Need help identifying a control board. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help identifying a control board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help identifying a control board.

yes I am looking at the motion controllers 26 pin header

with a ribbon cable with a 26 way connector at one end and a DB25 at the other
    replicates a PC parallel printer port the JP-3163B stepper driver boards designed to work with

I assume the 26 pin header labels are the default functions assigned to the pins

looking at the JP-3163B stepper driver board diagram showing the functions for the DB25 pins
    while most pins are OK when connected to corresponding pin on the 26 pin header
    ( 2 to 2 , 3 to 3 , 4 to 4 etc.)

some need re assigning in software if possible or wiring according to function not number

pin 1 on the JP-3163B board controls the spindle relay
    looking at the mk3/4 motion control header 3 outputs pin 14 = OUT6 , pin 16 = OUT1 , pin 17 = OUT 2
    are possible outputs to use

looking at the JP-3163B
    DB25 pin 14 has two possible functions depending on the position of jumper J2

1) motor enable to connect to the motion control header pin 1 or
    2) relay 2 control connect to one of the 3 outputs pin 14 = OUT6 , pin 16 = OUT1 , pin 17 = OUT 2 you have not already used

assuming you have to use pin 10 on the 26 pin header as the E-stop

and you connect like input pins on the motion control to the JP-3163B input pins

motion control ….................JP-3163B

10 E-stop…...............................10
    11...............................................1 1
    12...............................................1 2
    13...............................................1 3
    15...............................................1 5

you will need to use the input terminal for pin 10 on the JP-3163B board as the E-stop
    not pin 15 as shown on the JP-3163B board diagram

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help identifying a control board.

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    yes I am looking at the motion controllers 26 pin header

with a ribbon cable with a 26 way connector at one end and a DB25 at the other
    replicates a PC parallel printer port the JP-3163B stepper driver boards designed to work with

I assume the 26 pin header labels are the default functions assigned to the pins

looking at the JP-3163B stepper driver board diagram showing the functions for the DB25 pins
    while most pins are OK when connected to corresponding pin on the 26 pin header
    ( 2 to 2 , 3 to 3 , 4 to 4 etc.)

some need re assigning in software if possible or wiring according to function not number

pin 1 on the JP-3163B board controls the spindle relay
    looking at the mk3/4 motion control header 3 outputs pin 14 = OUT6 , pin 16 = OUT1 , pin 17 = OUT 2
    are possible outputs to use

looking at the JP-3163B
    DB25 pin 14 has two possible functions depending on the position of jumper J2

1) motor enable to connect to the motion control header pin 1 or
    2) relay 2 control connect to one of the 3 outputs pin 14 = OUT6 , pin 16 = OUT1 , pin 17 = OUT 2 you have not already used

assuming you have to use pin 10 on the 26 pin header as the E-stop

and you connect like input pins on the motion control to the JP-3163B input pins

motion control ….................JP-3163B

10 E-stop…...............................10
    11...............................................1 1
    12...............................................1 2
    13...............................................1 3
    15...............................................1 5

you will need to use the input terminal for pin 10 on the JP-3163B board as the E-stop
    not pin 15 as shown on the JP-3163B board diagram

John
    See, this is why I wish I would have been able to go with a different company than planet cnc. I should have known from the start when they didn't have a phone number and it took months of correspondence with them, only to get the wrong parts that they where going to be no help.

You have been extremely helpful but your last post I'm more confused than I was before.

You keep referring to a cable I don't have and a header pin I'm not using so I'm not sure what to do.

Planet cnc won't even answer my texts. They said this was what I needed and this would do the job but provided no support other than a PDF file. That is very vague. Why they would sell me this board instead of the one with the integrated drivers especially when they knew the board I was replacing had integrated drivers is beyond me.

The sad part is I shouldn't have to rely on people on a forum to help me because the manufacturer won't. I am very thankful to you John for helping me I really am. But isn't there something out there that describes how to do this because I have yet to be able to use a machine I got almost four months ago that I spent over a thousand dollars on and then spent hundreds more for essentially a part that comes with no help from the manufacturer that I'm supposed to hook up to a machine that had no documentation on how to hook it up. This should be relatively straight forward. Hook this wire here that terminal there. It shouldn't be this hard or confusing. I'm getting so frustrated right now it's not even funny. I have never dealt with a company that is so bad at customer service as planet cnc. Especially when the company is supposed to be one of the better companies.

I really don't even know what to do any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

is this what your looking for ?

re arranged to use 26 way header connections via the screw terminal block
    Need help identifying a control board.-mk3-4-plus-jp-3163b-jpg

John

Downloads
    Uploads

John
    Thank you so much. Yes that's what I was looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads

John
    This helped immensely, but I have a couple of questions left and I should be fine after that.

Ok at first I thought when I was looking at this diagram,

I thought I was looking at the pin out for what I was looking at on the board. Not what I was looking at on the cord (serial cable metal end). But I just looked at the other end (blue) of the serial cable (that I had cut off) and noticed it was numbered.

And the number one is on the right and moves left to thirteen then fourteen is to the right and the numbers go left to twenty five.

Does this mean that the metal end (end I'm using to plug into board) starts on left and goes right like this

or is the diagram showing the board itself and it should be wired like this

I'm assuming that when looking at the metal end number 1 pin is to the left top and 14 is to the left bottom. Is that correct.

Second thing is the jumper. In all the diagrams I've seen it has the board with three jumpers, but my board has four

I'm guessing the second one down is number two but not sure. The only thing I know for sure is the top one is the 5v which would be jp1 in all the diagrams. Also do I want the jumper set to 1/2(trigger second relay from software) as it is set right now, or do I want to change it and set it to 2/3(enable/disable from software)

Thank you for all your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

the first 3 photos are correct
    the 25 pin DB25 pin out is like this

Need help identifying a control board.-25-pin-d-sub-male-connector-jpg

very often have the pin numbers molded into the connector

I am not sure about the enable / relay 2 jumper

this photo shows the jumper
    Need help identifying a control board.-jp-3163b-jpg
    but is another version to the 4th photo in post 25

Need help identifying a control board.-jp-3163b-later-version-jpg

depending what components are on the underside of the JP-3163B PCB

you may find pin 14 of the boards DB25 connector is connected to the middle pin on the jumper your looking for
    (a photo of the PCB tracks could help)

John

Downloads
    Uploads

the first 3 photos are correct
    the 25 pin DB25 pin out is like this

Need help identifying a control board.-25-pin-d-sub-male-connector-jpg

very often have the pin numbers molded into the connector

I am not sure about the enable / relay 2 jumper

this photo shows the jumper
    Need help identifying a control board.-jp-3163b-jpg
    but is another version to the 4th photo in post 25

Need help identifying a control board.-jp-3163b-later-version-jpg

depending what components are on the underside of the JP-3163B PCB

you may find pin 14 of the boards DB25 connector is connected to the middle pin on the jumper your looking for
    (a photo of the PCB tracks could help)

John
    Ok I have all the wires from the serial cable hooked to the board except 16 and the bare wire. I used a continuity tester on every bolt connection to the pin have good contacts.

I can't look at the bottom of the jp board cause it is glued to a heat sink from the under side. I was able to take this picture of the board from the top but dont see any connections going to the jumper.

I tested continuity between the jumpers and every pin on the serial connection and none of them have continuity to the jumpers.

If I don't set the jumper correctly will it fry the board, or will it just make it not respond correctly? If I'm reading the diagram correctly it just is for controlling spindle speed, correct? If that's the case my spindle isn't controlled by the computer anyway so it should be fine correct?

Also I got a power supply when I bought this board. Do I need to hook it up to the mk3/4 or can I use an open connection on the existing power supply?

********************Edit*********************

I just realised this isn't a normal power supply.

It says on the box is a switching supply but there is no place to plug a cord into it. It also has a potentiometer to adjust the power I would assume. How exactly does it get hooked up? Do I hook the original power supply to this then this to the mk3/4 board? If so, how?

There is no documentation with it.

Last edited by cammel8; 04-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

with no continuity between the DB25 connector and the jumpers implies there must be other components hidden under the board

jumper 1 marked 5V selects the onboard or external +5V supply used for the E-stop and limit switches

if its jumper 2 on both versions of the board

with the jumper in the wrong position it is not going to respond the way you want but should not do any damage
    then in one position pin 14 will control relay 2 with the stepper drivers permanently enabled

in the other position pin 14 will enable or disable the stepper drivers
    with the stepper drivers disabled the motor shafts will be easy to turn by hand

jumper 3 must be in the correct position as it either connects a 5V supply to the logic side of the board or
    12V / 24V presumably via an onboard regulator

I'll have another web search to see if there is any translations

john

Downloads
    Uploads

found this web site

https://hackaday.io/project/2439-dc-...nel-schematics

and this photo

Need help identifying a control board.-20150127_191156_9dd4380-jpg

john

Downloads
    Uploads

with no continuity between the DB25 connector and the jumpers implies there must be other components hidden under the board

jumper 1 marked 5V selects the onboard or external +5V supply used for the E-stop and limit switches

if its jumper 2 on both versions of the board

with the jumper in the wrong position it is not going to respond the way you want but should not do any damage
    then in one position pin 14 will control relay 2 with the stepper drivers permanently enabled

in the other position pin 14 will enable or disable the stepper drivers
    with the stepper drivers disabled the motor shafts will be easy to turn by hand

jumper 3 must be in the correct position as it either connects a 5V supply to the logic side of the board or
    12V / 24V presumably via an onboard regulator

I'll have another web search to see if there is any translations

john
    Ok, so basically since the board was working before, with the jumpers the way they are, and the power supply attached the way it is, and it seems like jp2 controls spindle and the spindle isn't hooked to the board (i have a separate vfw that is connected to spindle) if I leave the jumpers set the way they are now, I should be fine correct? Jp3 should already be set correctly because I haven't attached or detached any power from the board, nor moved the jumpers, so it should already be set correctly to work with the way the board was originally wired? Is that a correct assumption?

Also what do I do about the new board and this weird power supply with no cord or documentation?

Downloads
    Uploads

the power supply is easy

the Meanwell RS-15-12 powersupply is intended to be used as a component inside a piece of equipment like your control box

you have three screw terminals (1 to 3) for you to connect the mains supply and
    two (4&5) for the 12V DC output

Meanwell RS-15_spec_2 pdf data sheet
    Meanwell RS-15_spec_2.pdf

the larger S-250-24 power supply has 9 screw terminals 3 for the mains supply and 6 for the 24V DC output
    S-250-24 pdf data
    Meanwell s-250-24.pdf

I assume you bought the Meanwell RS-15-12 to power the Planetcnc motoin control board

while the motion control DC in is marked 8-24V
    I would connect it to the 12V dc output of the Meanwell RS-15_12 supply
    instead of pushing it to its limit using the 24V output from the S-250-24

john

Last edited by john-100; 04-08-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add ref to using 12V power supply

Downloads
    Uploads

the power supply is easy

the Meanwell RS-15-12 powersupply is intended to be used as a component inside a piece of equipment like your control box

you have three screw terminals (1 to 3) for you to connect the mains supply and
    two (4&5) for the 12V DC output

Meanwell RS-15_spec_2 pdf data sheet
    Meanwell RS-15_spec_2.pdf

the larger S-250-24 power supply has 9 screw terminals 3 for the mains supply and 6 for the 24V DC output
    S-250-24 pdf data
    Meanwell s-250-24.pdf

I assume you bought the Meanwell RS-15-12 to power the Planetcnc motoin control board

while the motion control DC in is marked 8-24V
    I would connect it to the 12V dc output of the Meanwell RS-15_12 supply
    instead of pushing it to its limit using the 24V output from the S-250-24

john
    Ok sorry about the long delay, had a family emergency and could not work on this but now I'm back. I got the board set up the way you said I got power supply hooked up. I have it hooked to a computer and it's not working.

I imported the settings from cnc usb. When I go to settings connection on tng-cnc under primary controller, it says simulating but has usb, planetcnc mk3/4, serial 1***1 (doesn't have stars but actually lists the serial number) I double click it, and then shut settings and it greys out all of my controls. I hit emergency stop button like I do in simulation mode, but they remain greyed out.

<edit>: I went to settings and in control I inverted the e stop pin and now they buttons are no longer greyed out, but it still does nothing when I click them. The numbers change as if it where moving but nothing moves. </edit>

The lights are as follows
    power = green, solid
    data = red, solid
    link = red, blinking
    status = red, blinking

If I disconnect the parallel cord and put bypass the mk3/4 board it works exactly the way it used to.

I'm sure it's probably a setting that is incorrect but where do I look?

Last edited by cammel8; 04-30-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12