444 15.89%
  • 60+

292 10.45%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by John Richers View Post
    Old enough to know all about the depression and WWII when things were made mostly by hand. WWII brought about the design and manufacture of war materials and machines by many people through dedicated co-operation.
    WOW that was the Age of Teamwork, Honesty, and Loyalty. I used to Setup Fellows High Speed Shapers and Barbra Coleman Hobbers from WWII. Best machines to this day actually. Held +-.0002 all day. Memories :rainfro:

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

27 here.

Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

44 But a kid at heart

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, members are Voting but not posting?????????

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh all right, don't get so picky, I didn't know you had to post after you voted.

I'm 44 and spent the last 24 years in the military as an air traffic control supervisor. I've been working at getting people moving instead of working at getting machines working.

-=7ofclubs=-

-=sHrEk=-

Downloads
    Uploads

Old enough to be your grandad.......I bet I beat you Geof, born Oct '38.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, a year out of my time, I worked for a firm that employed a Spanish fitter. He told me straight, 'I can't tell you anything about the job but I'll show you how to get out of the b##lls ups you make'.
    He drilled more holes off centre than I've had hot brekkies.
    Before I left I showed him how to drift a hole back on centre, using a centre punch.
    That was a long time ago.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

29, 30 this year

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fair compensation

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    One gets Paid for their Abilities, not their Age.
    I am 55 and have finally started my own business and so far am doing well. Over the years working in production woodwork I have seen guys with less than half my experience and talent get paid the same or more than what I was making at that time. I was also asked to train some of them. This pretty much continued throughout my career. Now that I work for myself I get paid
    a fair wage for my abilites. So it depends on the company you work for and
    region in which you live and ....etc. whether you are paid fairly for your work.

That's my 2 cents

BJ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    Well Gary, I can't speak for everyone else, but it would be nice to learn from some older folks with experience...not just someone who is older than me and does the same job. Also...if you are capable of doing the work or already doing the work you should be getting paid the same as the older guys...not making half of what they make. Barely scraping by, paying rent, and having to drive an old POS, while other guys have new vehicles and a nice house is not my idea of the American dream. And no, I don't blow my money on alcohol or drugs...I don't make enough to afford them!
    WYLD
    I agree with you, but the people I am talking about are the ones that don't really give a s*** about any experience. I have had 3 people that I put through
    an apprenticeship. These three have busted their butts to get where they are today. I also paid them above the average so they would have a reason to excel in the field. Mind you that was years ago, and then I worked in the field for years doing gas and oil plant installations. Now that I am doing my thing in MY shop, I can't get people who care enough to try. I was still paying 15 to 20% more than the average rates and still they can't get it together. I came to the conclusion that it was easier to do it myself or pay a journeyman the rate and a little extra when done. I believe that if someone is good and advances quickly, then they should get paid for the work. I have had laborers who made more than a second year apprentice because they could and would out perform the other guy. I wish I could find another like you with a sense of wanting to do something with their live rather than just having it all put on a silver platter for them. If I could get someone who really wanted to learn, then I could go and get enough work to keep them going and myself for a long time.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grinder_gary View Post
    WYLD
    I agree with you, but the people I am talking about are the ones that don't really give a s*** about any experience. I have had 3 people that I put through
    an apprenticeship. These three have busted their butts to get where they are today. I also paid them above the average so they would have a reason to excel in the field. Mind you that was years ago, and then I worked in the field for years doing gas and oil plant installations. Now that I am doing my thing in MY shop, I can't get people who care enough to try. I was still paying 15 to 20% more than the average rates and still they can't get it together. I came to the conclusion that it was easier to do it myself or pay a journeyman the rate and a little extra when done. I believe that if someone is good and advances quickly, then they should get paid for the work. I have had laborers who made more than a second year apprentice because they could and would out perform the other guy. I wish I could find another like you with a sense of wanting to do something with their live rather than just having it all put on a silver platter for them. If I could get someone who really wanted to learn, then I could go and get enough work to keep them going and myself for a long time.

Gary
    Gary,

I wish you lived in the US or I lived in Canada. I would be waiting for you at the front of your shop asking for employment. All too often shops are run by individuals that have no clue as to what we actually do to make things happen.

LOL walk into a Large Company and speak to HR. They sit there and ask questions with this expression on their face while you explain your qualifications

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Gary,

I wish you lived in the US or I lived in Canada. I would be waiting for you at the front of your shop asking for employment. All too often shops are run by individuals that have no clue as to what we actually do to make things happen.

LOL walk into a Large Company and speak to HR. They sit there and ask questions with this expression on their face while you explain your qualifications
    Yes you are right about HR. I am still thinking that the major problem is that people expect more for less. Here in Alberta, you could work almost anywhere you wanted. The major problem is at Mac dicks they pay anywhere from $9.00 to $10.50 an hour. Not bad if you are single and no debts. As a oil field construction company, I would start my people off at $15.00 to start. Prove yourself, and work and I will increase the rate of pay to match your skill level. I don't care about your age, or sex. If you can do the work then I think you should get paid for it.

If I went to a machine shop and wanted to learn about CNC Mills, I would not expect to get top dollar as I learn. Even though I would probably be older than some of the people there. I figure that the cash comes with experience, not age.

By the way, anyone want to train an old dog some new tricks!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way, anyone want to train an old dog some new tricks!!!
    Like what?

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

As we age and have more experience we should know more and make less mistakes. I,m 68 and still waiting to make less mistakes.Maybe i should have kept my old bp. this cnc has got me overloaded. I dont seem to learn as fast as i used to and then i have to REMEMBER what i learned. I think thats the hardest part. Well life goes on[[I hope]]
    Dar

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

66 and older than older than dirt Adobe Machine. I know I'm "too old" because since I was 45, every time I applied for a "position" (job) they told me I was "overqualified". So I started my own MfgEng. consulting co. Now I'm retired and spend more time at it than ever. Well, the Daytona 500 pre-race programming is on and I have to get some Pilsner before the race starts. Adios

DZASTR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking New tricks

Like what?
    Tobyaxis, I was just being smart a**. Can you really teach an old dog new tricks? Dam right!!

Thanks

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

You can teach me new tricks,,,,just that the bone needs to be a soft-chew anymore....and the trick needs to accomodate my walker

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nineteen tomorrow!

Woohoo!

Guess what I'm doing to celebrate?

I'm having a Hepatitis B vaccination.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The race is over (the rats won). I was just reading some of the previous postings and had to laugh at some of those situations. Unfortunately they are true, HR depts. and such. I had one recently graduated from college with an MBA in business administration tell me it would be too difficult for me to grasp the technology of the equipment they were using. I think I embarassed her when I told her that I had designed that equipment. The reason I was applying for a short term employment was because they were not using the equipment properly and were giving my design a bad reputation. We eventually bought the machine back from them, started another company and sub-contracted their work to our company.
    Sweet revenge at a profit.

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Tobyaxis, I was just being smart a**. Can you really teach an old dog new tricks? Dam right!!

Thanks

Gary

That was the Question, "Like What??" You experienced Dogs are the ones teaching me new Tricks, Like "Damn" Spelling, LOL.

So far I have learned to Sit, Play Dead, and Roll Over, LOL.

Wait-a-tick.....I can Speak Too!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast