Script Wiki?

Thread: Script Wiki?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Script Wiki?

Any plans to add a wiki, or similar feature, for sharing useful and creative TNG2 scripts? This could really unlock the true potential of this software for each user. Perhaps this could be added as a new category within this same forum.

A Wiki such as this could be beneficial for script authors and users; users could offer use-based feedback to authors, and together, this effort would lead to increased flexibility, features and overall script usability.

From my perspective, the real power of TNG2 is the potential to customize the software to each user’s unique situation . . . using scripts.

There have been multiple instances where a forum participant has developed a script that they were willing to offer freely for benefit of other users. This type of interaction could benefit the TNG2 user community as a whole.

Is this a possibility?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Script Wiki?

Sounds like a very good idea.

I have a bunch of modified/extended scripts that might be of interest to other people.
    Up to now I never published them, primarily as I'm not sure about what kind of license needs to be included as they are partly based on the original TNG2 scripts and on the other hand I never had a place in the internet to do this (Github would have been my goto but this would have a somewhat limited range)

Best Regards,
    Klaus

Downloads
    Uploads

As I got a few question if I would like to share my profile settings and script I reached out to PlanetCNC for clarifying the license issue. They are OK with publishing custom code based on the original scripts and did not request to include any kind of license.

So I decided to upload my complete Profile to GitHub:
    To anyone interested, feel free to have a look:
    https://github.com/Klaus-Michael/PlanetCNC_KMS_Stuff

Klaus ... thanks for taking the lead on this .... very cool. Should we start our own blog? We could get it hosted on our own, have a group of members manage the content and even invite PlanetCNC to participate where they see fit. Be great to create a platform that allows users to solve their particular issues or achieve whatever capabilities they desire thru community participation.

Thanks for sharing your work, Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Klaus!
    This is awsome! I am Impressed, because I am not an "code" guy.... Have a lot of whishess but no knowlege for programing.
    Keep on going.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionTDL View Post
    As I got a few question if I would like to share my profile settings and script I reached out to PlanetCNC for clarifying the license issue. They are OK with publishing custom code based on the original scripts and did not request to include any kind of license.

So I decided to upload my complete Profile to GitHub:
    To anyone interested, feel free to have a look:
    https://github.com/Klaus-Michael/PlanetCNC_KMS_Stuff
    Klaus:

Thanks for providing your extremely useful scripts.

I do not have any form of programming skills, or knowledge, so your scripts will be extremely helpful to me. It also appears that other users will find them equally beneficial, as well.

I should be able to use your scripts as a template, and then (perhaps) be able to make some minor modifications to help further customize each script to satisfy my exact requirements.

Excellent work.

Thanks again for your generous contribution!

- Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for the kind words.
    However please don't overestimate my contribution. I mainly extended the scripts provided by PlanetCNC with some additions that I find useful.
    While I have some programming background due to working in the IT industry I'm fairly new to GCODE programming.
    Personally I think understanding GCODE is much more important than having extensive programming skills when one wants to modify the scripts. The original scripts, together with the examples from the installation directory and the GCODE pdf document are you best sources of information if you want to get deeper into programming PlanetCNC.
    And most important: Test everything in Simulation mode first and with single step activated on the Machine next ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you ScorpionTDL. A really appreciate your effort.

Many times I wonder, why more users don't use these capabilities. As mentioned - the key is understanding g-code. And this is first step that you need to do if you want to make useful scripts.
    I'm here to help you all.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Thank you ScorpionTDL. A really appreciate your effort.

Many times I wonder, why more users don't use these capabilities. As mentioned - the key is understanding g-code. And this is first step that you need to do if you want to make useful scripts.
    I'm here to help you all.
    I have been contracted to develop numerous scripts for a multitude of purposes and therefore I cannot make them available. If we where to take it a step further and set up a blog I will gladly contribute my expertise. Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

I think GitHub would work fine for the hosting side. With the push/pull system basically everyone can contribute and having a "core" team who maintains the main repository would ensure some kind of "quality control"
    This seems to work well for a lot of other projects and offers everything one would need from a software development point of view and in addition a good hosting service with no cost and a good web interface.
    The main question would be who is the main owner of this repository.
    Personally I would be fine with creating one on my account and maintain it as long as I'm having some kind of interest in PlanetCNC. However looking at past engagement my interests seem to switch every 5 to 7 years, so it might be beneficial if someone with a more long term investment into PlanetCNC would be the main Owner.

I think the main hurdle for programming scripts in planet cnc is indeed the documentation. While there is some basic information out there it seems to be quiet scattered and especially the basic stuff is not very entry level friendly. For example looking at the expressions functions: while there is a long list of available functions there is no explanation given for any of them. For someone who is not coming from a programming background its quiet hard to understand what is doing what, and in addition there is no syntax given.