welded to a concrete anchor heavier than the forklift can move your property will some how grow legs and migrate of its own volition.

The section of my roll away I left unlocked during my shift mainly held expendable Harbor Freight throw away tools, and even those seemed to disappear too often.
    I leave 1 large drawer empty in my Kennedy in which the Tools of the Day/Job go. If I walk away the Drawer gets closed and box locked. I have been questioned about this and the reply is usually, " These are not your tools, therefore this is none of your business"??.

This is a shame to be honest.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation NEED HELP

Hi. this is Rajesh.

for power supply we are using a 3 phase online ups with battery backup having an output of +- 1% of pure sine wave for the last 3 yrs.

Recently we are facing faliures in one axis card and vector drive.

what would be the probable causes and what can we do???

would be thankful for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshmalhotra View Post
    Hi. this is Rajesh.

for power supply we are using a 3 phase online ups with battery backup having an output of +- 1% of pure sine wave for the last 3 yrs.

Recently we are facing faliures in one axis card and vector drive.

what would be the probable causes and what can we do???

would be thankful for your help.

LOL I don't get to use this often

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default indicater

after you get past .0000 it might be better to use air gauging for accuracy.

Last edited by ljd10; 01-29-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: wrong category

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never had the need for anything more than a .0005 indicator. In the 12+ years I've been at my current job, I've never had the need to lock my box or even close the lid, either. Guess I've been fortunate so far! I have worked at places in the past you couldn't go to the restroom without taking your belongings with you. What a miserable environment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nero D'avola

I do have a best test B&S .00005 and it is the most stable indicator,and repeatable I own and actually cost a little less than some of the other ones, (yes, interapids, other B&S "good", last word,gem's,luftkin). I once asked an old guy which indicator I should buy .001 last word or a .0005 last word. He said well son if you can't tell where half way between two lines is maybe you should consider another occupation. thought about and decided he was right and bought the .oo1 last word. ( last words were in favor, and they are still a fully capable ind.

Downloads
    Uploads

We don't use B&S .00005 indicators. We do have laser micrometers that measure in that range or better.

Wayne Hill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default matsura mx control

Hi there.
    I have alarms 333, 332. Z axis and Y axis fuses.
    can you tell me where are located this fuses

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 00005 indicators

I only ever used them as a comparator!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I am metric mostly.

My DTI is like the B&S except in 0.002mm per division. (0.0000787")
    I use it clock my vice, ground surfaces and bending of my SX3 column.
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Asq3GU-Qyk"]YouTube- X3 balance weight.mp4
    Have a look at about 2:30 on this video and seem my (sorry it is blurry due to phone camera) DTI measuring 2 microns deflection.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

we have a precision room at school. its closed off to the rest with its own temp control, can ALWAYS stays at 72 degrees. nd the instructer makes us stay in there for 15 minutes so the room can adjust before we do anything, and are told not to hold anything in our hands longer than Absolutely nessecary! lol

it might be over kill, but ive seen the heat from my hand thrown off a millionths gauge, to the points its out of range. and for "school purposes" we want it to be right!

as a side note, i had an engine builder at Rousch racing get mad at me because i picked up one of the pistons that he had been letting sit for like 6 hours so they were all the same temp...lol. and he had been holding the micrometer pretty much all day so it would be the same temp for all readings, and to be honest im pretty sure he was only measuring to .0001...it was funny to see him wig out lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

duplicate

Downloads
    Uploads

I use mine for machine setup!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

i thought my .0001" indicator was super precise!

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Mine is finer than that.

I just dug out a 1 micron/division Dial indicator
    200 microns / rev.
    1 mm full range. (5 turns)
    For you imperialists, that is 0.00004"
    About 1/25th of an average 1 thou hair from my head.
    I will take a photo when I get a chance.
    Great for setting a surface flat before engraving.
    Shows you what warmth can do to a machine too.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question .00005" Indicator

Where do you use it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I repeat

Quote Originally Posted by cncprofessor View Post
    Where do you use it?
    As I said...
    Great for setting a surface flat and level before engraving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast