Construction of a CN lathe - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Construction of a CN lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Construction of a CN lathe

OK, thanks, your answer helped me.

In fact I had only selected the lathe preset. With this preset, it is impossible to have the views perfectly oriented. On the other hand, by selecting the normal preset, and by assigning a rotation of 180° around X and 90° around Y, the display is perfect.

For the display of the X up, my turret is in the up position. So my X+ upwards like the physical machine.

For cycles, like roughing cycles, it's not a priority as you say. I would prefer to work on the tool table with the management of radius compensation G41/G42 when you have time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone,

The machine begins to make its first shavings. At the same time, I am moving forward on the adjustment of the tool gauges and the implementation of advances in mm/rev (which are currently poorly synchronized).
    I have a question, maybe stupid but I can't find the solution.

When I use G43 calls after changing tools, all my toolpaths are offset by the values of the X and Z gauges in the 3D viewport.
    So for an X0, I see it at X85 on the 3D window.
    If I ignore the G43, everything becomes correct again.

Any idea on my bad configuration?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-pb-g43-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to build a similar CNC lathe like that. The spindle I'm using is 80ST-M02430 750W servo. I'm trying to connect the dir and pul of the servo to the board and use it as A axis on the lathe. I encountered the following problems:
    1. The A axis command is working, however, the spindle is not rotate smoothly and has jittered rotation especially at low rpm. I've tried a lot of setting in the servo controller and still not solved.
    2. Whenever I use the servo in A axis mode, the controller seems more frequently get timeout issue. The interface also sometimes show machine is running and could not be stopped even the spindle is already stopped.
    3. The software seems does not accept G3 I J K gcode when there is arc representation in the lathe gcode. It gives the error shown in attached picture.
    The controller I use the the MK2 and the original software. Hope anyone with similar issues could help with the questions. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-error-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

ui3DToolpathShowToolOffset setting needs to be set to 1.
    Unfortunately default is 0 by mistake.

Downloads
    Uploads

No matter how hard I search, I can't find the ui3DToolpathShowToolOffset parameter.
    How can we modify it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Close TNG
    Open settings.settings file with notepad
    Find ui3DToolpathShowToolOffset
    Set its value to 1
    Save file
    Start TNG and test g-code with tool offset

Downloads
    Uploads

On my test PC, this has no effect.
    I'm going to try later, on the PC that controls my machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Make sure you use latest version

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, I am on the latest version.
    On the PC of the machines, everything is OK.
    I go back to the test PC and everything is good without even putting the settings of the production PC back. It's the weekend, I must be tired :-).
    Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I noticed that a new version was online.
    I switched to ZX cross. On the other hand, given that I have my X+ towards the back of the machine, the arrows are reversed, when I click on the down arrow, the tool goes up in X and vice versa.
    It's a good start.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

I'm a newbe in cnc lathe, but I have done a conversation of a regular mill to a cnc mill 4 years a go.
    Now I like to do this with my regular lathe also. But one show stopper is, that I don't know is it possible to connect to hand wheel encoders or not.
    Is there a way to do this? Is it possible to move Z and X axis at the same time? Is it possible to disable the use of the wheels when the lathe is moving with code?
    If it is possible, is there a manual how to do this? I have read that it is may be possible to do this with arduino. Is this so and how to do it?

Yes I know, this are a lot of questions, but befor I start to buy components I have to get answers.

Thanks all for any answers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

At the start, I wanted to install on my lathe 1 wheel per axis. PlanetCNC should confirm it to us, but there is only one input for the pulses. so it becomes difficult to make every case to manage the 2 axes at the same time between the X+, X-, Z+ and Z-.
    In my case, I finally preferred to install buttons to do the Jog directly on the saddle of the lathe. By default, they are in step, I have to press a button for continuous jog. a potentiometer manages the speed of the jog, so I can choose one or two axes to move and in the desired direction. Another ON/OFF button makes it possible not to power them.
    For using an arduino, I don't know. I avoid using it because I fear latency in response times. TNG can already do a lot of functions on its own.

For PlanetCNC, in case this discussion has hidden my remark on the possibility of inverting the inversion of the cross of the jog in X by a parameter, please reread 2 posts earlier.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-pupitre-trainard-jpg  
    Last edited by Steler; 01-15-2023 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Ajout d'une image

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone,

The lathe is progressing little at the moment. I almost finished the tailstock after making 2 parts (the alignment adjustment nut and the worm that drives the sheath). I'm waiting for a crank to fit it.

I'm starting to think about tool gauges. I was thinking of integrating a camera on a retractable arm. So by knowing its position and using the camera target in TNG to place the tools in the right place, I could calculate the In X and Z gauges.
    3 questions:
    - Do I need a specific USB camera or can I choose any model? I would go with a small endoscope camera with good resolution. If not, what model would you suggest?
    - Can we modify the pattern of the camera to have a target (horizontal and vertical lines) traversing the whole image?
    - do you think this usage will be accurate enough?

best regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Construction of a CNC lathe - well done

Excellent thread.
    First proper lathe refit - advanced - I have seen in 15 years.

Extremely Well Done - original poster !
    And Planet CNC.

So Planet CNC have done very well to keep up and keep developing the stuff.

For others ...
    It´s extremely complex to properly interpret / process gcode for a lathe, especially when tools (with offsets), toolposts, work offsets, and toolchangers get involved.
    And there is usually no "right" way to process the code or display it, necessarily.
    What works well in radius mode might fail in diameter, likewise for metric/imperial.

And cutting from the front vs the back, or with counterclockwise rotation, and getting clearance moves inside deep bores, and back boring ..
    And exact stop vs CSS constant surface speed in radial moves for example.
    And theres about a gazillion sanity checks, because what wont matter in metric like 0.1 mm extra clearance in metric (0.1 mm tool clearance in a bore, say) -- in imperial 0.1 inches with 3 mm tool snaps the tools in the bores.

There is often excellent commercial reason to approach a lathe (4 axis, c) job in a particular way.
    Like broaching a hole in a nut using a static tool and rotating the spindle, c axis rotation.

Real example. We made the sample parts (At HAAS Spain, Hitec, I ran the commercial part at the time). Customer was very surprised with the high quality parts.

Or endless spindle or hydraulic parts with weird R radius tolerances, inside bores, inside backbores (means You bore inside the bore, blind, towards the outside.).

My favourite is threading, to astronomical quality.
    I´ve been working at it for 15 years ..
    I want to thread at 0.1 rpm (0.nn) towards or away from the chuck, and taper the thread at the end, first doing normal threading then grinding and hard lapping.

And then add, ideally, secondary feedback from glass scales and program feedback to adjust for those errors, dynamically or as secondary ops.
    Current mechnicals are about 1 micron real world resolution and repeatability, 0.5 micron theoretical.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for this encouragement,

It is true that Planet CNC is very attentive to our requests and I am sure we will be able to refine the turning part to get closer to professional CNC.

I go at the rate of time that my professional work leaves me. The target, in the first instance, is to have an operational 2-axis lathe with the turret as a little extra.
    I should finish my tailstock next weekend. I would then sell on the realization of the gauges with a camera.

The next steps will be:
    - Configure the feeds per revolution, the synchronizations of the spindle with the linear axes, in order to start making threads.
    - Realization of protections, at least on the back of the machine.
    - Continue the reflection on the C axis.
    - Add a location at the front for rotating tools.
    - And why not think about a Y axis, see a B axis for gear cutting with a hob. The problem will be to integrate this function on a relatively small machine.

If I can, I will provide a video as soon as the final settings are correct.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just received the camera, the announced magnification ranges from 50 to 1600x. You will find a first test by holding the camera in your hand.
    For information, the point displayed is about 0.2mm on the side.

The focusing distance is about 2mm compared to the transaparent protection. With this information, I will be able to finish the design of its support.

1) Planet CNC had not replied to me to a previous post on the possibility of modifying or setting the pattern displayed for the camera. to make tangencies, a horizontal and a vertical line would be more practical for wedging a tool.
    We could even imagine several models that we could select according to the need (measurement of tool, part, etc...).

2) Another thing, I just downloaded the 02/20/2023 version. The View/Show menu contains fewer options than before. Is this normal?

Good day to all

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-test-camera-jpg   Construction of a CN lathe-camera-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

1. I'm not exactly sure what you want.
    2. there were just to many thing to show/hide. All details are now set in settings, in show menu you show/hide entire group. I love this new way. It should be done ages ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

1) Something like the image below. Or have the possibility of making your own background.

2) Ok, I found it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-exemple-mire-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You can change circle radius with slider. This can be also used for measuring.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, but there is no possibility to display vertical and horizontal lines for example like the images below.
    Displaying solid lines can improve approaches.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Construction of a CN lathe-current-slider-jpg   Construction of a CN lathe-proposal-01-jpg   Construction of a CN lathe-proposal-02-jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast