Sharpening drill bits by hand - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you sharpen drill bits by hand on a bench or pedistal grinder?

Voters
856. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do it all the time!

608 71.03%
  • No, they never cut right!

46 5.37%
  • Sorry, I don't know how to do that!

63 7.36%
  • Its better to throw them away!

30 3.50%
  • No, we have a drill sharpening machine!

94 10.98%
  • What's a drill bit?

15 1.75%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening drill bits by hand

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In a production shop, drill sharpening should be a last resort as most have mentioned.
    I have had several people in the shop teach me how to sharpen drills, and I am now getting good results. For me, it is only time to sharpen a drill if we are out of that size or I am using a special drill and we don't have any sharp spares. This is different at home of course, I will sharpen them all.

In a production shop, we should not have to be sharpening drills, our tool guy should keep up on the orders so that we don't have too! Then the dull drills can be sent to someone else to mess with.

Downloads
    Uploads

My drill sharpener was used alot when I was a one man shop and had the time.

Now its just a fail safe for the dip dunk employee that fails to tell me when we have 5 drills left, so I can order more.

Don't know how many times someones walked up to me and says "hey boss were out of this bit/tool" usually after 5:00pm and the tool is unobtainium and a job stopper!

oh happy times!

thats usually when its time for the grolsch or moose drool that I was saving for a special moment!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    As for those who voted to just throw them dull drills away, they should sell them on eBay, its a perfect place for dull homeless drills!

On second thought, send them to me!

Eric
    The first time I sharpened a Jobber it was a good Stubby in about 45 minutes about 10 years ago. Too short, Ooops!

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    ... Don't know how many times someones walked up to me and says "hey boss were out of this bit/tool" usually after 5:00pm and the tool is unobtainium and a job stopper!....
    A truly competent boss foresees this type of thing early in the day when there is still time to obtain the required tool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    A truly competent boss foresees this type of thing early in the day when there is still time to obtain the required tool.
    A truly competent manager places competent people around him at lets them do the job. Some of the best shop that I have seen the manger haves a bussiness Degree not engineering Degree

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    A truly competent manager places competent people around him at lets them do the job. Some of the best shop that I have seen the manger haves a bussiness Degree not engineering Degree
    Most places have no real management. Unless the boss is a Machinist and started the business from scratch. In big shops Managers pass the buck to the guy on the left, then he passes it on to someone else etc. Bad business practice in my opinion. Only true experienced bosses have good shops with good management.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

.... Some of the best shop that I have seen the manger haves a bussiness Degree not engineering Degree
    Well I have neither so that lets me out.

Downloads
    Uploads

You may not have a degree from a collage, but you have common sense which is something a degree can't provide

Downloads
    Uploads

You may not have a degree from a collage, but you have common sense which is something a degree can't provide
    Lakeside I couldn"t agree more. These days common sence isn"t so common. How is the driving in your area. Here in NY if you get from Point A to Point B with out getting run over your lucky Boston Mass I heard is not much better.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    . How is the driving in your area. Here in NY if you get from Point A to Point B with out getting run over your lucky Boston Mass I heard is not much better.
    we worry about tunnel failure and tunnel flooding. not bad for $14 billion. The iron workers must have been using dull drills and boston drivers are well know for there skill behind the wheel. I think that why they call us Masholes

Downloads
    Uploads

we worry about tunnel failure and tunnel flooding? not bad for $14 billion. The iroin workers must have been using dull drills
    So teach them how to grind their own drills

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn!

Right through the heart! aarrrrgg!

Of course in all fairness to me, I never said I was a good boss, just a successfull business owner! (at least for this month )

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

I do have degrees just not in business or engineering.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the best shop that I have seen the manger haves a bussiness Degree not engineering Degree
    i dont buy that
    a boss should have a full understanding of his business , if not he has to rely on staff to be doing quoting purchasing etc , if someone dosen t have any idea of what it will take to make the parts , or if the tooling or machines are capable of doing the job , tool wear, material costs ,setup time , run time
    how do you quote that if you have no idea , other than to trust an employee to do this , and what do you do when this employee decides to open his own shop , taking his contacts (your work ) with him

Downloads
    Uploads

dertsap I was refeering to large company not jobshops or sign makers or cabenit makers all those guys have to watch everything

Downloads
    Uploads

I just thought the following quote from a different thread might be useful information to have here in case anyone can't view the previous videos.

Step one; turn the bench grinder on. That is the really easy part.
    Look closely at the drill and note the cutting edge is a straight line.
    Hold the drill so that the edge you intend to sharpen is facing up and parallel with the shaft of the grinder and very close to the wheel; NOT touching yet!!!!
    Imagine a radial line drawn from the center of the shaft to the cutting edge of the drill and project this line out for about the length of the drill.
    Because the cutting edge of the drill is parallel to the shaft of the grinder the drill and imaginary line will form an angle that depends on the point angle of the drill.
    Now imagine you are looking from the side; the centerline of the drill itself should be below the radial line by around 3 to 5 degrees. This is what starts your initial clearance angle on the cutting edge. 'Looking' from the side is necessary so you 'see' the projection of the radial line onto the drill centerline.

So far things have been easy; now you go into imagination overload but first a little explanation.

If you simply brought the drill into contact with the wheel in the position it is currently held the cutting edge would be ground okay but further around there would be insufficient clearance; the 'heel' of the drill would rub. You need to be able to grind heel clearance.

Now imagine a line that runs parallel to the cutting edge of the drill but which is located about 1/4 to 1/2 the drill diameter back from the edge and about 1/8 to 1/4 the drill diameter below the level of the cutting edge. You are going to rotate the drill around this line with the cutting edge moving upwards.

Naturally if you just did the simple rotation the cutting edge would rotate up and away from the grinding wheel so it is necessary to move the axis of rotation down and closer to the wheel simultaneously with rotating the drill around the axis. This is the hard part; it is difficult to describe other than to say the cutting edge of the drill performs a sort of 'scooping' motion. The radius of the the scoop and the depth of the scoop determine the heel clearance on the drill but if you scoop too far you hit the opposite cutting edge against the wheel and destroy its cutting edge.

And once you have perfected this for one cutting edge you do the other exactly the same.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a very "in depth" discription of how to hand grind a drill! but remember PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    Most bench or pedistal grinders do not have wheels with keen sharp corners, the kind needed to do a nice split point!

Eric
    Hi Eric,

A buddy of mine made up a wheel once that has corners as sharp as you want them and it works suprisingly well for small delicate tools. Take a circular piece of particle board about 6 inches, attach it to a motor running at a reasonable speed (I'll leave it to you to decide what a reasonable speed is), true it up with a rasp and file, then, right before sharpening anything hit it with a bit of course sharpening compound (stick form works best).

You can actually make several and go right through the different grits. In his case, after this wheel he jumps right to a felt wheel.

One trick is to reverse the motor so that the wheel is spinning up (from the point of view of the person sharpening), that way youir not going to catch the wheel with a sharp edge and get your hands pulled into it or send the tool flying end over end.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just let me say, this is all bull+++t really. I've been a machinist for some 35 years and if a close tolerance is required you just can't rely on hand grinding, it's just not reliable. For open tolerance (0.3 mm) then yes maybe. Close tolerance work drill grinder every time

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by The Puma Man
    Just let me say, this is all bull+++t really. I've been a machinist for some 35 years and if a close tolerance is required you just can't rely on hand grinding, it's just not reliable. For open tolerance (0.3 mm) then yes maybe. Close tolerance work drill grinder every time
    For that type of close tolerance work I use Seco Carboloy Solid Carbide Drills. TiN Coated 140 deg. Split Point for exotics and 135 split point for softer materials other than Aluminum. 118 spit point for Aluminum 2,6, and 7000 series. The drill finish is like a reamer finish and you can hold .0005 on the diameter all day with the right machining conditions feeds and speeds.

No hand grinding for these drills.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast