Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

I started out as a cnc operator/trainee. Did that for about 6 years, and have been programming cnc's full time for the last 7 years. Just wondering who else on cnczone works in manufacturing.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Been in the trade since 1975. Started on the burr bench. Started programming about 10 years ago. Been a full time programmer using MasterCam for last 7 years

Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

15 years machining 5years programming one yearmanufacturing technician

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

6 years in shipping/recieving.
    5 years of set up, and operating. I also handled all tools for the shop, ordering, organizing, and stocking.
    It was real nice always haveing the exact tool I wanted for the job.
    3 of those years I was the assistant programer.
    I am currently the inspector.
    I still program every now and then, maybe two or three times a week.
    Mostly I inspect and make the process sheets to go along with our jobs.

Downloads
    Uploads

took machining in HS since i was 16, made stuff for freinds in garage (Hotrods!) for about 10yrs, became auto mechanic 10yrs, then machinist/cnc operator for 2years, opened business its been about 7 years and now have lots of toys (10 machines!). ITs been a rollercoaster ride though! We are currently going up hill waiting for the next down turn saving our penny's.

wouldn't trade it for anything!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

worked weekends and summers sweepin chips n drilling holes at age 12 in my fathers shop quit school at gr 10 and worked at the shop conventional machining and taking the crap load for the shop machinists and welders.went out west and took on a shop foreman job at a fab shop machining came home and managed his shop for three years or so then bought it and have had it for 3 yrs now and still machining i love the job. I just bought my first cnc mill last week and this is how i found this site i think its great to share help and learn thanks a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

I do all 3. Wouldn't accept anything else ! In our shop most operators don't

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 year at the machine shop, a few years in my own shop. I am the only one there who knows how to run cam programs
    other than that its a sweet shop.

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys
    I started as an fitter and turner on a 4 year Apprentiship. 2nd year i was programming c.n.c. lathes. 4 years running them. Then went into production planning for 2 years only (could'nt handle sitting on my butt for that long ).
    Back out onto the floor as a programmer and planner with 7 c.n.c. lathes and 1 Vertical machining centre. Spent the next 8 years in that postion.
    My company them brought out their main compediter and i spent 1 year getting their machines up to speed, before they brought them over to our main factory and sold off the old one. Stayed for another year and then left to the place where i are currently working.
    I now run a Okuma MB56va machining centre, Fanuc wire cutter and Surface grinder and have got back onto the tools. Small toolroom in a company that has started to make their own press tools. Got out of the production side of things and now know i should of done it years ago.
    Now programme with Mastercam and love it.

Cheers Darren

Downloads
    Uploads

My machining career started 20 years ago on conventional mills & lathes and I still machine with the same Tree tool & die mill and Cadillac engine lathe. I started programming, setting up and running CNC machines 10 years ago when I started my own shop. In addition to machining and programming I do a lot of cad work. And I'm also the master broom pusher.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey darren,
    Welcome to the zone!!
    Good to see you here.

PEACE

Downloads
    Uploads

Most of my work involves program, setup and running of the cnc. Sometimes i need to design/redesign first then do progamming, setup and running of the cnc. I build my own jigs (i hate other people's jigs & fixtures, LOL!). Then sometimes i have to do project management on the stuff i source out.....

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started out taking Machine Shop in High school and working in a local shop after school running turret lathes.

Went to Northeast Missouri State and got an 2 year certificate in Machine Tool Tech.
    and a B.S. in Industrial Occupations.

Started working for an Aerospace Subcontractor in 1985 as a machine operator running 5 axis profilers.

Promoted into the NC Programming department in 1987. Been programming for 5 axis
    profilers using N.C.L. ever since.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started machining as a "wee lil' boy" of about 8 yrs old in the '70s at Grandpa's shop (aerospace and government work). Ran a Cincinatti lathe. Couldn't even load some of the parts since they weighed a little more than half of me (at the time). Have a picture of me (about 9 or 10 yrs old) standing on a Bridgeport table, hunched over with one hand on the draw bar, the other holding on the tool (I was doing a tool/collet change).

Got into die working, switched to CNC (tape readers), programmed lathes, then switched to VMs and HMs around '85 or '86.

Being a military brat (and not one to stay still in one area), I've machined in 3 continents, 6 countries and 4 states...... I still haven't got it all figured out.

Never will, but, always looking to learn new things,.... There's always a 'better' way to do something 'tomorrow' than the way I did it 'today'.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took every machine shop class I could in High School and started working as a machinist in a family owned business that speciallizes in custom N.D.T. (Non-destructive Testing) systems. Been here for 16 years and now I am the machine shop supervisor, not to mention shop welder, machinery repairman, building maintenance man, among many other things.
    We don't have any CNC in the shop yet so I built my own CNC Router just so I could get the experience in programming and operating a CNC type machine. Since I have worked here I have taught myself how to weld, work with AutoCAD, design and all that other good stuff. I find the best way to learn something is to just do it. Never been one for going to school and sitting in a classroom. CNC is just the next challenge I want to learn and be skilled in.

Carl

Downloads
    Uploads

I started out in a mold shop and went through the Tooling and Manufacturing Association's apprenticeship program. I started out on the manual mill and worked up to precision grinding. I had the opportunity to go to a model shop and learn CNC. Now, ten years and a few shops later, I am programming and running CNC machines making high quality prototype models. I have met a lot of CNC programmers and operators and it has been my experience that the ones that have a solid foundation in manual machining are the ones that excel in CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I currently work for a large production shop, making parts for the semiconductor ind,
    running the weekend shift, I do setups,run, program, program testout and repair for other programmers, the industry is good paying, but has a wide up and down volume
    many or or parts are now going to China
    this is my 4th job in 4 years.
    would ultimitly like to get into a custom auto/motorcycle manufacturing

IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started a tool & die apprenticeship 23 years ago working on manual Bridgeport’s & LeBlond lathes. I then went to school for CNC programming. After graduation, I enrolled in an internship and eventually employment, programming and operating vertical and horizontal machine centers and lathes (Producing mostly missile & military aircraft components). After seven years in the metal working industry, Military budget cuts and downsizing of larger companies had me looking to local production woodworking. I went to work for a production furniture company (1200 employees) as a CNC programmer, sub assembly & fine mill supervisor and eventually production engineer. During which time I was programming for the company’s CNC routers, CNC lathes, and CNC double end tenoners, a CNC twin spindle 5 axis router, and CNC point to point machine. After 16 years of that, I decided to start my own shop working out of my 3-car garage. I’ve been in business for 2-1/2 years, and I’m in the process of moving into to a new 5,000-sq. ft. building I recently purchased. At this point I only own 2 CNC Routers and a CNC Vertical machine center, I’ve also been speaking with my local Mazak dealer about getting a CNC Lathe. I’ll see what kind of deal I can work out. And I can say that “Yes, I do it all”.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started out on a Warner Swasey 4A turrett lathe 25 years ago. Then took over as an Inertia Welding machine operator.Took a brief 3 year leave, thought I wanted to work in sales, BIG mistake. Came back. Learned to run engine lathes, mills, surface grinder then CNC. Ran production for an oilfield manufacturer for several years, learned programming. I am now a supervisor over the CNC department. We have 9 CNC lathes and 1 CNC mill. It's been a wild ride! I still enjoy the machine work when I get the chance to do some. The supervising pays more but not as much fun.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started programming in 1974 in N/C equipment with paper tape. Programmed till 1986 and was strictly a manufacturing engineer till 1993. Moved into purchasing. Returned to school and just received my BS in manufacturing engineering technology. I've programmed horizontal lathes, 2-spindle vertical lathes, vertical and horizontal machining centers, punches, combination punch/plasma, 4-head plasma machines. I did lots of manual programming and Compact II computer assist and Equinox. In school I programmed water jet cutter and EDM. Used Mastercam.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast