Poll: Who wants to see a Hobby CNC Magazine

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Hobby CNC Magazine

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way, Keep it free!

21 11.73%
  • Yeah, But i wouldn't pay for it!

43 24.02%
  • Awsome Idea, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat!

105 58.66%
  • Hell Yes, I'd even be willing to help get this off the ground!

10 5.59%

Thread: Poll: Who wants to see a Hobby CNC Magazine

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Poll: Who wants to see a Hobby CNC Magazine

Hello All,

I was just thinking that there really isn't much out there in the way of a subscription magazine for the Hobbyist CNC'er. So i thought that it would be great to see if there was a way a monthly cnczone magazine could be created. It could deal with all the how to topics and plans, ideas, creations etc, maybe some that are not posted online and plenty of photos etc. People can write their experiences and post them in and the best could get prizes. That way someone would just have to do the grammer and compiling. Etc. I would love to have something on the shelf to reference when building and something to read when im not building or playing with the cnc itself.

I just wanted to see what others thought. Would you pay for it? I have no idea how to go about it but i have seen other sites that have created similar. With the little time i get i wouldnt be able to do much so if anyone likes the idea and would be willing to get it off the ground it would be great. Also ideas greatly welcomed. Again i hope im not stepping on toes but this was just a thought i've had for a while.

Daniel
    P.S More thinking as i go along, it could also release a year book that outlines all the best topics, machines etc posts and plans etc. I could see a great worthwhile magazine. Maybe this might start something that everyone can enjoy.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that's a great idea, but. I'd guess that it could mean, a subscription fee to the web site to support the publishing cost. We could be looking at paying for both the cnczone here, and, the magazine as well. We now enjoy great open access to all this fertile ground, I'm not sure that messing with it is a good idea after all. I think I want to take back my vote and say " yeah, but not so much".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think a cnc hobby mag would be great, but the last thing i would want is one based around these forums. What makes this place great is that its an open forum with lots of users, and it would suck if it was a paid-for service, simply because the volume of expertise would be greatly reduced.

I already subscribe to a couple of hobbyist magazines, and i pay for good quality vetted and well written articles with decent documentation. I dont think you will get that standard by just writing up what people are talking about on a forum without being directly involved.

Take for example model engineers workshop, which last month started a series on cnc milling on the KX1. The magazine has a good range of articles and shows about the quality of writing / documentation people will expect. Now i would happily buy a cnc mag as well, but would expect similar quality.

Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree, the only reason i have a cnc machine and well on the way to building more, is due to the free content on this site. However i still feel as tho more could be acomplished by a small fee. having a collection of plans etc in print would be great. Imagine a complete article on building say a Joes 4'x4' Hybrid machine, a comparison between hardware like ballscrews etc, tips on how to balance the gantry etc. I feel the magazine could have an advertisment page to allow companies like hobbycnc and other companies to advertise, would bring in some good money to help with costs.

Like i said im not 100% certain how this all would work but im sure it would be benefitial for all of us if there was a way to organise and find a way to still have free cntent but also a way that members/subscribers recived some extras. Maybe someone here has an idea on how we could do it.

Daniel

Downloads
    Uploads

Daedalus,

Again i agree with you too. Few years ago i was into hobby fireworks, there was a site where everything was free and it was great, but after subscribing to another website the articles there were better, written so well and there was so much extra information that most poeple missed or didn't want to give up for free(i guess much like the model engineers etc). Also the books published,monthly newsletters/magazines were also the same.

The sites were great lots of information on the free site that got you into it all, but it was alot better to upgrade and get the better articles and newer projects, plans and files. I feel theres only so much to be hand fed and also after speaking with a few of the respected people and even some new people with alot of information, they have not posted because theres no incentive to do so.

Again im all for the free content but i can see a huge benfit from having some type of idea that would work for everyone to also have a subscrition service with a published article. The hardest part is trying to figure out just how to do it to suit everyone.

Daniel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

May i make one suggestion to you twistedfuse, have you considered contacting one of the existing machininst magazines about doing an article or two? Im sure they must have a considerable interest in cnc related content, even if its not their main content. Whilst this probably isnt what you want in the end, it might be a useful exercise in getting to know whats involved.

--Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

Not a bad idea. Hadn't thought about that. Might be a way to fill in the time till we can all think about how to do something like this. lol.

Daniel

Downloads
    Uploads

For what its worth -- there was an online magazine - right here on the site!
    Guess it sort of fell off the side I guess - not too many participants - but for a good fun for a while. It did help "consolidate" some of the frequently asked questions etc.
    As a bonus -- Paul (owner/admin) sent out emails/postings when new material was added.

Mind you, it was just "us" guys as authors and not slick National Geographic coffee table magazine not in print form -- but ecologically sound!

Model Engineer?ing and occasionally Shop-whatever are fun to look at - but my paper collection gets smaller all the time - but what a full hard disk with pdfs!

Jim

BTW - the reminants magazine can still be accessed on the site (missing some graphics etc) - and you'll note the dates are all outta' whack - 99 - well before the site opened. Must be left over Y2K reboot!

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a great idea to me. Almost all other hobby magazines also make money off the adds they have in them in the back. And it is a great way to get people interested in the hobby. There are millions of people out there that have never even heard of DIY CNC. But if they where at the doctors office waiting and they picked up a copy of cnczone and browsed through it it might spark some ingenious idea in someone that may innovate the entire field of DIY CNC. Hey yea never know?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ditto's on the mag idea.

I subscribe to both Nuts and Volts, & Servo Mag these guys cater to hobby robotics. Not to far removed from what we do, and they have articles on CNC and machining. Perhaps they might be interested in something?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have You guys forgotten about Digital Machinist ?????

archie =) =) =)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd buy a copy if the contents suited my needs.

Outside of a gift subscription to RD, I am not the subscribing type.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digital machinist has been looking for people to submit articles.
    Some of the long term builds here on this site would make for excellent articles. Unfortunately, I don't take enough pictures or create enough documentation for what I build - I'm having too much fun building it to stop and take pictures.

NEATman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NEATman View Post
    Digital machinist has been looking for people to submit articles.
    Some of the long term builds here on this site would make for excellent articles. Unfortunately, I don't take enough pictures or create enough documentation for what I build - I'm having too much fun building it to stop and take pictures.

NEATman
    I was under the impression that if we posted a build log on the web that they really would not want to publish that. after all when we post it becomes free at that point maybe free is not the correct word but you know what I mean

archie =) =) =)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIGITAL MACHINIST IS A CNC HOBBY MAGAZINE!!!

Digital Machinist is actually looking for a lot of the sorts of articles that people are building on the forum.

I have contacted them about contributing and haven't been informed about it being undesirable for a previously web-based publication via a message board to be turned into an article for their use.

Their goal simply is to give their audience what they want. We are that audience.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeep534 View Post
    Have You guys forgotten about Digital Machinist ?????

archie =) =) =)
    Yep, I get it and Nuts&Volts and Servo. ... I should probably cut down rather than add another! These have some 'low end' hobby content... that is where I am.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Poll: Who wants to see a Hobby CNC Magazine

According to the data, most of the people pay much attention to the cnc machine and have great interest in it, so maybe there's still some people who would like to pay for it. If it will, maybe I will recommend it to my customers. We're willing to waiting for the cnc magazine, whether it is free or not, anyway~~

ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Downloads
    Uploads

No-one I know subscribes to magazines anymore. They may pick up an occasional rag at the newsagent if they're bored whilst the wife shops or they're on their way to a plane flight, but subscriptions? Nah.

And from what I can tell there's not a great deal of info in the tech mags that can't be had for free from forums like this, blogs and so on. The only thing I can see the mags have going for them is nice presentation and something you can leave sitting by the bog.

But no video.

Plenty of mags in business but pitching them at a hobby market IMO is probably not destined for greatness. By and large, hobbyists are going to look at a subscription cost and think things like "Hmmm, once a month or two I get a book full of ads and articles ripped off the net somewhere, or for the same price I can get that fly cutter I've been drooling over for the last six months"...

Downloads
    Uploads

There already is one called Digital Machinist that is published by Village Press. They also publish Home Shop Machinist and Machinist's Workshop. If you go to their web site you can open a sample PDF copy. Apparently not a tremendous amount of interest in it since it is published 4 times a year and the other magazines are 6 issues a year each on alternating months. Had a subscription to Machinist's Workshop one year and pick up an issue of one of these occasionaly at the book store when they have them. I did get a product review I wrote on Tool Black published in one of the magazines several years ago. if you are a half decent writer these types of specialized magazines are always looking for material.