Is your Hobby Shop located in your home? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?

Voters
460. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its in the house, basement, attack, back room...

250 54.35%
  • Yes, its out on the breezeway exposed to the elements

4 0.87%
  • No, its located in the detached garage or shed

148 32.17%
  • No, its located in a remote site

18 3.91%
  • No, its at work in the company shop.

17 3.70%
  • Oh, if I only had my own shop to tinker in!

23 5.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish people would post some pics of their shops. I'd start the ball rolling but dont think the parents would appreciate me putting pics of their house on the internet! But when I have the workshop in a few months :touch wood: I'll post pics

bigz, I'd love to see that Harry Potter style magic shed!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For some reason I feel the same way about posting pics...mostly I'm just embarassed about the mess. Mines an attached garage. I get one of three spaces for machine shop, 1/2 for motorcycle work area and 1 1/2 for wife parking. I'm still trying to finish setting it up...just got my lights & electrical mostly finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well myself and the missus still haven't bought a bigger house for my workshop, but I have managed to upgrade to a temporary shed for a while. So anyone else got pics?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, My very first 'shop' was a 6ft square wooden hut I built while serving my apprenticeship, from scavanged bits of timber in 1958.

Although the cat hit the walls when I swung it round, the bench and micro micro piddly little effort someone had the balls to call a lathe, added to my knowledge of engineering, and got most of the model engineering projects off the ground.

I now have a brick garage, 4 metres X 7 Metres, and regularly wade in and try to get rid of the accumulated bits of "treasure" that are going to be handy to build something one day.
    The conclusion of it is that anyone who dabbles with tools, and has a yen to make things, needs somewhere to go so that you can sit in that dumpmaster reclaimed revolving office chair and stare at the walls while dreaming of the things you can make if you had the time.

Most of the time it serves as a service depot for the car,boat, garden machinery, decorating tools and a mass storage for all the worn out household junk that is too far gone to work but too good to throw away.

There are a lot of model workshops around, but they're not half as much fun to work in as one that is just for pottering in and odds and ends manufacturing.
    It's a blokes world, where the male dominator can exercise total authority, entertain his mates and know that anything left lying around will be exactly where he left it, and not be put away never to be seen again.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all again, when I was in UK in the 70's I had a prefab concrete panel garage.
    This was beut, but in the Spring and Autumn the cold nights and warm days caused the heavier bits of metal to sweat gallons of water, and so it was a battle to keep the rust at bay.

In spite of that, just to have somewhere to do things was freedom unparalleled by any posh shop.
    Gotta go, I'm bidding on a tool and cutter grinder on the US Ebay site, and might just get lucky.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My shop is in my attached garage with no room for a car of any size.

Vince

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had my wife take some pictures of my shop with her new digital camera so I could e-mail them to a friend of mine-- Good Lord! what a mess!! It's no wonder I get so much more ass time done down there than actual work.
    I ended up not sending the pictures out of embarassment and took the pledge not to start any new progects untill it was cleaned up.
    I decided as long as I'm cleaning I'll finely paint all the machines one color, of corse you can't do that without degreasing them and, if you're gonna' do that you might as well take them a little further apart to do a realy nice paint job and then, as long as yer' gonna' go that far I'll think real hard about scraping the ways on the shaper and....
    Can't deside if I'm a perfectionist, just like to putter, or am obsesive compulsive?

Downloads
    Uploads

Out of embarrasement, here is one picture of mi junk shop... :rainfro:

I took it 6 months ago. Now I have also a 10 Hp CNC lathe stuffed in here!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-despedida-de-lola-001-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

erd39030

Don't feel bad my shop looks alot worst...look at what you have there and add two sofas stacked on each other and a laundry room to boot.

Vince

Downloads
    Uploads

IN MY BEDROOM where i live, in my van that i drive, and in my shop where i'm saposed to be working. When ever i can sneek in some hobby stuff, i'm all over it.

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Downloads
    Uploads

located at room:-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My shop used to be the spare bedroom/office in me 15th floor apartment and the 50sq ft balcony (a sheet of plywood s 32sqft lots of room to maneuver). It had along one wall a fold-down Murphy bed that i made from a kit, and along the other wall a computer desk/workbench. Whenever i wanted to start tinkering, i had to clear the desk of the office stuff and take the tools and gear needed out of the modest closet (jammed floor to ceiling with woodworking, metal, and electronic tools -- even the table saw and router table were stored in the closet) and setup the bench for the project i needed. When the day was done all the gear had to go back into the closet lest my two toddler boys eat the little wires, metal shavings, bits of wood and plastic, or as they did to my stepper controller i made up on a breadboard, tear all the connecting wires out.

But now I've moved into a townhouse, i've taken over half the basement. One room for the wood/metal shop, and half the laundry room for my electronics shop. I'm so happy that i can finally leave projects out over several days without little "helpers" destroying it all.

Downloads
    Uploads

I added a small room behind my attached garage. I can fit 4 cars in there and still have room to putter around.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-garage07-18-03-01-small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1 View Post
    Mines an 9' x 6' Shed. Contains a 5' 6" x 3' 3 axis CNC machine, PC, Tall Freezer, compressor, pillar dril, scroll saw, belt sander plus a libarary of books. Its starting to defy physics the amount of stuff crammed in their.

I haven't got a clue how am going to build the first 7' span RC plane that the router cuts. On the bonus side its fully insulated and I even put a carpet down and have a swivel chair.

Liam
    Belated photos of my tiny shed as requested by Thinkoutsidethebox. Just put the house on the market so hopefully will have something larger when I move to NEW ZEALAND.

Above the freezer on the left is a homebuilt table saw for balsa only(anything heavier I cut at work). On the right of door and under CNC machine is parts for another 3 axis machine. Currently tidying on the wiring for tool height setter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-w1-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-w2-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-w3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, thanks for posting. I like the way you fitted in the cnc.

Downloads
    Uploads

My shop area is in the attached garage. I've made the Gingery machines including the metal lathe, metal shaper, horizontal milling machine and sheet metal brake. I still have some accesories to make for each of the Gingery machines, and I need to finish the tailstock for the milling machine. The newest addition is the SyilAmerica SX3 CNC mill and I just need to finish the Enclosure so I can implement the flood coolant with it. I also have a moulding bench for green sand moulding and a small furnace(about 2 qt capacity) for melting aluminum. I can post some pictures but it is very cluttered now with misc. boxes etc. It does not tend to motivate me when I have to clean an area before I can get to the machines ;(
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Regards,
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by metalworkz; 05-03-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fixed picture links
    Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have small detached house next to the shop.:rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Garage shop

Well this is my attached garage. I us a fan in the door to steal the houses AC. Garage door is insulated with comforters and wrapped around all air leaks and such. I have emergency blanket on the one window. That is some of the best stuff. We added all the shelves and benches.

Where would one do a build log for a shop. I have a log for the lathe and VMC. But alot of little stuff won't make it to those logs. Pics huh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8057-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8058-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8063-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8062-jpg  

Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8066-jpg   Is your Hobby Shop located in your home?-100_8065-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My shop is in one stall of a three-car detached garage behind my home

The white stuff in the picture is snow flakes. We had several inches by the next day.

Jim

www.outbackmachineshop.com

Downloads
    Uploads

AntiChip's Shop is cool! Looks like same stuff as ours as far as machining equip., rifles on the wall and R/C Helicopters. ?Where's the muscle car or Harley you've got to have one somewhere!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast