Input on two bench top injection machine options.

Thread: Input on two bench top injection machine options.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Input on two bench top injection machine options.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the machines below or with similar setups? The shot size for both machines fit within my window. Both machines are slow, but would more than meet my production needs. My real need is quality parts. Can these small machines produce high surface quality or does it all have to do with the mold? I realize that a highly polished, properly designed mold is required for any machine to split out a good part, but is a large industrial machine also required or will one of these small machines get it done.

My situation...
    • Small run production of multiple parts as well as experimentation parts
    • Good quality parts needed
    • Some parts need very nice cosmetic face
    • Small shot, single cavity molds ok
    • CNC available in house for aluminum mold machining
    • ABS plastic prefered

Is one of these worth a shot? Other options? Using a proto service would run me broke and take too long to pay off. However, I dont want to run down a road that will never work either. Thoughts, suggestions?

From Robotdigg
    https://www.robotdigg.com/product/65...caAh84EALw_wcB

From APSX
    https://www.apsx.com/desktop-injecti...p/apsx_pim.htm

Thanks for any input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Input on two bench top injection machine options.

A...custom molding is Cheap Cheap

B...Molds are Expensive

Where do you think your time and money will have the most impact?

Once you own some molds you can have the machine builder prove that their molding machine can make good parts from it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any experience with either of those machines, but I did do a bit of molding in the past. I would say go with the American made machine over the one from China. They might be equal quality, I can't say for sure, but I can almost guarantee the support for the US machine will be 100x better.

But I agree with general: it is not that expensive to have your molds shot at a custom shop. You just need to find one that does small parts (they'll have a lot of Boy or Arburg machines, usually. Or whatever it is the cool kids shoot plastic in these days.). The quality of the molds is going to make the biggest difference, so I would spend your time/money there before trying to also become an injection molder.

That's just my opinion. That and 2 bucks will get you a coffee these days!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I were to machine my own molds and send them to a shop for injection, how do I know what size mold blank to start with and where the injection point should be? I assume aluminum molds will be ok with any of these shops? Do you have a shop suggestions for the beginner?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

check out Morgan Press machine , they have been made for decades out here in California and I am sure there are some used ones for sale ,

If you get this going let me know as I might need some plastic parts made

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCCoupe View Post
    If I were to machine my own molds and send them to a shop for injection, how do I know what size mold blank to start with and where the injection point should be? I assume aluminum molds will be ok with any of these shops? Do you have a shop suggestions for the beginner?
    Well, now you're getting into a whole other question: how to design a mold. Typically, the mold size is derived from how big the part is, and what size machine it would be going into. And typically, the plastic is shot into the center of the mold, and is then directed to the part through runners. There's all kids of gates, depending on application. For questions like that, I suggest you pick up some books on mold design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So here is the direction I went. Looks like a little patience may have paid off. Had to drive about 2600 miles round trip to Fort Worth to pick it up (Thats a rental truck. Cant afford one that nice!), but its moved. Many challenges with the loading/hauling/unloading/moving of this beast but its in place. There is no 3 phase service, so the electronics powered up ok with a 4kw HY converter. The heaters should also be ok on that converter but haven't tried yet. It shuts right down when the motor is turned on, as was expected. Another HY converter at 7.5kw has been ordered to run the motor separately. I'm told all is fully functional and at $950, it was far far cheaper than either of the machines discussed above and also much cheaper than any of the Morgan machines I've seen sold. More fun/education to come.
    Input on two bench top injection machine options.-dsc_0158-jpg
    Input on two bench top injection machine options.-dsc_0159-jpg

Activation process patterson192's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you ever figure this out? I had Ernesto at Benchtop Molds | Home Page make a single cavity mold for me. Great quality and I bought a LNS Technologies Model 150a benchtop machine to do the small batch work myself. I can send photos if you would like to see.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCCoupe View Post
    So here is the direction I went. Looks like a little patience may have paid off. Had to drive about 2600 miles round trip to Fort Worth to pick it up (Thats a rental truck. Cant afford one that nice!), but its moved. Many challenges with the loading/hauling/unloading/moving of this beast but its in place. There is no 3 phase service, so the electronics powered up ok with a 4kw HY converter. The heaters should also be ok on that converter but haven't tried yet. It shuts right down when the motor is turned on, as was expected. Another HY converter at 7.5kw has been ordered to run the motor separately. I'm told all is fully functional and at $950, it was far far cheaper than either of the machines discussed above and also much cheaper than any of the Morgan machines I've seen sold. More fun/education to come.
    Input on two bench top injection machine options.-dsc_0158-jpg
    Input on two bench top injection machine options.-dsc_0159-jpg

How's the machine working out for you? I'm contemplating a similar attempt at injection molding, and those Boy's seem like a good option.