New Machine Build My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?

So its a 5x5 frame with a 42"x42" cutting field and the Z Axis has 6" of movement. I'm having a water pan being made thats 3" deep and I plan to use 3" angle iron for slats. I bought the gantry plates from an ebay store called precision plasma and the 4 axis controller/driver is model TB6560 from hubbard. The stepper motors are 311oz.

The plasma cutter is a 50amp power plasma from everlast that already has a cnc port on it for trigger and THC.

Here are some videos of it running:
    http://twitvid.com/UVBSR
    http://twitvid.com/0Z1OZ

So here are my questions:
    1. I'm getting good with the mach3 side of things and its running pretty well. I know lots of people have asked this before but I want to ask it again. Whats the easiest/shortest learning curve CAM software out there just for plasma. Also any good packages / training suggestions?

2. I'm not to familiar with plasma cutter parts and assemblies. I'm looking for a straight head/hose assembly for the cnc so i don't have an ugly handle hanging like so many others I've seen. Thoughts suggestions?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-1-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-2-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-3-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-4-jpg  

My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-5-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-6-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-7-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-8-jpg  

My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-9-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-10-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-11-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-12-jpg  

My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-13-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-14-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-15-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-16-jpg  

My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-17-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-18-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-19-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-20-jpg  

Last edited by crandolph; 01-04-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Adding some links.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think sheetcam is a great p program.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For the torch you will need a machine torch that you can only get from the manufactur of your plasma machine, I do not know of a universal torch, so if they dont offer it get used to the ugly handle
    As to CAMsheet cam is as cheap and easy as i have seenvery simple to use and has a lot of features they hav a great forum to help if needed
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First test

CNC plasma first run.*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziwuOb3fyA]Mach3 roadrunner test - YouTube

It seems to be running choppy. I used a parallel port amp from Hubbard and I found that the second X axis I have as a slave was lagging behind but it moved much smoother. So my next test is I have a new parallel port on order and hopefully that will help. I'm getting closer....

Now I have to figure out how to wire up my trigger for the plasma and figure out how to fire it with lazy cam or sheetcam.

I must admit I am enjoying the learning curve as a noob.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking good.

You have moved along quick with your build. Hats off to you on this. I would think that everlast would have a machine torch, if not yet they surely must have one in the works. Have you contacted the company? Really, lots of people are running the hand torch and seem to get along fine. I would consider an easy way to remove and install, as I am sure you will find times you would need just the hand torch for general use around the shop. I do have a question about how you mounted your racks, what kind of tape and where did you find it? I never had any luck coming up with it. I did it the hard way, bolted. Again, congrats on what you have done so far looks good. I am sure you are inspiring others to jump in on a build.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used 3M 03614 Scotch Mount tape to mount the gear, no bolts. After I mounted it I put a piece of 1x2 lumber over it and clamped it tight for the night to help it set firmly. Those rails are not going anywhere now. I also used aluminum for the travel arms so the gantry could move smoothly instead of steel that if i painted would make the movement not as smooth but I modified the mounting plate so i could bolt the aluminum on and not have to deal with welding anything but steel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My water pan was finished today

4'x4'x3" 18 gauge galvanized water pan made by a local metal shop (Since I don't have a giant bender) $175 and it looks good and ready for me to install slats in.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-492883962-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good work using the aluminum sq tube, i tried steel and it wasn't precise enough (Thickness varied along the tube). I switched to the V-rail version for that reason.

How did you wire up that CNC port?.....did you use candcnc?

--John

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, where the heck does everyone get those plastic wire guide things that "roll up" as the gantry moves?!

--John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't wired up the CNC port yet but I'm planning on running it for awhile just using the trigger then maybe using candc THC later.

For your cable management its called a drag chain or cable carrier. McMaster carries them but they are very expensive. Check ebay and you can find it much cheaper. One good rule I've learned from drag chains so far is get bigger than you think you need.

For example lets say I'm running 4 Cat5 cables with each cable having a 1/4" diameter size. You would assume I only need a drag chain 1/4" tall by 1" wide. I would double what ever you guess is because the cables need plenty of room to flex inside. Also you can run the drag chain from the center of your axis because that will cover the whole axis when it flexes. They do have a bend radius to look at (if you can find it) So in my case I have 4ft of total travel and my drag chain is 3ft long (1ft for the bend)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
    Also, where the heck does everyone get those plastic wire guide things that "roll up" as the gantry moves?!

--John
    Try here IGUS chain | eBay

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

a few mini vans use cable carriers in there sliding side door auto wreckers almost give them away around here anyway

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'm going to give up on getting a straight torch that will work with my Everlast Power Plasma 50.
    I'm going on 3 weeks now and I can't seem to get any complete answers from anyone.
    I can't get a price, availability or compatibility response from anyone.
    I have gotten partial part numbers but no information or manufacturers on it and Google doesn't bring up the part numbers for me to look at them.
    I have gotten a rough price but no part number and I'm told the part number is different than the one from the rough price.

If anyone ever reads this and can actually sell me a complete straight plasma torch assembly that includes the central connector and cable and torch head that will work with an Everlast Power Plasma 50 please let me know.

I would love to give my money to someone who can say:
    "Dear David: Thank you for contacting us.
    A straight handle CNC style torch model #### with a ##ft cable and a connector that will work out of the box with your power plasma 50 will cost $###.## with S&H & Tax.
    It can arrive on or around ##/##/2012.
    Here is a picture, brochure or link of the Torch model ####
    You can call ###-###-#### to use a credit card over the phone or paypal a payment to #####@#########.com"

If I got that type of sales response I would be able to give someone my money.
    Sadly I have not been able to get a complete response yet. Only partial.
    I think its time to start machining a holder for my curved handle torch because there doesn't appear to be anyone who can answer the question.

I will keep everyone informed of the progress of the project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Water Bed Update

So I finished welding up the racks to hold slates for the waterbed and installed a drain. The pan is 3" deep. The rails are 1" sq tube with 1" welding tabs to hold the slates and then the slates are 2" tall. So they don't touch the bottom of the waterbed and don't get crud in all over them and its cheap to replaced worn out ones.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-drain-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-drain2-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-empty-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-rails-jpg  

My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-top-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-water-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Figured out how to wire up the plasma

So I'm not using anything fancy like THC yet but my everlast power plasma 50 does have a CNC port and I've wired up pin 1+2 to my output #1 on mach3 and it fires just fine. Which means at this point I've finished all the initial goals for this project and I'm onto learning the software. Once I figure out the software and get some good cuts I'll get back to modifying it and adding in THC to the project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgLfcWvsyI]Mach3 CNC Plasma test fire with 360 controller - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PP50 Performance

Very nice machine. I have built one also using the same pieces for the gantry. I have finally got everything working but unfortunately I have a PP 60 that is throwing off too much EMF. How do you like that PP50? I am thinking of trying to sell my PP 60 and get one of those.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't done enough with the machine to have an opinion about EMF yet but I would suspect that both machines would suffer from the same effects with the PP50 being less only because of lower power levels. But I'll let everyone know how it works out with time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The difference is that the PP50 does not use the high frequency start like the PP60. I don't know what other EMF noise may be thrown out by the guts of the machine, that was the reason for my question. I had heard about the EMF concerns but it was until finishing the CNC portion of the machine and marrying to controller to the plasma cutter that it became evident.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

crandolph,
    enjoying your Plasma CNC progress so far...

About your Everlast Plasma...you were looking for someone to deal with...I read a forum over at tractorbynet.com and Mark @ Everlast is usually posting in the welding section. You may want to deal with him if you need anything for your Everlast Plasma cutter.

Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    Welders, Plasma Cutters, Welder, Arc Tig Mig Welding Equipment, Welding Accessories, Consumables, Diesel Generators

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

Hope you get your Plasma table finished soon!

~Nate

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm putting on the finishing touched to rev1

I'm really close to running my first job on the machine. I've been learning sheetcam and its not bad. I've also been trying out DragonCNC as well and it looks interesting and simple. I've been sick for the week but I had enough energy to work on the electronics box. Basically I just built a wooden box and installed some power switches and outlets to simplify things. 2 switches / 4 plugs each. 1 switch is for the computer side, the other is for compressor and motors. I also painted the slates so they wouldn't rust as fast next time i replace the slates I think i will just go with galvanized.

But I did run into a problem and I'm looking for advice. It seems that my steppers jerk when they change direction. I have a video showing how it jerks at certain points of drawing a circle. I would love to smooth that out if possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cDu1ZQw4E]Cnc plasma test - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-photo-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-photo-1-jpg   My first CNC machine. How am I doing and help?-photo-2-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast