What machines are in your home hobby shop? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What machines are in your home hobby shop?

Voters
623. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metal Cutting Lathe

454 72.87%
  • Knee Mill

336 53.93%
  • Surface Grinder

123 19.74%
  • Metal Cutting Bandsaw

367 58.91%
  • Drill Press

499 80.10%
  • Wood Machines only

139 22.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What machines are in your home hobby shop?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Air compressor (5 hp), bench top cnc mill, 7x10 lathe, 2 hp drill press, chop saw, 3/4 hp buffer, 1/3 hp bench grinder, assorted other tools.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eric, looks good, you are going to have a very nice shop. it pains me to say this after its all neatly in place, but consider putting the surface grinder as far away from the lathe and mill as possible. There is inevitably airborne grit from its use, especially when dressing the wheel. relocating on the other side of the partition would be ideal, but at a minimum through a sheet of plastic over the other machine tools.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    There is inevitably airborne grit from its use, especially when dressing the wheel. relocating on the other side of the partition would be ideal, but at a minimum through a sheet of plastic over the other machine tools.
    Mcgyver,
    That's why I bought a surface grinder with a flood coolant pump! That will keep a lot of the abrasive dust down, but you are 100% correct! The idea of a plastic cove is good, but my habit of making blue chips would kill the plastic instantly! I do not plan on using the grinder too much, just to true up some tools and parts! Then sharpen cutters as the accessories become available! I currently have a bid on a Weldon air-bearing attachment for endmills.

My main concern is the lathe bed is so close to the garage door, if it were open during a windy rain, it could get rusty real fast! So maybe I should make a big lexan cover that will hinge out of th way, humm......???

Eric

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

oi. the shop tools list. how nice...

Enco drill-mill. with rotary table, indexer, and lots of tooling.. lots and lots.

Enco Lathe - the small(but not tiny) metal lathe kind.

Big expensive enco table saw with large table and accurate fence. Needs 220v, havent used it in the 3 years ive had it

2 drill presses (1 ryobi, 1 something big and heavy and asian)

central machinery planer

bench grinder, small bandsaw, bench polishing wheel, craftsman portable table saw, porter cable router and router table, frequency generator, frequency counter, PC based logic analyzer, bench DMM, Bench PSU, ryobi compound mitre saw,

all sorts of hand tools, layout tools.. im a bit spoiled. but then, i got alot of tools from a dying friend as he closed his business...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eric, after i posted re grinding dust, i realized you're experienced and no doubt had thought of this. still i'd toss a tarp or plastic over the mill when truing up wheels.

I've never bothered getting the coolant going on my surface grinder. Two reasons, 1) my english trained old timer tool and die maker mentor (as that enough adjectives?) says dry grinding is every bit as good on a manual machine, just go slowly , and 2) another t&c friend's wife complains of his breath smelling like coolant. assuming he's not drinking it, i never liked the idea of inhaling all that. maybe i should reconsider, but so far its been dry grinding with a disposable mask

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, lets see, I will only list the high points as all the smaller stuff slips my mind (more and more has been slipping away the older I get!)

Dufor “C” horizontal mill that I converted to a vertical with the addition of a Bridgeport head.
    Logan 6x30 lathe.
    2 drill presses
    CNC heat treat oven, electric home oven converted to temper oven
    2 60-gallon air compressors
    1 Dayton and 1 Kalamazoo horizontal cut off saws
    Miller 300A/BP 400-amp Tig/ Stick welding machine AC/DC, Dc reverse
    Hypertherm 40 Max CS plasma torch
    2 oxy/acc torches 1 on cart, 1 jewelers set
    Lincoln 125+ mig welder with gas shield
    Tannewitz 36” throat vertical die band saw
    5’x5’ Platen/Acorn table
    4’x10’x ¾” steel assembly table
    3”x72” horizontal belt sander
    Wonder 16” disc sander
    1 pedestal double grinder (12” diameter wheels) 3 bench grinders
    2 1.5-ton arbor presses
    7-ton screw press (flypress)
    Treadle hammer
    Bradley 75# upright helve power hammer
    2 post vices, 2 bench vices, 1 chipping vise
    2 gas forges 1 coal forge
    3 anvils 107#, 140# and 250#
    5 4’x8’ work benches
    40’ of 16’ high 3 tier pallet racking
    20’x20’x8.5’ mezzanine with 6 4’x10’ shelves underneath
    2 cherry picker hoists
    2 table saws (wood)
    Shaper (wood)
    Planer (wood)
    Joiner (wood)
    And many other smaller tools, hand tools, hand power tools etc.
    See my post in the where is your shop thread for a front view of my shop which is
    20' tall 30' wide and 75' long. When the wife says to build your shop, you do it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Eric!
    With making the list, I forgot to congratulate you on a very nice looking shop that is well planed and layed out, you really SHOULD be very proud of it!!!

When I worked in my garage and even now I used 2 old screen doors joined by hinges to form a folding screen to control the chips that came off the mill. I have 2 pairs of them. They allow air to flow but stop the chips from getting everywhere in the shop. That should work well for you also!

Cool

Thanks Cal Blacksmith!

I have just uploaded more images of my shop!
    The Electrician will be here tomorrow, to hook up the 220VAC 3-Phase motors to my house wiring which is 1-phase!

I'm anxious to make chips with the machines!

I did get the 110VAC stuff on the Grinder working, the Electromagnetic Chuck is really powerfull! It has really fine polls running the 12" length of the chuck!

Soon I'll be able to re-grind all my parallels and other tools!

Eric

www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Lathemaster 9x30 lathe (being CNC'd as we speak), Industrial Hobbies mill (will be CNC'd later), Drill Press, Harbor Fright Tool Grinder, De Walt Cold
    Saw, 5HP Compressor, ESAB PowerCut 1500 Plasma Cutter (next CNC project after the lathe), Miller Synchrowave 180SD, and a Miller 250 Mig.

Best,

BW

PS How about a poll of your "wish list" machines to acquire next? I'm looking at 20" disk sanders myself, after which I will go in search of a surface grinder.

Cool It's a little discouraging and getting expensive!

All day Friday I worked on retrofitting a 5C Collet Closer on to my new lathe, it was new from the same manufacturer as the lathe! First I had to make an adapter to fit the closer to the end of the spindle, then I had to drill holes in the gearbox near the edge, to maount the ancor bar for the collet closer. when all that was done, i realized the drawbar thread was messed up, and would not take a standard 5C collet! So i dismanteled the whole unit, and put the draw bar in the lathe chuck and re pointed the 20-pitch thread to fit the collet (what a pain in the ass to pick up an exsisting thread)!
    Then I re assembled the whole unit, re-mounted it on the end of the lathe, and fount it to be totally impossible to adjust the tension of the collet closing, because of some hidden spring loaded pint in the revolving part of the unit! That was aggrivating! Then i realized the unit would NOT work above 600 RPM! Now that made me mad!

My lathe has a maximum of 2000 RPM, and it started to walk across the floor! The Chinese Collet Closer was so poorly made, nothing on it was concentric! Aand impossible to repair, short of remanufacturing 90% of the unit!

So Monday Morning I will be battling the distributor who sold it to me, and I will insist on getting my money back!

I did a little research, and found that KBC tools & MSC Supply both sell a Hardinge grade collet closer for $1000, thats my last resort, if I can not get a used one !

Live and learn!

Eric

www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Poor Me!

If I had my workshop I could answer this post, but since I don't I'll just slink away in shame...... (See signature)

Downloads
    Uploads

Fixed table saw, wood chop saw, aluminum chop saw, abrasive steel chop saw, band saw, planer, jointer, mortising machine, drill press for wood, 12 spd. mill drill for tapping, big mill drill w/DRO for steel & aluminum, 9x20 lathe w/DRO, portable table saw with router table & plunge router, fixed router table w/ router, spindle shaper, 12 in disc sander, 9in disc & 6x36 belt sander, 2 ft. X 3 ft. CNC router, CNC mini mill, MIG welder, OXY ACY torches, 3 or 4 compressors, spray guns, air tools, hand tools of course...

Ive also got rails and controls for 3 more medium size CNC machines and one 5' X 10' but nowhere to put them.

Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Home Machine Shop

Not as Impressive as some of the others, but it gets the Jobs Done. One Benifit to having a Home Machine Shop.

BTW: Nice Shops Guys

tobyaxis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lookin good widgitmaster seems like some serious widgiting bout to happen

over here we gots a drillpress,grinder,sandblastercabinet,compressor,b enchtopmill+4thaxe,metalbandsaw,some airtools and lots a handtools ooh yes the partswasher always comes in handy since i still haven't got streaming water in the shed and soon there will be a lathe very soon(i hope)

always a pleasure

Downloads
    Uploads

realistically its not a hobby shop but seeing as I only do the stuff for extra cash or for things i want i consider it fun therefore a hobby. Anyways, I got two 100 gal comperssors, 1) 3 gallon powdercoating and airbrushing compressor, three power coating ovens(smallest fits engine brakets abot 4" wide by 10" long)(biggest will fit a 20" streched chopper frame) (middle will fit a 6 banger valve cover or stripped down v-twin jugs), powdercoating booth, caswell progun powder coating kit, chroming tanks, and cadmium plating tanks, frame jig for choppers and street bikes, tubebender for up to 2" dia tubing, 10" dia. chop saw, 36" drill press, sandblast cabinet, blueprint table, sawzall, 4" hand grinder, 7" hand grinder, lincoln promig 135 welder, miller sycrowave 200 runner tig, 6" benchtop grinder, 3hp buffer polisher, full anodizing line with 10 dyes, sieg x2 cnc retrofit mill, sieg cnc retrofit lathe(cummins tools version) , industrial hobbies cnc mill, '94 no name wire edm, metal cutting bandsaw, vacuum table and vacum infusion setups for composites, old kansas jack frame machine with three towers, an office being remodeled now and much more pics to follow later tonight. I have three garages i work out of at night: one for coatings, one for metal fab and one for composites and vehicle fab. I run three businesses (a composites manufacturing line of infusion and wet layup, "choppers" and associated parts, and metal finishing) and keep it all running while keeping a semi day job. And my security system (because everyone knows thos are tools too) consist of one pure breed 87lb pitbull who has been schutzhund trained and a 12 foot bermeise python....all of which are conversation peices when a friend comes over.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harbour freight cnc mill,drill press,4x6 gantry router,3 router tables,band saw, jig saw,table saw,lapping table(granite) rotary lapping table(motorized)table belt,disk sander, and all power hand tools. And not even enough room.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Until I can get out of LA, or find a place with a yard, and/or barn/garage ($600k+ in LA - bup that), I have to deal with small machines, and not being able to use them most of the time. Tiny apartments w/ new mothers upstairs who <i>never leave</i> will be the death of me.

Sherline:
    5400 CNC mini mill
    4400 CNC mini lathe

Ryobi (all bought within the last month, none used yet - simply too loud)
    small band saw
    12" compound mitre saw
    router table
    router

If you're in LA, and know how someone can find space in which to work for not too much money, please let me know. And if you're wondering - I'm here because of a good office job, but my heart lives in a spacious workshop, somewhere deep in the woods, with unicorns.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfixler View Post
    And if you're wondering - I'm here because of a good office job, but my heart lives in a spacious workshop, somewhere deep in the woods, with unicorns.
    Lol, sounds familiar. If you find that woods let me know.

Since this thread doesn't include hand tools I wont comment. But when I get my workshop set up Im looking forward to posting some pics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have 9x42 Jet Mill with Newall 3 axis DRO, 13x40 Jet Lathe with Newall 2 axis DRO, 14 inch Jet Vertical Bandsaw, Jet 7x12 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw, Harbor Freight Drill Press, Sears 12 Gallon Air Compressor, Harbor freight Combination Brake, Jet Notcher, Welders (Spot, Stick, Tig, and, Mig ), Bison 12 inch Rotary Table/Tailstock, Kurt Vise, Metal Puncher, Metal Formers, etc. I also have a complete wood working shop. As of today, I don’t know anything about metalworking. My mind took control of me after reading these websites and the dreams took over.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've beeing tooling up since 1991 and have the following so far:

Grizzly 12" gap bed lathe
    Myford Super 7 lathe
    Bole lathe
    Enco bench mill
    Enco floor drill press
    Delta bench bandsaw converted to cut metal
    Carroll dividing heads
    Rotary table
    Ingersol 60gal compressor w/ dessicant dryer
    Craftsman 25gal compressor
    Carbide grinder
    Regular grinder
    30 ton shop press

Grizzly table saw
    Grizzly jointer
    Grizzly shaper
    Delta planner

Pneumatic grinder, brad nailer, staplers, impact wrenches
    Hand Routers
    And many other power and hand tools.

Small Oxy/Acet setup
    Mig welder

More power!!

Resently sold an old Atlas Metal Shaper.

Carl

Last edited by cmnewcomer; 12-14-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast