Need Help! Wood router information

Thread: Wood router information

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wood router information

Looking for any information how to use my Plasma machine to cut wood, The little information PlasmaCam gave me was I should look for a type of rotozip, I have one (rotozip spiral saw scs01), but I need to know how I should go about fabricating this to my machine. Weird they don't provide this information, but they show it in their DVD.

Just need some basic insturctions/info.....Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, what is the thickness of wood to be used? Confused.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do wood with mine all the time! I just got the 3D program for my plasmacam, which is a pretty nifty thing.

Your are not limited to rotozip, because the one in their video is actually a Dewalt. That is the one I got. It is actually very simple to set your machine up to do wood. It not only costs very little, but you can actually use the plasmacam software to do this in. I personally use plasmacam's designEDGE, but I know of others that use plasmacam's 3.11 and can do it as well.

Here was my experience when I called about setting my machine up for wood:

1. They told me that they use a Dewalt, but any router will work.
    2. The mounting bracket is very easy to make, but there are brackets that are ready to order if you would like one.

Give one of the sales people at plamacam a call, because they can tell you exactly what you need.

At the end of the day, for me to set my machine up to do wood it cost me about $150 (including the router). Wow! That is a pretty good deal.

Thanks!

Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you I started to lose my mind.... :-/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What you actually want to use is called a "Trim Router" other types may be adapted to work but due to the smaller body of a trim router they are perfect for this application. I actually purchased a Bosch trim router with variable speed and a few other options. It has great specs and I have never had any issues with Bosch products. Dewalt is also a good choice just a matter of preference.
    I machined a pretty trick bolt on bracket out of solid aluminum pretty easily and it works great. If I decide to make more for others I would be glad to PM you.
    Good luck in any event...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaP View Post
    Looking for any information how to use my Plasma machine to cut wood, The little information PlasmaCam gave me was I should look for a type of rotozip, I have one (rotozip spiral saw scs01), but I need to know how I should go about fabricating this to my machine. Weird they don't provide this information, but they show it in their DVD.

Just need some basic insturctions/info.....Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Bosch router looks like a nice unit. Most people are using the Dewalt or Roto zip. The Dewalt is the one that I use. It is working out very nicely. I purchased it from Amazon.com

Here is the web link:
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW660-Cut-Out-Rotary-Collets/dp/B000051WQX/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1345473137&sr=8-10&keywords=dewalt++cut+off+tool]Amazon.com: DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM Rotary Tool with 1/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch Collets: Home Improvement

- Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the router was least of my worries.
    Where are the instructions for inserting a drawing?
    Do you scan picture into design edge 3d and it converts it for you to cut?
    If not, then what do you actually have to do to get picture imported to cut it as 3D?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    PS George had told me shortly after buying the 3D that a video was being made, but that's been 2 years ago!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So you do have the 3d part of designedge... correct? Because that feature came out just last year. If you open up your video manual, type: 3d path properties into the search and there is a tutorial on how to use this. Also, you will need to import an actual 3D file. Like a 3D bit map, 3d Dxf or stl file. You can't bring in a Jpeg off of the internet and expect it to have 3d properties.

When you find a 3d file, import it in just like you would a picture, highlight it and then go to the draw menu and then select 3D path properties. This will give you the elevations and pin point each node. Once this is specified, you can make a tool path and cut your 3d model out. Once you get the hang of it it is really easy.

If you have any issues, give Georgie a call.

Cheers!

Richard

Default Re: Wood router information

Do you know where I can get a bracket to hold the router. Plasmacam doesn't supply them any more. Or, could you build one for me?

Roger Smith

Downloads
    Uploads

hi dear friend,

about the cnc router machine,welcome to contact me more?
    we need know what products you make? how much size?

welcome to visit our website:
    www.cncrouterstar.com

www.routerstarcnc.en.alibaba.com
    info@cncrouterstar.com
    86-15866646109

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wood router information

I have used the PlasmaCam and Samson 510 tables extensively with routers.

PlasmaCam uses the DeWalt 660 trim router, but a better router is the DeWalt 611 or the Porter Cable size equivalent. I have also had great success mounting the Bosch 2.25HP router to the Samson table, using a custom mount designed by John Derby.

I actually enjoy using the DesignEdge software and Samson table MORE with a router than with a plasma cutter. The software is fairly capable, but it lacks a few features that would make it phenomenal. Still, you can do a LOT with a PlasmaCam, a router and the DesignEdge software.