Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started out tearing things apart and trying to see what made them tick. Not always worried about getting them back together. Unless of course it belonged to my Father! Heheh! Having a compulsive bit of intrigue on anything mechanical or electro-mechanical I found all shop classes a big play ground for a young mind. Between the shiny machines, precision instruments, electronics projects and reading about making R/C engines, I was hooked.

In some form or another, I have always been in manufacturing.

1 yr part time in a Heat Treat Plant to support my first car!
    1 yr burr bench, chip technician
    4 yrs at a sweat shop cranking manual handles on mills and lathes.
    6 yrs in Steel Wire products plant (otherwise known as Hell on earth)
    4 yrs of night school to get a 2 yr AA degree in Electronics/Robotics
    5 yrs in a FAA Prop Overhaul Facility.
    3 1/2 yrs in a Thermal Form Plastics shop as a Tool Maker/Maintenance
    1 yr of Community College for AutoCAd, Production tooling, and Job Shop quoting.
    5 yrs OEM CNC Field Service Machine Tool Tech.
    6 yrs to date as a Machine designer/Tool Maker/Maint. Tech.

This all lead me to my current position, which is as a Machine Designer/Tool Maker/Machine Tool Technician, one of which could change at any given moment without the convenience of a telephone booth! Not much different than industrial process engineering?

My main function is to design machines and tooling for secondary production processes by Blind employees. It is by far one of the finest facilities, with the kindest people I have ever had the honor to work with. There rarely seems to be a limit on the technology I get to play around with that supports our main goals. This is my 6th year and I really enjoy what I am doing. It is an awesome blend to get to draw my design for an assembly in AutoCad or Solidworks, program it via CAM or conversational to the machine, then make it come to life with mechanical, electronics and software developed to give a level of independence to the operator.

A true waste of hard earned skills would be by not passing them on to someone else.

I have my own well equiped shop at home for side jobs and hobby stuff.

DC

Last edited by One of Many; 09-11-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Funny Start

It's funny how I got started in the machining industry.

I had worked construction for a company that also had a manufacturing facility that made the freezer panels that I installed. Well there had been some talk about moving the buisness about 45min away and we had actually cleaned up a place for the manufacturing buisness to move but was not supposed to move for a little under a year. Over memorial day weekend we came back to work and found that all the equipment was moved without even telling me they were going to move it. The boss said he would give me a buck an hour raise if I went down to work for him I said "no". So I agreed to stay a couple of days to clean up but that was it. So that day I looked in the employment section of the paper and noticed that there were several "cnc" jobs, I had no idea what they were but they paid well, so I went for it.

After some talk to people they said the best bet for me is to start out at a trade school, so I did. The schooling covered all the basics including autocad and I found my self facinated with the whole process, so much so that I went on to a local college to get an AA in Computer Aided Manufacturing(like an AA in mechanical basically)

Now I am a plant engineer for a machine shop in the great state of Kansas. I love my job and my career choice and have never looked back. I love a good challenge and I get that everyday at work.

Here's to life and the choices we make

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am 5 yrs out of college, and never get to use the CNC machines at work. I design rubber extrusion dies for an automotive manufacturer, but the closest I get to the cnc process is making the models in AutoCAD, Inventor Catia and Solidworks. I envy the guys that get to use the tools, so I'm gonna try my hand at building some. Not looking for a career change, just to broaden my horizons and learn about electronics and motion control. I have no idea what i will do with my machine once I am done, but my 3 yr old is thrilled that i'm making a robot. It won't quite be what she expects in the end, I am sure.... maybe I'll use the mill to build parts for something a little more 'interactive'...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up CNC setting and programming

Hello,
    Dont know if anyone will read this:
    I did a 4 year apprenticeship in Australia on CNC Lathes, Mills and mechanical porduction lathes.
    I know programming for a few controllers like FANUC and OKUMA, and am underway on building a cnc lathe and mill of my own both with auto turrets.
    still a little research on the internet to go yet.
    But if there is anything you need working out, please dont hesitate to contact me at: rhino@acenet.net.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took machine shop in vo-tech started running punch presses straight out of school. Moved up to CNC operator in a couple years. Now a couple years later I program CNC mills and a Laser. I still get to run the good old machines from time to time (not as often as I would like to). Right now I'm working on getting a VF6, minimill and gantry mill in here. I also do maintanance on the laser, Nitrogen generator and air compressor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got my first job in the industry a few weeks ago, first few days they put me on a CNC router, then a few days ago operating on a milling centre. Needless to say my school training helped where my total lack of experience (I thought) would've been a problem. So far so good.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm New To Your Site,
    I Find It Very Interesting, Purchased A Machine For Home Use, Finally.
    32 Years C.n.c. Machining, Vertical, Horizontal, And Lathes. I Program At The Control. (fanuc,okuma,mitsubishi,boss,fadal,general Numerics[old],yasnac,haas).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hrm, well. I started manuals. Drills, mills, & lathes for about 12 years. I mainly have been on the larger machines. Went to CNC's in mid 90's. Programming from path trace to master cam. Now I lean more towards the mamagement side. Controlling the master production schedule from sales to out the door. It's alot harder to get people to do the work than it is to just run the parts yourself. However, upper management frowns on the fact that I still will crank handles or program mdi for faster cycle times. Machining is the most under appreciated trade out there. Sad but true.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do the lot and have since 1986 or so and I STILL haven't got it all sussed lol
    Programme it on a PC, transfer it to the beast then the machine, with great precision, does exactly what it wants... which usually is nowhere close to what I want it to do

it's fun when it works

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have 32 +yrs Did 7 yrs tool & die Have my papers .Then went from shop to shop to learn differant Styles you learn more thet way . then in '85 took cnc programing . then just hit the books and tryed differant programing , inserts catalogs , each company give you differant information , stayed in CNC job shop , then went to a Major Machine tool manf. Was in turnkey for 10yrs took some cad & cad cam classes now i desighn fixtures draw them write programes for fixtures & the parts to be manf.
    optamize programes parametric programing & mess with macro's a little bit. You can never stop learning and moving forward that the cool thing about this trade . the more you put into it the more you get out . but i am limited because of a disabilty it suckes. I do my best i was taught by some master machinists and tool & die makers . its hard to find that know days .its push the button now days .Later guys

Trev

Downloads
    Uploads

Sadly true Bear... I was taught optical manufacturing techniques by some very skilled and experienced craftsmen and haven't been able to pass them on to anyone 'cos there's no apprentices anymore.

I was in the last group of apprentices at Barr & Stroud and the techniques will probably die with me *sniff*

'Tis a bit sad actualy.

Iain

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been in the metal trades since 1965. Stated as a machinest in the navy, worked at small machine builders for several years. Got electronics and hydraulics degree's and moved on to be an engineer for Ford Motor Company. Now I run the mold repair/tool room operation in a Visteon (ex-ford) plant. I have my own shop with (2) cnc bridgeports, small cnc lathes and many miscellaneous manual machines. I am building up a big sharnoa knee mill now with rutex drives and deskcnc software. I've programmed 2 axis, 3axis and 4 axis mills and lathes and 6 axis articulated robots. When ever I program and run a michine I am astounded and enjoy watching it run. It'slike a video game to me. What technology!!! Any one that needs parts made give me a bling and maybe I can do your stuff for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In 1966 I started helping my dad in his basement machine shop when I was 10. Dad and a partner started a business involving machining and integrated assemblies when I was 13. I worked in the machine shop and occasionally in the assembly and wiring end of the business part time while I was going to college and later full time. I worked there for 13 years total. In 1976 I started programming NC mills that utilized paper tape. I made the programs with a TI -30 calculator with an LED display and 9 volt battery. I punched out the tape with an IBM Flexo Writer.

In 1982 a customer wanted several templates made to use on his tracer mills. These consisted of several large radii, cam and parabolic shapes. With my trusty TI-30 and several 9 volt batteries, I programmed all these shapes using angular coordinates. Once all the key punch errors were corrected and the programs were prooved out, we ran off the customers parts and sold him the templates. He was so impressed I knew how to do that. He offered me a job and bought some of his own NC machines. Up until then it seems, non straight line machining was done by layout, saw and sand.

Since then I had a few jobs and occasionally will contract my services when I have the time or something interests me enough to make the time. My present full time job has been going on for the last 21 years. I dabbled with various programming software including IBM APT, PMX, Computervision, Smart Cam and Surf Cam. Finally we stopped playing software games and went with the market leader. We bought Mastercam 6 and over the years added upgrades to Mastercam 9.

We do a lot of work machining work for the aircraft and mold industry. I especially like the challenges involved in creating the geometry utilizing surfaces and solids. I find 3D and mulit axis work the most interesting and challenging. Cad/Cam software and machining centers these days is amazing. We can cut complex shapes almost as simply as we could flycut a part 30 years ago. Yes I can make those cool things the guys on the Discovery Channel make.

Sorry if this is a boring long winded tale but you asked for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bought an old CNC Bridgeport mill at auction for 11g Aust$, spent 4 days calc trig on one toolpath 7 typing 1" tape on teletype, ordered an EZCAM bridgeport software for 12g Aust$, but didn't come from PommyLand for 7months exchange rate altered cost us 19g by time it got here! Best thing I EVER did! All the jobs went thro the old NEC pc with 8" floppies, had to teach myself from the book, got pretty good after 1 year!. Used it to write my own posts, Incl vertical & horizontal indexing for our Maho CNC. Spent the crown jewels on Cadds5, worst thing I ever did! I was hopeless at it & training cost a mint! 1/2 retired now, but still go to work every day, & still use the EZcam for simple 2D programs. I have designed a lot of special purpose mcs, &can't wait to one day try building my own CNC mill/router with big travels, from all the junk I have collected. It's interesting to see so many having a go at PC cnc & having such fun

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started sweeping chips and picking up rags in my fathers mold shop in 1985.
    Went to machining in 1986.
    Turned on the spindle with my brand new Interapid indicator in it on my second day. (never did that again)
    Cut molds and dies on very large machines till two years ago.
    I used to program my own jobs all the time untill I moved to Arizona.
    I think most shop owners here think you need a mechanical engineering degree to run a mouse on a computer.
    Currentley looking for a place to hang my hat for good.
    It has been a fun ride and met some of the best people.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started at 17, shop needed a 2nd programmer to help out. Turned out that they had bought'n Surfcam & the old programmer didn't want to switch to it from Mastercam, she was set in her ways. So i took it on learning both! Did drawings & programming for a Benchman 4000 & Servo Impact for 3 months, then the operator (was a great guy) had a heartattack at the shop, few days past then the boss said "its your job now & we're behind schedule! get to work". So i learned the machines and did everything for lil over 3yrs, doing everything i could do from cnc to the old Panto's, making cutters.

I lefted 8 months ago to run my own biz, i now run a cnc mill, cnc router, laser engraver. I'm turning 22 in april and i now know what stress is!!!! haha...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machine shop is all i know. been at it about 6 years and just got a programming / Tech at the place i work know. I'm learn by the truck loads daily and it rocks!. I'm learning esprit and ran mastercam 4 about 3 years. So if i post something that make no sences just remeber i'm a Noob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This may sound silly, but I just enjoyed reading all of your biography's! So many different people, with different backgrounds, enjoying the same thing...Manufacturing! As for me, I started in my Dad's pattern shop (no CNC's) while still in High School, and was polishing patterns, running fillets and making gating when I wasn't baling hay for the local farmers. Now, 25 years later I own the business, have 3-Mastercam programmers, 7-Fadals (none of the patterns get made by hand anymore, it's all CNC) and 8-support people. I have a great bunch of guys - old and really young - who all have the same love of manufacturing that you people do. Next time I'm hiring, I'll be sure to post the ad on this forum! (Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

started out as an operator wanted more out of the trade so i moved around to different shops picking up expierience an today i build an repair molds full time as well as run my own home base machine shop on the side

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started on NC's programming and setting up starturn lathes in the early 70's. Just to make a change in one number, had to take the tape, read it in a tape reader up to the point the change had to be made, turn the dial to skip the binary number you wanted to change, type the new number, continue auto punching from the original, go back put it back in the machine, run the program and find out you have to make another change 6 blocks later, go back do it all again. about 74 the cinturn cnc came out and started on that. Lots easier. Been doing it ever since. Have my own shop now. Only thing, i hate doing it... after 35 years, it gets very boring. Just got a cnc plasma machine in, never even touched one, so maybe this will give me something to start making it fun again,, so far though, it's just driving me crazy. i'm getting real good at burning up tips and electrodes...

Dave

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast