Headed To FabTech 2019 in Chicago - Tired of PlasmaCAM

Thread: Headed To FabTech 2019 in Chicago - Tired of PlasmaCAM

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Headed To FabTech 2019 in Chicago - Tired of PlasmaCAM

So I logged onto the Owners Community yesterday. I didn't want to, but I was forced to because the time bomb built into my version 4.48 of DesignEdge went off.

Apparently the forums are all down at the moment. BUT, I could still download the latest and greatest version of DesignEdge. It would allow me to to THAT.

When the red bar appears on the opening splash screen of DesignEdge telling you that you need to update your software, you have (n) number of times you can open DesignEdge before you shut it down normally one day and, oh gosh, oh golly jeepers! ... your SETTINGS file is suddenly corrupt and you have NO CHOICE but to update your software to the latest version, LIKE IT OR NOT.

This has happened to me TOO MANY TIMES for it to be an "oopsie!" coincidence.

IF DesignEdge would allow me to REINSTALL the same version and not make any changes, I would not be bothered by something happening to the SETTINGS file. I could reinstall the SAME version 4.48 and continue as normal. I could CHOOSE whether or not I will update my software to the latest version. NO CHANCE with PlasmaCam. Evidently, you either update your software to the newest version, or you stop using your machine.

I have sold three of my (formerly FIVE) PlasmaCam machines, two brand new GoTorch machines and one of my Samson 510 tables. At the beginning of this summer, I was completely FED UP with the company, and I did what I could to divest myself of it. Then the summer motorcycle tour put the other two table sales on hold until I returned.

Well, I have returned now, and I was considering once again trying to Make Money In Metal Art! but now THREE of my seats for my 510 table have suddenly had this same 'coinky-dink' corrupt settings file error on three different computers. You don't have to be Sherlock Holes to conclude that this is no accident.

It is like Star Trek and THE BORG. "You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!"

I WAS considering returning to my former idea of setting up a Bed-and-Breakfast School here at my home, to teach people how to get the most out of these machines and this software, but PlasmaCam just keeps giving me reasons to WALK AWAY.

Tomorrow I leave for FabTech 2019 in Chicago. It is the HUGE tech show at The McCormick Place. I will spend three days there looking at laser tables, CNC router tables, and 3D rapid prototyping machines, as well as 3D handheld scanners, and other things. If I see ANYTHING interesting, I will buy it, and my other two PlasmaCam tables (the 4x4 with the rail lift system, and the 510 with the Full Monty of software upgrades) will be put up FOR SALE on eBay to help pay for the new machine(s). My friend in Texas is ALSO selling his 510 table now. I expect I might see many more of them going up FOR SALE in the near future.

I DO like the DesignEdge software, and I even like using the DHC2 and the 510 tables, even with their quirks, ESPECIALLY when I use them as router tables, but I will not be OWNED AND CONTROLLED by a company that makes the products that I purchase.