Laser engraving module

Thread: Laser engraving module

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser engraving module

Hello everyone!

Maybe some of you have already tried yet, so I will ask. I would like to connect some kind of Laser module (eg https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H6f3913cf...b104d0059y.jpg) to MK3/4 + Rpi + TNGv2. There is only information, that can be controlled via "Interface Parameter: Support TTL signal controls power ". From the picture I can see, +12V, GND and PWM signal. I guess, that PWM is used for controlling, but without any info about parameters, like voltage or min-max duty cycle.

So, is to possible to somehow connect this laser to board? I mean, something like button/ Gcode Mx to really control the "power" via Gcode.

Thanks,
    Andy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser engraving module

Hi,

I did that just a few days ago. Using a Neje 20W (so "real" 5.5W) module, connected to output 2. I have a MK3 here, so it might be slightly different: connected +12V to +12V of controller's power supply, GND to Ground and the TTL/PWM of the laser to Output 2.
    Then you can control the Laser independent of a spindle using M63 with P (should be 2), Q (usually 1000 to 8000 for the lasers I found) and E (percentage). This is planned to be used with the Vectric Laser module, for which I'll have to create a laser post-processor.

Once finished, this should allow to combine CNC and Laser in a single process, even for not-plain-areas...

Settings in the TNG Controller Software should not be required, as the M63 command sets all parameters.

Best regards from Austria,

Gerhard

Edit: forgot to mention, the Neje Laser was specified to work with PWM between 3 and 12V, I'd assume this is quite common.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can mount laser next to spindle and use it as special tool. Tool table allows setting for X and Y offset. There is also option to "Skip Tool Measure" and "Skip Tool Change" exactly for configurations like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gachrainer View Post
    Hi,

Then you can control the Laser independent of a spindle using M63 with P (should be 2), Q (usually 1000 to 8000 for the lasers I found) and E (percentage). This is planned to be used with the Vectric Laser module, for which I'll have to create a laser post-processor.
    Hello,
    Thank you for these information.
    Where did you get the information about P, Q and E. I would like to know what I'm setting.

Are you going to share this post-processor? I want to see what's going on.

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

these are the sources for the information posted:
    - PWM frequency: laser_module_308020w | NEJE Wiki (... 1. The third yellow interface line is the TTL control line, the voltage range is 3.3-12V, the frequency is 0-20KHz, and it needs to be grounded.)
    - M63 can be found in the Planet CNC GCode documentation "PlanetCNC_TNG_GCode.pdf", which can be found in the install dir (... M63 - Output PWM, P = output number, Q = frequency, E = duty cycle (0% - 100%))

I'm still working on Vectric and Estlcam postprocessors for CNC machining with tool change (the CNC is just about finished and we're still testing, i.e. correct acceleration values with the targeted 15-20m/min and ATC). When I'm done with that, we'll finish the laser add-on and the additional post processor for the laser.

I'd be happy to share the postprocessors, but this will take a bit of time. I'll try to keep you updated here.

Gerhard

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Looks promising..., another question is, how to setup the laser. Means, which "duty" number is corresponding to which speed/material thickness. Is like look-up table?

Regards,
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Deklos View Post
    Hi,

Looks promising..., another question is, how to setup the laser. Means, which "duty" number is corresponding to which speed/material thickness. Is like look-up table?

Regards,
    Andy
    Hello Gerhard!

Did you have any chance to take a look on it? I'm still hesitating to buy it, because I want to be sure, that it will work .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Deklos,

there is no lookup, the duty number is just the percentage of power output from your laser. For these kind of diode lasers (as opposed to CO/2 lasers, which are a way more powerful), you will bei in the range of 1000-3000 mm/min feed speed while having the laser in the range of 30-100% output, but it all depends on the material you are using.

The post-processor for the Vecrtic Laser Add-on was just a breeze to create, I can provide it any time if needed.

Today, we finished the laser add-on for our CNC, including some videos that we took. It will be available later, I'll update you here.

Gerhard

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Deklos,

there is no lookup, the duty number is just the percentage of power output from your laser. For these kind of diode lasers (as opposed to CO/2 lasers, which are a way more powerful), you will bei in the range of 1000-3000 mm/min feed speed while having the laser in the range of 30-100% output, but it all depends on the material you are using.

The post-processor for the Vecrtic Laser Add-on was just a breeze to create, I can provide it any time if needed.

Today, we finished the laser add-on for our CNC, including some videos that we took. It will be available later, I'll update you here.

Gerhard
    Hi Gerhard

Is it possible for you to make the post-processor for the Vectric Laser Add-on available?

Best regards from South Africa

Dawie Burger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Deklos,

Gerhard
    Can you provide this post processor ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Deklos,

Gerhard
    Can you provide this post processor ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again,
    I know that's little bit late, but maybe I found an usable why. I switched to Lightburn, where just export an Gcode and then put it into planetcnc. Is there a better way to do it?