Sharpening drill bits by hand - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you sharpen drill bits by hand on a bench or pedistal grinder?

Voters
856. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do it all the time!

608 71.03%
  • No, they never cut right!

46 5.37%
  • Sorry, I don't know how to do that!

63 7.36%
  • Its better to throw them away!

30 3.50%
  • No, we have a drill sharpening machine!

94 10.98%
  • What's a drill bit?

15 1.75%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening drill bits by hand

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pots jig

Sorry,
    I do not know what a pots type jig is. The point I was trying to make is that a steady hand and a thoroug understanding of how the cut takes place is lacking from todays machinists.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with you 100%. Some people will never get it. The poll is asked to those that are or should be Machinists. If you can not grind a drill or a tool bit How dare you call yourself a Machinist

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default natep

I am 69 years old and I have hand sharpened more drills than you want to know about The enquiry is meant for McGyver however I did not know that sarcasm was the order of the day seeing that I specifically asked McGyver:rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kokelol View Post
    I am looking for a Potts type grinding jig I see that you have made something similar would it be possible to pass some sort of drawing or plan on to me?
    kokelol, mine isn't really similar to the Potts and plans aren't done yet (number 682 on the todo list) but i did take lots of pics. the links are in this page, wasn't sure how to copy/paste them. works well, but needs a surface grinder or T&C grinder.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=19623&page=2

I'm a weekend warrior and can grind drills reasonably well, but as a weekender will never have a pro's experience level....then again my faceted grinds cut to a a thou or two, better than a hand grind imo

Potts plans may be available from some the UK model engineer suppliers

Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-06-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Koke, Here's a few scans of two drill grinding fixtures.
    They are of the same design, but just made a bit different.
    If you want to sharpen really small drills, about 1/2mm or so I've got another drawing or two and a photo.
    This type is based upon the "wishbone drill sharpener", which was on the market in the late 50's.
    Ian.(Ou Kaapenaar)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sharpening drill bits by hand-1-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-n0-2-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-3-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-4a-jpg  

Sharpening drill bits by hand-10-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-11a-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-12a-jpg   Sharpening drill bits by hand-13a-jpg  

Last edited by handlewanker; 02-05-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default handlewanker

Thanks for your input.Some people drive a train then call themselves engineers Some operate a sewing machine and are called machinists Some hand grind a few twist drills then call themselves machinists. Some have never published or contributed to any article or books, yet they ask the arrogant question like (how dare you call yourself a machinist ) My books are accepted text books for Technical Colleges here. As for quotes by HENRY FORD, he also said that he does not know everything that is why he employs engineers,machinists etc. Mr POTTS was a great MACHINIST in the same catagory asPhillip DUCLOS and GUY LAUTARD. Surely you have heard of them.
    Here is a quote from another great man
    YOUR ARROGANCE REFLECTS YOUR TRUE CHARACTER
    Handlwanker only the THANKS part is for YOU (DANKIE TOTSIENS )PRETORIA

This quote is by ME

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default handlewanker

could you please e-mail me at bvorster@webintact.com as the plans you posted are too small to read and cannot be enlarged Tnx Bert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default McGyver

Tnx for the reply. Whenever you get down to the drawings, Iwould appreciate a copy. Even if there are costs involved. Bert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new to post

Hi fellas this is my first post . i really appreciate you all guys for sharing your knowledge .I had benefited from it so many times thanks all ...I had the problem with drill grinding for a long time . it never comes correct to me. i managed it by always having some spare drills. things was going good till i changed my company it was a small company had not much tools in stock .....boy you have to grind to survive there....and on a friday i brought a pedestal grinder and started practicing in home ...two days i got the knack..it is very simple all we need to know is how the chisel point should be and the relief ..... you find a way of doing both in a single motion ...just a days practice ....

Downloads
    Uploads

Good on ya Viny, we knew you could do it.
    I hope you are using the FRONT of the stone and NOT NOT the side.
    There is a natural inclination for some people to want to attack the side of the stone.
    Once you've worn a nice groove or two in it, the life of the stone is more than halved.
    If you start the grind at 1" or 25mm above centre the back off angle comes naturally, almost automatic.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks Handlewanker

I really enjoyed your copies of the Geoff Oakes grinding jig.

I have a low cost drill grinding jig that "looks" similar. The big difference is that mine does not have the indexing feature. With this indexing feature you can ensure that both sides are ground symetrical to the axis.

My current jig uses a "catch" on the front to set the drill bit square to the mechanism. There is play in the mechanism and every time you use it it's just a teeny weeny bit different.

I like my current grinding jig. It does a good job. It brought my collection of 20 - 30 dead drill bits back to life.

The Oakes design is on the next level. It's a project that is a perfect project for my skill level and will be useful for decades to come. It turns out I have all the chucks needed from a dead dremel tool and a dead drill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Heck even if you are gonna sharp it on a drill grinder, if some fool has badly mangled it I think it is quicker to whip it into shape by hand, then shine it up purty on the drill grinder :-). I have done large drills on a belt sander :-) or a disk sander :-).

Knowing how to hand gash an endmill is a nice skill to have too :-)....takes the same kind of a steady hand.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rancherbill, it just goes to show you, there isn't a tool out there that hasn't been made in some form or other before.
    The principle remains the same in most cases, but the trick is to design it so that it will work better, or is easier to make.
    It just occured to me after reading the previous posts that the Potts type drill grinder jig uses the side of the wheel, which is not a good practice, but can be used to advantage when the need arises.
    When I've got a bit of time I'm going to have a look at how a broad faced cup stone, mounted on the bench grinder, will work for the application of the Potts type drill jig.
    In all cases, where a drill grinding jig is being used, it must be firmly mounted so that there is no lost movement between it and the stone.
    To enable this, the grinder should be mounted on a steel plate, and then the jig won't flex away from the stone face.
    I like the aspect of the Deckel SO tool & ctr grinder, which if you look at it properly in the case of lathe tools, is just an angulated work holder that pivots around a round shaft, and stays in the same plane.
    Before anyone gets hot under the collar at the "just" part, it is still a simple guided plane but very reliable and well made to stand up to the grinding dust and day to day grinding requirements.
    The ability to present the tool to the stone precisely and advance a thou at a time, and always at the right angle is the answer to a maidens prayer, but the price of a Deckel, $US1000 second hand or more, is a bit off putting and one of the reasons that professor Chaddock designed the Quorn T&C grinder for the home builder and user.
    Which comes down to having a firm base, with no slop, to enable repeat performance to happen.
    No matter how proficient you become at hand grinding tools, even the simplest grinding jig pays dividends in accuracy and time saving.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i am the only tool grinder period out of 12 employees sad part is most are older than me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I still have the drill gage I made as an Apprentice. After I made it they gave me a bunch of drills to sharpen. Then I had to drill holes, then they checked them for size, straightness, finish, etc. Also learned how to do a lot of things that seem to be unheard of today. I set up my sine bar to check an angle and the Inspector remarked that it didn't look like a very accurate way to check it, why didn't I use a protractor and a magnifying glass if I really wanted it accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can and have on many occasions hand sharpened tooling and have even made my own tooling out of tool steel...But.
    Not sure i agree that a machinist should know how to hand sharpen drills or tooling.
    It is a dying skill and anyone that can do it should be commended,but for most of the modern machining industry all it does is make you more appreciative of what you have.
    A real machinist knows the metal he works with, and has the ability to choose what tooling,feeds,speeds,coolants,and machines required to make an end product as close to what the customer wants as possible, and in as little time as possible without sacrificing quality.
    And the most important part..he takes pride in his work.
    Being able to hand sharpen drills is nice,but not required to be a good machinist.
    I like to hunt deer...but i'm not gonna chip a hunting knife out of flint rock to dress the deer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be willing to bet that MOST people that think it is unimportant cannot do it nicely, and the reverse is true also :-).

What if we modified the question to ask if a good machinist should be able to sharpen a drill with a drill grinder ??

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've seen a lot of situations where the deskilling of the workplace is taken to such a degree that someone can walk in from the street, never seen a machine tool in his/her life and six months later is a "fully qualified", I kid you not, machinist.
    I heard an amusing story at the waterhole the other night, a guy applied for a job as a skilled machinist and when given a test asked, "where's the green button I have to press?".
    It seems that the term watchmaker is now someone that is capable enough to open a watch and replace the battery.
    Strewth, my brother in law is chief cook and bottle washer at the local greasy spoon cafe, but that doesn't give him cordon bleau capabilities.
    Getting back to the drill sharpening skills, if you can't sharpen a drill and you call your self skilled, then you won't rank with the professionals who can when you're put to the test.
    I don't care who you are or how long you've been hacking metal, if you're mechanical skills are lacking in any department then you're second rate at best, especially those that proudly express their inability to master the fundamental skills and disciplines of engineering.
    We've now got a generation of green button pushers that only have to know which green button to push to make a particular tool do a specific job.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Handlewhatsit and if you want to call yourself a hunter then make your own bow and arrow and stalk your prey like a true hunter did a few generations ago.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would say that only half of the people that say they can....can actually hand sharpen tooling...Only about half of those can do it right.
    Many times i see people claim to be able to sharpen drills and i have to inform them that it isn't supposed to look like a pencil.

If i wanted a machine shop to make me an engine block..I drop off a block of steel..The machinist takes that block and mill it,drill it,bore it,hone it,grind it,line bore it,decks it.
    In the end that block is perfect...I could care less if he hand sharpened the drills or any other tooling he used,he's still a good machinist to me.
    The end product and the knowledge to get there is whats important.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast