Is Machining a Good career to get into?

View Poll Results: Would it be a good idea to get into machining?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 82.93%
  • No

14 17.07%

Thread: Is Machining a Good career to get into?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is Machining a Good career to get into?

Well, a little back ground on my self. I'm 18. Graduated High School at 17. As soon as a I graduated, I got enrolled in the 2 year automotive program at local community college. I got a car when I was 16, and just enjoyed working on it. That was the only thing i've ever really had any interest in, so that's why I wanted to go to school for it. The program i'm in does 8 weeks of school, 8 weeks of full time work, and repeats. I've been through 3 semesters (a little over a year), and I will be graduating in a couple months. But, after doing this as a job for just a year (or so), it's becoming pretty obvious that this is not something I want to do for the rest of my life.

But... one of the required classes was a "Fundamentals of Tooling and Machining" class. That class was the most interesting, fascinating, and enjoyable class i've ever taken. I've always liked fab'ing up my own stuff. But making stuff on a lathe and a mill was just a whole new world to me. I really enjoyed that. We had to do a project on 3 different machines, drill press, lathe, and a mill. I liked running all three machines. None of them were CNC though. It seems like most shops are going to CNC, but I think I would enjoy that just as much.

So I finished that class, and started to look more into what machining classes the school had to offer. They have a 9 month certificate program that the teacher was always boasting about. He said there are several local businesses/shops that are always looking for graduates coming out of this program. It appears that the machining jobs are pretty common around here.

One thing that i'm worried about is getting a job in the field where I have to make the same part, hundreds and thousands of times. Is that kind of job pretty much all that there is anymore?

I'm mostly just wondering if this is something I should look more into based off what i've told you so far. I know i'm not going to be the next Bill Gates, and i'm completely fine with that. I'm just trying to find something that I can enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

EDIT NOTE: I have a friend that's a machinist, and he'll sometimes send me the blueprints (if that's what you call them) of parts he's making and it just fascinates me sooo much. Unfortunately though, he lives 3 hours away or so.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are the chances that your feelings about machining will be the same as your current feelings about automotive work?
    Lots of things seem fun when you don't do them everyday. If you find something you can enjoy day in and day out, you are set.

What you do really depends on the shop and your skillset. In a production environment, you may be running the same part for a month straight. In a job shop you might do something different every day. There are all sorts of industries that rely on machining so you could get into some kind of specialized prototyping, welding, fabrication, machinery building, etc. Many manufacturers of equipment like presses, furnaces, conveyors, mills, etc. machine a lot of parts but they are also building machines so you would get a range of skills in mechanical design, electronics, automation, etc.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to consider a career as a tool and die maker, a mold maker, jig builder etc. You will still get the machining aspect of the trade, but are less likely to be stuck with repetitive work. It will also have the potential to move you into more of a leadership role. I got my tool and die papers in 1991, and I've been the manager of everything related to CAM and CNC at our shop for close to 20 years.

Just throwing this out there...

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

why not and i am in all the support to this evergreen career option .. that why contains high respect for those who are perusing their career into the same domain

It really depends on you. I think some aspects of maching will change dramatically with the advances in 3D printing, but there will always be a need for those who can do original work and prototyping efficiently. It might not always be in your home town, but it will always be there somewhere.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You'll find different levels of employment as a machinist. I highly recommend staying in school and advancing your career related education.
    The international manufacturing competition along with the general advance in the state of the art means that just knowing how to design, build, setup, machine in the classical sense that many of us grew up in is no longer enough.

Staying on top of today's mfg technology is no easy task. Personally, I love the challenge and am fascinated with it... which is why I still do it even after officially "retiring".

Get good at the manual stuff, embrace the CAD/CAM stuff, and go out there and do some exciting stuff!

I've been watching this poll. I find it interesting that over 20% of the people actively involved in a machining forum (who voted) say machining is not a good field to get into. I wonder how many really feel that way, and if some of them might just be a little afraid that the new guy will come gunning for their job in a few years. LOL.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

because honestly, for the amount of time invested to learn it, the salary is not up to par. When BART pays a janitor 56K a year, and a five year machinist makes barely that much, is it really worth it. Even a 10 year machinist will have trouble making 6 figures, and I can promise you any other trade would make a lot more, including pipe fitters and HVAC guys.

Sent from my Quantum using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    because honestly, for the amount of time invested to learn it, the salary is not up to par. When BART pays a janitor 56K a year, and a five year machinist makes barely that much, is it really worth it. Even a 10 year machinist will have trouble making 6 figures, and I can promise you any other trade would make a lot more, including pipe fitters and HVAC guys.

Sent from my Quantum using Tapatalk
    For that matter, I don't know a lot of owners that make six figures consistently.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is if you have passion for it, as long you don't end up working for a guy like this:

I saw a opening for a day shift programmer job in my area. So I though I would give it a shot. After two interviews, they offered me a Night shift job running early 90's VMC. That wasn't what I singed up for.

"For that matter, I don't know a lot of owners that make six figures consistently. "

Maybe true, but I know a lot of owners who live in some of the nicest houses in the area, just saying.........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[UK based]
    I'm a Boilermaker by trade (fabricator), and spent a few years at the CAD/CAM station. Then Thatcher got into power, & she killed engineering in the UK. Not necessary. How can a country exist, unless it sells something that someone else wants to buy???
    Don't bother getting into manufacturing in the UK, I'm less respected than my binman (trash collector).

Bitter, warped & twisted...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm 21, I had an interest in CNC machines early in my teens, and I bought a small machine when I was 18. I continue to wonder what I'll do for work since the economy isn't great, and getting a decent job isn't easy. What I did is I kept this interest of mine going, making a few bucks on the way, and I've kept college/education going.

Perhaps you could pursue some form of education, work in what interests you, and see which one pans out or perhaps both if your degree/certificate/etc works with your interest,
    For me I'm making a decent bit selling specialized wood work, then I have my father's occasional work, and then (lots of testing out then online college) college which I'm loathing but must finish since I'm 35 credits from my bachelors in boring business
    Hopefully I get the first option, if not the second might keep me somewhat going (not really as contracting is basically dead), or conversely I could push papers....
    I'm definitely not making bank selling things but it's actually shaping up decently and maybe it will go somewhere. Perhaps if you keep your interest well fed and wait some then you can get an idea of what is best for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is Machining a Good career to get into?

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I'm 21, I had an interest in CNC machines early in my teens, and I bought a small machine when I was 18. I continue to wonder what I'll do for work since the economy isn't great, and getting a decent job isn't easy. What I did is I kept this interest of mine going, making a few bucks on the way, and I've kept college/education going.

Perhaps you could pursue some form of education, work in what interests you, and see which one pans out or perhaps both if your degree/certificate/etc works with your interest,
    For me I'm making a decent bit selling specialized wood work, then I have my father's occasional work, and then (lots of testing out then online college) college which I'm loathing but must finish since I'm 35 credits from my bachelors in boring business
    Hopefully I get the first option, if not the second might keep me somewhat going (not really as contracting is basically dead), or conversely I could push papers....
    I'm definitely not making bank selling things but it's actually shaping up decently and maybe it will go somewhere. Perhaps if you keep your interest well fed and wait some then you can get an idea of what is best for you.
    I think you are doing things the right way. My son (senior in high school) wants to work in our shop once he gets out of HS. No problem by me, but I am dead set on him getting an education in either business or finance first. Then come back and get dirty for as long as you want. Running machines and making things can be rewarding, but understanding money and how to make it work for you is something that most of us (including me) don't have a clue about. To answer the OPs question: Yes, I think machining can be a wonderful career. Our business has supported our family (and many employees and their family's) since WW2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is Machining a Good career to get into?

As far as not liking production I can relate to that.
    You are in luck that many aerospace machine shops and customers are really progressing towards JIT(just in time) deliveries which means shorter production runs.
    I have been in the manufacturing industry 29 years and have never been out of work.
    In my experience, being a machinist usually entails 48-60 hour work weeks in a busy shop. Plus shift work.
    I recommend looking at Cnc programming as a full time career. The work varies from day to day. I personally have worked for $28-70+ dollars/hr in my programming career. I started programming with Mastercam in the earl 90's and have since moved in to Catia/Delmia which commands premium salary. The down side is I have to move from time to time to be near the large aerospace companies that use Catia.
    I think the manufacturing industry as a whole is under staffed which means the future looks bright for continued employment.

I wish you much luck in your decision.
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it a good career choice ?? yes/no/maybe ? That would depend upon the individual and what they'd perceive is a good career choice .
    The key to being successful and always employed in machining is to be versatile , don't get yourself locked into mastering only a portion of the field /job market . Aerospace , oil , mining and forestry for example are always up and down , then theres mind numbing production work . Each and every field takes its punches . So learn as much as you can at one place then move on to the next . The shops have to adjust to change or they collapse , and many of them do (either or) . As an employee you need to know where you can jump to when you need to , and hopefully you can get to a point that a simple phone call is all that it takes to make a move .Over time you'll meet and work with people who will spread out , and if you pay attention then you'll already know your next move before you need to take it.
    The biggest mistakes that I've seen over the years are from the guys who move forward and are never willing to look back . The mistake is thinking that they are above all that . Deburring and all the crap work that goes along with the parts is the nature of the beast and I've heard it too many times " I don't do that crap , thats for the labourers to do " . There are stepping stones to learning this trade , and each time you step over one them stones - pick it up and carry it because you will need it again in the future
    Now , the passion of making things is a whole other story . It's always a great feeling to make something with passion , pride and a sense of accomplishment .
    But , lets say job shops for example , most times we are faced with drawings for a single part/component that we don't know what its for , the company doesn't know or care what its for , and we are simply there to make the parts and get them out . Lots of parts are nickle and dime brain dead stuff , some stuff is interesting and other parts are just outright frightening . Stuff happens and the thought of scrapping a part that is in 6 figures is pretty nerve wracking , I've seen big guys who were falling short of showing tears . The rewards are there once those parts successfully come off of the machine , and until then there is much needed focus
    On the other hand , there are a lot of cool and interesting markets out there , its just a matter of finding them . If you get into machining then you'll see it everywhere , because everywhere you go there will probably be something thats been machined , and of course you'll then analyze it .
    Cash wise the wages aren't bad , but when I compare the skill set involved with machining in comparison to most other trades , then theres a gap and we are on the wrong side of it as employees , shop owners have to pick and choose their own battles as well because machinery etc isn't cheap .

Is it a good career choice ? Yes/No , for those who have the right mind set it might be . I had a lot of opportunities in my youth and I've been doing this for over 20 years , I still ask myself " was this really a good career choice"

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Many people choose to take the positive attitude about this question. Whether it good or not, actually it all depends on yourself, how do you look at? or do you have some interests in machine? Because as I known, interests is the good teacher to do everything. Love the things what you do, and do the things what you love. So that's my suggestions for you, the choice is up to you.

ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It pays the bills!! Get with a good company and the business will look after you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, as long as you are good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by brass00 View Post
    Yes, as long as you are good at it.
    ... or can make the opportunities to GET good at it.

Bob La Londe