Who is making money with their CNC... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Who is making money with their CNC machine?

Voters
1018. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not a dime! I use it for fun/my own projects.

248 24.36%
  • Mainly a hobby, any money made is just gravy.

207 20.33%
  • I make some on-the-side money, not quitting my day job!

247 24.26%
  • I better make money! This machine IS my job!

316 31.04%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is making money with their CNC...

Chamm128

Yeah, I'm making money........................................Disap pear that is, LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chamm128
    Yeah, I'm making money........................................Disap pear that is, LOL.
    My machine isn't even done yet, and I am pretty good at that too!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vipertx- I completely agree with you if one is truly in the business of fabrication and machine shop. My machine is home built and because of the evolvution and upgrades, I cannot put an accurate cost in time or labor. Just like buliding a hot-rod it would be a mistake to assign a labor cost to it, it would be too discourageing and could well end the whole project. Most of what I do in this area is a labor of love and it has become a pay for itself hobby. The plasma table pays enough that I can consider adding more toys, IE: CNC of my mill/drill. I do realize how important it is to remove as much manual labor as possible. and follow that path as far I can. A bit of brag here, on one job, I had a large number of holes to tap in 5/16" plate and by nudging hole size a bit I was able to locate and burn all the holes, and with a tap in a cordless drill I tapped good holes in a hurry.

never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    If there is any interest, I could write up a business case.....Maybe the drill usage is $0.20 + $10 (labor cost).....before long you realize why it's sometimes better to remove as much of the manual labor as possible.

You Peaked my curiosity........

Industrial automation ????
    www.challengermechtech.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

traveler
    you can't assign cost to machines the such as we build ,you need to assign the cost
    in man hours + material .keeps it simple.
    mike

Downloads
    Uploads

kind of a dumb question (doesn't fit in this thread but I didnt think it was worth making a new one). Whats the difference between a mill and a cnc?

Downloads
    Uploads

CNC=Computer Numerical Control=Any machine operated by computer.
    MILLING Machine=a device to cut material in a linear fashion with a rotating tool

Combined they equal CNC MILLING MACHINE

Downloads
    Uploads

In a reality i wanna use it to make money but have to get this built(shop) and setup (web page) ect just trying to get settled in and setup so for now more hobby/learning but the day will come ... the whole reason i got involved with the cnc is so i could cut the parts i need and i can buy the material cheaper then pre made units..... but as far as cutting with out a cnc???? does your straight lines look like figure eights??????? hehehe mine did now i can get straight lines

Downloads
    Uploads

if you count all the time from when I started at 16yrs old to when I started a machine shop.. .....welll...... lost alot of money, but it was fun. Now that I own a shop with real machines. I only lost money the first year, and now I am making money lots of it, but I spend it pretty fast too So ya I make money but at a hobby level nope I was having too much fun.

Now that I am getting back into the hobby end (because work is getting pretty damn automated) I am definitely not make money (in the hobby end) but I damn sure am spending it fast. probably could of bought a minimill by now.

But where is the fun in that!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

I better make money! This machine IS my job!
    Well, this is only one of a number of machines but it is how I eek out a living. This machine was built specifically for two customers. One needs a lot of tracer lathe work so I intend to use it to make templates for them. The other client needs fixtures that seem to get increasingly smaller so I built a small machine that's a bit more suited to drilling all those .015/.035 holes.

I started it in Dec. and it has just reached the point where the cash flow should start to go in the other direction. ;-)

If anyone is interested, here's a construction album/slideshow: http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/

Regards,
    Walt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doanwannapickle
    If anyone is interested, here's a construction album/slideshow: http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/

Regards,
    Walt

Awesome journal Walt, I'm still digesting some of your ideas Thanks for sharing

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads

Not really making money but cutting parts for other to get started.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10067

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did build aplasma cnc with flashcut controls and that machine make more money than any othe in the shop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No INcome ... All OUTgo

Downloads
    Uploads

No INcome ... All OUTgo

Yeah, I can remember when it was fun spending all that money

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doanwannapickle
    Well, this is only one of a number of machines but it is how I eek out a living. This machine was built specifically for two customers. One needs a lot of tracer lathe work so I intend to use it to make templates for them. The other client needs fixtures that seem to get increasingly smaller so I built a small machine that's a bit more suited to drilling all those .015/.035 holes.

I started it in Dec. and it has just reached the point where the cash flow should start to go in the other direction. ;-)

Regards,
    Walt
    Nice, very nice indeed! Lots of out go on that deal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making money with my cnc machine

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    So who built their CNC Mill/Router/Lathe and is making money with it?
    Started using my Taig mill three years ago to make my jewellery molds. I now need another machine and am looking into servo motors. Jewellery made from my milling machine now accounts for approximately half my buisness.
    Wawatobi

Downloads
    Uploads

wawatobi...any examples of your work??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Useless information

Sorry, I don't have a web site to display my work. I could send some pictures if
    you're interested. I got started with cnc when I bought a computerized engraving machine for the trophy part of my business twenty years ago. I made
    my own cutters and cut simple planimetric stuff. The z axis on my machine was
    not programable so I had to machine level by level, resetting the height by hand
    for each level. kind of tedious! I made parts for my jewellery designs rather than
    whole designs. I finally took the plunge and bought a Taig cnc machine. I need another machine to avoid going to my shop on weekends to use the mill. I would like to use servos on a Taig mill but the price is too much right now for a turnkey system. That's why I joined this forum. I'd like to try to assemble a 4axis
    driver using gecko 320 drives. I'm a little leary because I don't know anything about power supplies or electronics in general.
    Cheers
    p.s. Wawatobi is a village I lived in while working on an irrigation project in Sulawesi, Indonesia during the early eighties.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you've done a nice job with your Taig.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast