What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state - Page 4

View Poll Results: What is the average hourly pay for CNC operators in your area?

Voters
748. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10.00/$14.00

153 20.45%
  • $14.00/$16.00

127 16.98%
  • $16.00/$18.00

121 16.18%
  • $18.00/$20.00

114 15.24%
  • $20.00/$24.00

94 12.57%
  • $24.00 and up

139 18.58%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

4 dollars/hour, 32dollars/day.Romania
    This is the CNC operater salary in Romania

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian-xyz View Post
    The basic understanding of rigidity,chipload,surface feet, harmonics....ect
    applies to both disiplines.

Cheers to ALL
    Stephen
    LOL, don't forget applications.

These are the Main Building Blocks of a Machinist.

Cheers!!!!!!

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Vancouver Wa. and making 25/hour and was just given part ownership in the company I work for. I go from print to finished product though. Most operaters in this area average 14 to 16/hour though. I know a couple guys getting 20 but that's only brcuse they've been with the same company for over 20 years!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All, nOOb alert. lol

Been an operator\programmer for the last 9 years, competent on the old SCM Record 110 (num1020) and the newer Biesse Rover 30 and have just got installed a SCM Record 110AL
    Our rates in the UK are a bit crap really. Been in the trade for 22 years and I only manage to drag about $18.00 ph (just over 9 quid)
    Although our company pays a higer rate than most local ones. Those of us that are total all rounders (2 in total), and can run all machines inc CNC, beam saw, Spindle, etc still get the same as joe blogs who can use a spindle and a dim saw but has no other experience.
    Its not fair but we have no choice really.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Making chips - How right you are on your ABC of machinists.!

The only time i have really come across a person who excels at turning and milling is in a tool room, these guys can use any m/c and make anything all right down to 0.0003" ( even if it takes days/weeks )

Having been in the trade for nearly 30 years ( and been around a bit! ) most shops split machinists into turners and millers - it is recognised that these 2 areas require different skills/mind set.

thats not to say as a turner, ( from pre CNC days with lathes/capstans and plugboard autos) i can not mill/grind/wire errode/make fixtures etc. I only do these if its a last resort, they are not my strengths and therefore i would be wasting valuable production time setting a CNC mill and not a CNC lathe, which is my area of expertise

Unless the US is totally different, i would have expected the same, you get turners or you get millers.

Of course you get hobbist and the 'big I am' on this board, so some disscussions may not be a totally true reflection of there skills/experiences.

Tobyaxis - When the situation arises about work that crosses over between milling and turning the simple thing we do is to sit down and discuss the production method who does what and when. that is then set out on a job sheet. - simple.

Lastly!! ( woooooHooo ) engineeers/machinists are def under paid!!!

ST

A TURNING GUY!!!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

At least today, Sept. 21, 2007 (I think, I don't wear a clock either) the US & Canadian dollar are about equal value.

As far as CNC lathe etc. "pro's", IMHO they are not Machinists, but are high level "Operators" and should be compensated for that level.

A true Machinist, CNC or otherwise, is a step above if he is profficient in all areas and should be compensated for that. Very rare bird, however.

My background is not hydraulics but I know enough to be dangerous. So I wanted a hydraulic circuit reviewed to be sure it was OK. The charge for an engineer to review it was $125/hr. For a "technician", $75/hr. I wonder what they pay their "technicians".

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

I found no input from Maryland. Any Md. operators care to say what they make an hour?

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the lack of experience mentioned can also be based on location. I'm a programmer/setup/tool&die/operator/manual mill and lathe/trainer/work allocation(and I'm not even the supervisor). Can go from print to final. Hold very tight tolerances, but have never used more than 4 axis or edm. But I have been to almost every local shop and have run across one wire and maybe 2 5+ axis machines. So I really don't have the chance to learn those. I make 15.hr. and think I deserve more. The problem I have is that all though I am extremely good at what I do. I have 3 years on the job experience and 2 years of apprenticeship/trade school. Most employers are looking for 5+ on the job experience. Good luck getting over 18 unless you go federal jobs.

**For all the employers out there what is a guy worth that can take a machine that is always behind on work load. Can never get a part out on deadline because of workload, and make it not only put all parts out before deadline, But actually make the engineers and supervisors look for more work to be sent to the machine so its not sitting doing nothing?**

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you know that guy from canada is right. if every onwer or even supervisor would give the respect to those who have put in the time then you know things might change. i live in las vegas now and u know what the median pay for a shet metal worker here is ( $25, what a shame) . someone who comes off the street and barely begins is $18 come on now folks. ive been in this bussiness since 1997 and it was better payed then, now its a bunch of penny pinching people, in order to get good skilled people you have to pay, not to the extreme but compensate, for what they could do for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sidhou View Post
    4 dollars/hour,40 dollars/day.China
    I can not believe that...But this is the highest CNC operater salary in China
    Is it true that some shops offer room and board?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

its true some companies here that are that well off do give there employees comps like that dang even 300 of the rent would be nice. i meet this guy from texas who is al electrician and he moved here because the pay rate here is 10 dlls more them back home. you just have to get in with one of those companies and its all good then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are unable to get anyone to apply at our shop, for any wage, we are in southern oklahoma and can't find a person who can walk and chew gum. I was lured out from California and am making the same wage as in California. Not bad, but less than what I think I'm worth. I have 22 years experience as Lather & Miller, Programmer, Supervisor & have engineering experience also. We are very small shop looking to grow, people who have applied from out of state want 20-25 $ an hour, we would be willing to pay if they were worth it. We had one guy from Midwest come for a try out 2 weeks paid, He had "20 years experience" but couldn't figure out a Fanuc controller and didn't know half of the m codes, he didn't make it. The moral is that we all think we are worth more, but the proof is in the pudding, I like pudding but can't find any.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very true there are alot of machinist out there with 20 plus years expierence but its in a old school shop, all hand work no computer stuff. i know alot of them machinist. but as i always tell the person im interviewing with im not going to sit here and tell you what i could do give me the job and ill show you what i could do, then if you feel im worth it then compensate me. but most shop try to suck the living heck out of you and then tell you its not working out. stop all the games if a machin ist is worth what u have seen them hey he deserves it right. no games and no lies is what i have lived with in this industry. up front and forward, if i see something i dont like ill let u know not wait for it to take a s**t and then blame someone else

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, but I could only get through about 4 pages here.

You all sound like a bunch of %^*$*(# whiney babies who act like someone chose your life and especially career for you.

I got to where I am working my &%^#%@$ butt off, learning mostly from experience and some from others.

Don't whine about your wages.......you chose that career.

Don't expect people with no experience to do any good for your company, they won't, they will only damage it.

All of you #$^@&*(% whiney babies who say there isn't any skilled labour out there, it's because you who have the skill are too #$%^&*@ good to give your time and experience to help train.

I started with absolutely no experience and now I run a shop with 3 cnc's which require actual timely programming and setup that includes rough to finish lights-out machining.

Sorry but part programmers don't deserve anything much more than a couple of dollars more than the setup guys. And that's a #$^@&*^ fact!

Let us see you program a mold or fixture from start to finish in 3 hours, without the job needing hand work or welding when it's done.

As far as I can see, there are too many whiners chiming in on this thread that are the typically underpaid, overworked people. Which is typical bull**** for our trade, and that's why jobs are moving off of the continent.

Try not to think like the economy crashing Unions........try to think like someone who has grandchildren to worry about!

"'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools."

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by krustykrab View Post
    Sorry, but I could only get through about 4 pages here.

You all sound like a bunch of %^*$*(# whiney babies who act like someone chose your life and especially career for you.

I got to where I am working my &%^#%@$ butt off, learning mostly from experience and some from others.

Don't whine about your wages.......you chose that career.

Don't expect people with no experience to do any good for your company, they won't, they will only damage it.

All of you #$^@&*(% whiney babies who say there isn't any skilled labour out there, it's because you who have the skill are too #$%^&*@ good to give your time and experience to help train.

I started with absolutely no experience and now I run a shop with 3 cnc's which require actual timely programming and setup that includes rough to finish lights-out machining.

Sorry but part programmers don't deserve anything much more than a couple of dollars more than the setup guys. And that's a #$^@&*^ fact!

Let us see you program a mold or fixture from start to finish in 3 hours, without the job needing hand work or welding when it's done.

As far as I can see, there are too many whiners chiming in on this thread that are the typically underpaid, overworked people. Which is typical bull**** for our trade, and that's why jobs are moving off of the continent.

Try not to think like the economy crashing Unions........try to think like someone who has grandchildren to worry about!
    Dam!

I'd be happy to find out what a mechinist in Maryland makes a hour, (on avarege) that is.

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why are we whinning about our livelihoods, our special little world is about to end. As long as i can make it to retirement. Our schools are no longer teaching metal shop, our colleges are not capable to teach CNC techniques for the real world. Everyone wants to make 20-25 dollars an hour out of high school. No one wants to put in the time it takes. We need to be patient and start a new movement in the US. Apprenticeship programs, get them young, High school or even younger, build back up the greatest manufacturing country in the world, take back what is ours. We need help though, state run schools, government run programs, will not get it done, too slow and not enough money for all the politicians to get their cut. Private sector schools, run by the industry, teaching real world techniques that make a graduate worth the money being paid to them and worth it to the Companies bankrolling the project. I'll get off the soapbox now, sorry for ranting, bottom line we need better qualified applicants.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

whinning none here, just stating the facts. but your right we choose this industry, or in my case a 2nd generation machinist, i know and ive seen the changes, and as far as for your busy 3 cnc shop thats good, but i was a supervisor of a 20 cnc shop i know what it takes to get the job done, ive been there for the timely lean process. so there isnt really anything i have'nt seen. but i bet that ur under payed as well just that you suck it up and say oh well they'll appriciate me some day. well that some day will be when a young guy comes in and could get things done faster then you and out the door you go. not appricated. think of that before u comment on whinning

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marcojr View Post
    whinning none here, just stating the facts. but your right we choose this industry, or in my case a 2nd generation machinist, i know and ive seen the changes, and as far as for your busy 3 cnc shop thats good, but i was a supervisor of a 20 cnc shop i know what it takes to get the job done, ive been there for the timely lean process. so there isnt really anything i have'nt seen. but i bet that ur under payed as well just that you suck it up and say oh well they'll appriciate me some day. well that some day will be when a young guy comes in and could get things done faster then you and out the door you go. not appricated. think of that before u comment on whinning

First of all, I get paid very well. In fact probably better than 99.5% in my trade. And, I also get the notices of appreciation for those extra hours and weekends. Because I chose to work for a great company.

As far as supervising 20 cnc's, pretty apparent it's a part shop. Good for you! But I can't imagine how anyone, could program quick enough to keep 20 machines going......unless they are running the same program for days straight.

Not to mention, most part programming is fairly automated with the elite cam software available.

As far as the whining is concerned..........read all of the posts in this thread...then tell me not to comment on whining!!!!!!!!!!

The reason jobs are going offshore is because a lot of the people on this continent with any skill, have decided that they will milk their hourly rate to the maximum.......and that's a god**** fact....just look at the caw and uaw.

Pathetic......we will all be working at Tim Horton's unless there is a revolt against the corporate destroying gangsters.

"'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools."

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW!!!!

I haven't visited this thread in a while. I realize that this can be an emotional subject but lets try to keep it moving in a positive on topic direction without all the !@#$%

Makes the Thread a little difficult to read.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Norway payment per hour

I Get 158NOK/per Hour. that gives aprox. 29.4$ per hour

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast