Cnc plasma cutting machine

Thread: Cnc plasma cutting machine

Default Cnc plasma cutting machine

I'm new to cnc plasma cutting machine. I've dsp 501 to control it. I don't know how to configure dsp parameters. Including cutting speed for motors and how much ampere rating for torch i should use?. Can anabody help me to configure my dsp for cnc plasma cutting machine. And which software to use for drawing and then convert it into a format required for cnc plasma cutter?
    Waiting for reply?
    Cnc plasma cutting machine-uploadfromtaptalk1522159928540-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cnc plasma cutting machine

Your software that produces the gcode for your driver is where you input the cut speed etc. You need to check your plasma cutter manual for amperage and recommended speeds. Every model plasma cutter is different.
    You can use any cad program to draw your part. After the part is drawn, I would recommend sheetcam to produce your gcode/cut file. It will allow your to set your specifics, lead ins, lead outs, pierce delay, pierce height, cut height, nesting etc.

Unfortunately i don't have any manual with my plasma cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Your software that produces the gcode for your driver is where you input the cut speed etc. You need to check your plasma cutter manual for amperage and recommended speeds. Every model plasma cutter is different.
    You can use any cad program to draw your part. After the part is drawn, I would recommend sheetcam to produce your gcode/cut file. It will allow your to set your specifics, lead ins, lead outs, pierce delay, pierce height, cut height, nesting etc.
    I think cutting speed and current depends upon on material you are cutting so ideally it should be same for all machines. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm true could you please share your speed and current rating so that i can use them for my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Each machine will cut different based on the machine itself, amperage settings, air or gas used, tip type (regular or finecut) etc. One make of machine cut will not be exactly the same as another even if amperage is the same. If you have the make and model of your plasma cutter, you can most likely find the manual online or email the manufacturer. You can also do some test cuts and find the cut speed that gives you the best results. Even though I have a fairly popular model, I keep a notebook and keep track of material, amperage, cut speed results to remember what works and simplify the process when I change material etc.

My cnc does not have any make and model mentioned on it. If you dont mind please share your speed and current observations which you have noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad_Haroon View Post
    My cnc does not have any make and model mentioned on it. If you dont mind please share your speed and current observations which you have noted.
    And also i dont have any manuals of machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Muhammad,

I Googled for "cnc dsp 501" and got several hits including a pdf manual.

Also go to the Hypertherm website where you can download user manuals for various Hypertherm plasma cutters. As others have said, the current and speed settings will probably be different to your plasma cutter but may at least give you a starting point.

In the pictures you supplied it looks like you have no torch height control so your plate will need to be flat and perfectly parallel to the machines X and Y axis. If you intend on doing thinner sheet your cut speeds go up, and there is a much greater likelihood of material warping. Without a torch height control you could have big problems there.

Go on Forums like Plasmaspider to learn more about cnc plasma cutting.

There's plenty free 2D cad software out there - Draftsight, SolidEdge2D, etc. Just Google free 2D cad. Also Inkscape for more "arty" type drawing.

Sheetcam is a great 2.5D cam software for plasma cutting, routing, drilling, milling, etc. Not free but not too expensive either.

One thing I'd check is how fast this table can cut. The controller looks extremely basic and I get the impression this table was originally a router and may have been converted to plasma use. If so, does it have the speed and acceleration necessary for plasma cutting. A look at the Hypertherm plasma cutter manuals will give you an idea of how fast the machine needs to cut based on what thickness material is being cut and what nozzle is being used.

Personally I'd buy a complete electronics package dedicated to cnc plasma and retrofit the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Muhammad,

I Googled for "cnc dsp 501" and got several hits including a pdf manual.

Also go to the Hypertherm website where you can download user manuals for various Hypertherm plasma cutters. As others have said, the current and speed settings will probably be different to your plasma cutter but may at least give you a starting point.

In the pictures you supplied it looks like you have no torch height control so your plate will need to be flat and perfectly parallel to the machines X and Y axis. If you intend on doing thinner sheet your cut speeds go up, and there is a much greater likelihood of material warping. Without a torch height control you could have big problems there.

Go on Forums like Plasmaspider to learn more about cnc plasma cutting.

There's plenty free 2D cad software out there - Draftsight, SolidEdge2D, etc. Just Google free 2D cad. Also Inkscape for more "arty" type drawing.

Sheetcam is a great 2.5D cam software for plasma cutting, routing, drilling, milling, etc. Not free but not too expensive either.

One thing I'd check is how fast this table can cut. The controller looks extremely basic and I get the impression this table was originally a router and may have been converted to plasma use. If so, does it have the speed and acceleration necessary for plasma cutting. A look at the Hypertherm plasma cutter manuals will give you an idea of how fast the machine needs to cut based on what thickness material is being cut and what nozzle is being used.

Personally I'd buy a complete electronics package dedicated to cnc plasma and retrofit the table.
    Thanks Cnc plasma cutting machine