I bought an older plasmacam setup and am having a connection problem

Thread: I bought an older plasmacam setup and am having a connection problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I bought an older plasmacam setup and am having a connection problem

So I bought an old DHC+ plasmacam machine at an auction and am having issues with the connection to the computer, I think my software is version plasmacam 3.04. Upon initialization I'm getting an "Error: could not start port access driver. Error: code 2". To troubleshoot this I went into the system setting > system setup tab > then autodetect port settings, I then get the same error code 2 message along with a "machine not detected on any port" message that asks me to check power, cables, hardware and BIOS settings. So far I've went into my BIOS and tried several different combinations of parallel port settings to no effect. I've also tried several different parallel port cables.

Aside from the connectivity issues with the computer port the machine appears to be working as is should, the pause light blinks on startup at least.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on what could be going on?

The plasmacam table came with a windows 7 computer that appears to have been used with the table but there is no way to confirm it wasn't a recent addition to it.

I was going to wait to post this in the official owners forums but it seems they are super slow to let new owners in. I've been told maybe sometime next week I might get access to it....... I must be going threw a security clearance investigation on their end to take so long lol. They must talk about some pretty secretive stuff over there!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I bought an older plasmacam setup and am having a connection problem

Hi,

First, you won't be able to access the PlasmaCam Owners Community forum until the table is properly registered in YOUR NAME with PlasmaCam. You must have PlasmaCam's blessing in order to get any support from them.

I believe you may have the old "PlasmaCAM 3.02" software. That is no longer supported by PlasmaCam. However, there are users you can contact through the Facebook PlasmaCam groups that may be able to help you get your table up and running.

The current software is "DesignEDGE" version 4.53. If you do not have that, you can purchase it from PlasmaCam for a couple grand, plus another $998.00 for every upgrade to the BASIC software package they sell.

You say you have a "DHC+" That is a specific designation of a DHC table that was converted to the newer (square) Z-motor on the carriage, and the rails should have been raised 1/2" above stock height. If the previous owner did in fact convert his DHC to a DHC+ then PlasmaCam MAY help you get the current software, as it should have been included in the conversion.

You really need to find a copy of the "PlasmaCam 3.11" software if possible, but PlasmaCam will not sell it to you.

Where are you located? If you are close enough to me, I can run out to your home to help you get things set up. I am in Franklin, KY., south of Bowling Green.

Welcome to the mad, mad, mad, mad world of PlasmaCam!

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I bought an older plasmacam setup and am having a connection problem

When you find out what version of software you need, post it or PM.

I have an old cd with one of the older versions, not sure which one offhand.

Downloads
    Uploads

It will either be 3.02 or 3.11. Good stuff, Maynerd!

Joe