What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state - Page 5

View Poll Results: What is the average hourly pay for CNC operators in your area?

Voters
748. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10.00/$14.00

153 20.45%
  • $14.00/$16.00

127 16.98%
  • $16.00/$18.00

121 16.18%
  • $18.00/$20.00

114 15.24%
  • $20.00/$24.00

94 12.57%
  • $24.00 and up

139 18.58%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kristian,

How does that compare to a shop worker, or a Mechanic's hourly rate?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default $16.00 to $20.00 hr

Hi im new to this site iv'e been a machinist for 24 years ,the skilled trades do not get the pay we should.I've gone from 18.00 hr to 11.00 hr now im at
    16.75 hr its hard to start over you shouldnt have to when you have the trainning.Im from north east ohio.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Oh, Here Here... Finally

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Young View Post
    Try paying a reasonable wage then. As a skilled machinist with many years experience who makes twice what your top of scale is, I can say that your problem is not a small pool of skilled people, it is the small wage you are willing to pay. By the way, I am in the Pacific Northwest. I want to live in Northeastern Washington, Northern Idaho or Northwestern Montana. I have worked as a Machinist lathe/mill/grind/5 axis, Programmer, Inspector, Planner and Process Engineer. I am the guy you are looking for, but there is no way someone with my skills and experience wants to work for what you are willing to pay. Not to mention that you have a State income tax which makes your low offer even lower. If you want people, you have to be willing to pay for them, especially in an environment where everyone is screaming for machinists. The shop I am in now is paying operators who have been through our 6 week course of training $23.00. So why would any skilled people even want to work for your low wage? Your message makes it sound like you think $20/hr. is a lot of money. It isn't. not now. Maybe after 9/11 but not now. There are lots of skilled people in the job pool. There are also lots of jobs. The salad days of underpaying for labor are, for the forseeable future, gone. So, trade in the Mercedes on a Chevy and start paying people.

Barry Young
    I am so tiried of hearing my employer tell us at meetings that, "we are the the only ones left in this area that pay well". I've been cuttting metal for 24 years, and I've got to tell ya, in 1997, I was making $22.44/hour. That job went away to.. well ......I don't know. It was a screw machine shop, and I was the Journeyman/Leadman/Set-up/Operator/FREEKIN ENGINEER of everything that department produced.

Now I, program/ set-up/operate an OKUMA LB35-2-m for a different employer. I currently make $18.50 /hour. I was granted my Journeymans papers in 1990. IT MEANS NOTHING TO ANY EMPLOYER in Western New York.

After 9-11, I could not even BUY a job if I had the means.

North America needs to get back into the REAL world.

I sure as h### wont leave the house for $10.00/hour.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

bravoooo well said, like i said machinist back 10-15 yrs ago make better money then now adays. what a shame

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Out here in Oklahoma we are up against the cut throat labor out in Los Angeles, we bid on jobs and are told we are twice the price. Someone isn't paying what they should for labor, so we have to cut our prices. We then don't make any profit, machines break down, material prices go up, labor is where you have to make a sacrifice. Do it faster, or do it with cheaper labor. I don't agree with this, but its a reality. How can we break the cycle.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only way to brake the cycle is to make everything for ourselfs, stop buying other nations stuff. Maby that mite work???

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the ranting expletives earlier folks. I may have also got slightly off topic in regards to job security, rather than the poll question.

We have been hit very hard where I live and a lot of people are losing their jobs, houses, cars.........etc, etc.

To stop the wage drought everyone must stand up at the same time and say "hey, I am not buying that import!" That means, only buy American/Canadian....anything. I think our countries are close enough that we can pretty much share an economy.....especially since the cad is almost the same as the usd.

This applies to everything you buy! Don't buy KIA and Hyundai, DO NOT shop at WALMART!!! If even half of us do this, you would see a big change. If you are not supporting the manufacturers in your country, then you are not supporting yourselves........a gigantic circle that comes back to you!

Also, as far as the Unions go...not going to rant here...but I would have to say that they are a main reason for us losing automotive jobs. Not to mention they are hypocrites with their bumper stickers: "OUT OF A JOB YET, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN". Go to a Walmart and see how many of these 2 faced ******** are parked there.

That bumper sticker should be changed to: "OUT OF A JOB YET, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN PRODUCTS AND SUPPORTING OVERCOMPENSATED UNION GANGSTERS"

Anyway......I hope I didn't derail this thread, but more and more people need to start waking up and taking action, or else China is going to buy Canada or the USA!

btw, in answer to the poll, in Windsor Ontario Canada, I would have to say that the average wage for cnc/programmers is approximately $16 per hour.

"'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools."

Downloads
    Uploads

Believe me, we hear you and your expressed emotions are felt by many.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess i'll have to call my friend Ross to find out what the average Marylander makes, i'll post what he tells me. He is good for it, he did a great job on my 350 block and a few Kolher one cylinders. As a matter of fact, i'll turn him on to this website if he's not a member allready. Thats gotta be a wealth of infomation! Coming from Md. that is.

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default LOL

Man, you guys need midol holy cow! Our company in western Colo. has been around for 20 plus years and refuses to pay anyone no matter their experience over 10.00hr. I am a shift foreman and make 14.50hr could I go somewhere else? sure, Just not in my field, not in this area. We cannot Hire out of vocational schools because people know what we pay. Employees whine about the wages and I will tell you exactly what I tell them.... Your tool box has wheels and so does your car, You are not chained to your job and have ability to move on. I am one of the biggest proponents of raising the wage of skilled labor, but am too held captive by the greed of my employers. I wish and dream of making what some of you make and when I voted I was looking for the button that said "under 10.00hr" .
    If you are making 20.00hr and are not making it you need to stop spending like you make 30.00hr. Out here we have the oil and gas industry driving the prices to beyond control and between my wife and I we make nearly 70,000. a year and it feels like 20,000.00

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by krustykrab View Post
    Sorry for the ranting expletives earlier folks. I may have also got slightly off topic in regards to job security, rather than the poll question.

We have been hit very hard where I live and a lot of people are losing their jobs, houses, cars.........etc, etc.

To stop the wage drought everyone must stand up at the same time and say "hey, I am not buying that import!" That means, only buy American/Canadian....anything. I think our countries are close enough that we can pretty much share an economy.....especially since the cad is almost the same as the usd.

This applies to everything you buy! Don't buy KIA and Hyundai, DO NOT shop at WALMART!!! If even half of us do this, you would see a big change. If you are not supporting the manufacturers in your country, then you are not supporting yourselves........a gigantic circle that comes back to you!

Also, as far as the Unions go...not going to rant here...but I would have to say that they are a main reason for us losing automotive jobs. Not to mention they are hypocrites with their bumper stickers: "OUT OF A JOB YET, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN". Go to a Walmart and see how many of these 2 faced ******** are parked there.

That bumper sticker should be changed to: "OUT OF A JOB YET, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN PRODUCTS AND SUPPORTING OVERCOMPENSATED UNION GANGSTERS"

Anyway......I hope I didn't derail this thread, but more and more people need to start waking up and taking action, or else China is going to buy Canada or the USA!

btw, in answer to the poll, in Windsor Ontario Canada, I would have to say that the average wage for cnc/programmers is approximately $16 per hour.
    Wow, I thought it was only Americans that had such a backward Us/Them point of view. We all live on the same planet, there is no Them. So how much wealth do you think the Chinese are accumulating selling pliers for a dollar?

It will even out. The prices at Harbor Freight have started to rise rather dramatically quite recently. When their prices get up to where they should be you can then as now make your buying decisions based on cost vs. quality. If the West had not beeen massively overcharging for decades this would not have been an issue. Water and economies seek their own level and this one will too.

The wages in China need to raise, and they are rising. The world will not be a better place if we boycott countries because we don't want "them" to have a piece of the pie. The reason to boycott is human rights abuses not because we are greedy.

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Blame game

We cannot blame china for the woa's that we Americans are standing for, Sam Walton started with the premise to "Buy American" American products in American stores Bought by Americans with American money, however GREED has completely taken over. There are solutions to this, TAX the shiza out of any US owned company that decides to outsource to another country, then tax them even higher to then get that product into this country. The lazy American is to blame we have taught the children of today that the video game is the best babysitter and that manual labor is for people less fortunate than them, we have classified our next door neighbors by the car that they drive and the clothes that they ware. Stand up and stop accepting little johnnys innability to read and write, do simple math, DO NOT give him a job in anything other than a farm field and pretty soon the little johnnys will demand that their children pay attention in school. This is the only way you are going to fix the wage problem, STOP COMPETING WITH STUPID PEOPLE WITH MORE MONEY THAN GOD! The Hiltons of the world will get theirs one day....I LOVE KARMA!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't read all the replies, but I'm willing to fill in.
    I get around 160 dkr an hour, converted to usd it's around 32$ in todays exchange rates.
    In Denmark we pay around 50% in taxes, if we have debt, some taxes will be reduced, I think my payment to taxes is around 35%.
    In Denmark, Machinist is paid well, better than other handyman-jobs like plumber, mechanic, etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile out of my element

26 yrs old.... i make around 30 bucks/hr. laboring on a bridge crew in north idaho. being laid off and pulling less than half that from unemployment this time of year sux.especially with a projected 4 month lay off.easy work no experience, haven't learned much,tolerances on carpentry are in the 1/4 inch neighborhood.

been hangin around a local cnc shop for the last couple days flippin through blueprints for dummies manuals getting a feel for what could possibly be a career change.friend of mine has worked there for 3 years now,learned about as much as an above average i.q. person possibly could in that amount of time. he makes $15/hr. started at 8. 2 new fish in the shop started out last month at $11/hr. i can claim 2 or 3 on taxes and work any o/t i can get and keep my house at least...lol. that is if i get the job.i know there is a more to this type of work than anyone could possibly learn in 1 lifetime.

i admire the intelligence it takes for this line of work. also imagine all the stuff you can tinker with having the machinery to do so. but this aint exactly back breaking stuff you deal with every day. for those of you complaining that your genius isnt compensated accordingly, pick up a shovel.

i think im gonna like it here.....:>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We don't have any operators in our shop, but the lowest paid guy on any of our equipment is making more than $20.00 per hour. He will do easy set-ups and short runs. Our problem has been trying to find a strong cnc lathe programer/set-up person for short run jobs. Otherwise our pay scale is from the low $20's to the mid $30's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

£16.00 per hr..........aint that bad................

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBB28 View Post
    Why are we whinning about our livelihoods, our special little world is about to end. As long as i can make it to retirement. Our schools are no longer teaching metal shop, our colleges are not capable to teach CNC techniques for the real world. Everyone wants to make 20-25 dollars an hour out of high school. No one wants to put in the time it takes. We need to be patient and start a new movement in the US. Apprenticeship programs, get them young, High school or even younger, build back up the greatest manufacturing country in the world, take back what is ours. We need help though, state run schools, government run programs, will not get it done, too slow and not enough money for all the politicians to get their cut. Private sector schools, run by the industry, teaching real world techniques that make a graduate worth the money being paid to them and worth it to the Companies bankrolling the project. I'll get off the soapbox now, sorry for ranting, bottom line we need better qualified applicants.
    A short history from Denmark

Our system (the state) finances most of all eduacations. I'm in the industry sector and everything is free, including the books.

I'm an apprentice in an all-round proffesion, where I mill, use the lathe, (we have both manual and CNC) sawing up tubes and steel parts, cuts sheet metal (up to 10mm) and bend it to profiles, weld sub-assemlies and puts it alltogether, on a weekly basis. I even do some of the 3D drawing sketches for the parts from time to time. Some of the side-jobs is to bring the parts to/from the paintstore and transport the smaller assemblies along the country to the customer. Quite relaxing, actually

The education lasts for 4½ years and it consists of woorking for my company and going back and forth to school which is combined theoretics/practice.

I like my job very much and an it's an absolute challenge in a good sense, because it is not getting tedious at all (I like "floating" around).

I admit that I'm still not any guru in any of the above listed jobs I do, but every day I (hopefully) get better and better. Some of the guys in the company excels pretty good in all the mentioned jobs and earns +40$/hr. As an apprentice, my current salery is 12$/hr. I don't think it's comparable to the US where the taxes are lover. I pay 40% (lovest tax) of my income, but that's due to our social-insurrance system.

We often have bigger project running and people are then set to work around on a sub-part of the whole assembly, but we usually do sidesteps from place to place, where we're needed. We do have people who just make single jobs everyday long, because they are very good at it and it helps to keep the track, but everybody can literally take over the other guys job. A big advantage in my opinion.

So, the system works the way that the danish government controls/takes care of all the education (payed by everyone via the tax) and the employer doesn't has to spend a lot of money to train a person to a high level of competence. We are like pre-fabricated to the employers demands...

Actually, employers aren't that concerned about paying people a good salery if they can achive a high industrial standard by having high-skilled, abstract thinking people who's able to multitask and think out of the box. The government and the emplyers has realised that it's the way to globally concour the market.

Maybe that's the way to go for America, but I guees it will never come true, at least not in my lifetime. I'm 26.

Brian

Look forward to check up on my up-comming steel-router, driven by homemade rotating nuts. I'll soon upload some drawings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I earn $22.50 an hour, my job is to run 5 NL1500, I download and edit programs, measure and inspect the parts coming out of the machine, there is not much of a set up to be done, we run 500 plus part numbers each with their own programs but actual tooling on the machines is the same, all we do is replace inserts and touch them off, my job title is senior CNC operator, I have been on the job for 1 year with little prior experince and no schooling, not a machinist by anymeans but I am mechanically inclinded and have what i call common sense, my emplyers have been kind enough to sponsor me to a trade school but in this market I have no doubt that i could leave my job today and find another one tomorrow for the same pay, cnc oparetor positions are everywhere.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default UK Skills Shortage

It was interesting to read the comments from CNCDEVIL in Denmark about how training is funded and planned. Here in the UK we have a massive shortage of skilled people because in the 1980's and 1990's most apprenticeships were stopped. This was also compounded by the decline in many traditional industries such as Ship Building, Steel making, Coal Mining, Arms Manufacture and many more. The causes were many but the real failure of government since then was to fail to plan for the future to ensure the country would have the right balance of workers from floor sweepers to brain surgeons. I see by many of the comments that the USA is heading the same way.
    In the UK historicaly skilled people that work with their hands do not get the level of respect they deserve unlike Mainland Europe. Our successive governments have set in place policies through schools that have actively discouraged manual work, the message seems to be unless you go to College or University you are no good. What the country needs is the same as every business, a balanced workforce and that cannot be left to chance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is why China is still good for employers. I pay my workers $1000 for the programmer,and $500 for the manager. But worker's gets $350 monthly. So, it is $2.08/hour.

Send you jobs to China...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast