Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move

Thread: Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move

Hello,

I have finished building my Routakit SDX, the PlanetCNC boards are all wired and led lights are showing they all work. I've downloaded PlanetCNC TNG with updated drivers and firmware. My limit switches are triggered they are showing up in the software. The motors are locked, but there is no noise coming from them. The Estop light is red and can be toggled, but all other "Move to" buttons are greyed. The Jog area is greyed and when I push on the arrows no movement. I have put all of the configuration data into the software settings that Routakit gives in the instructions, although I am new all this and might not have entered everything correctly.

I saw in another post that someone with this problem was advised to change the Motor Steps and Amps. They are greyed out and I am unable to change either of these areas. Right now they are set at the default of 1/8 and .5A.

Thanks for any help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move

Do you have controller set as primary in settings? We have some begginer tutorials on our web site that might help you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I actually now have the side icons lit up and when I push the jog buttons its slightly moves then stops. Both red and green light are lit up on the driver boards.

I am complete newbie so I probably have something wrong in the settings:

Here is my set up
    Controller Mark 3/4
    2.5A-32 driver boards
    Meanwell 24V power suppy

I have a Routakit SDX Running Nema 23 motors. One X axis, One Z axis and Two for each Y axis. I am using a Dewalt router and not a hard wired spindle.

The drivers are set at 3rd dip switch turned on and jumpers are at 2.5A

Also, in the software my stepper motors are set at 1/8 and .5A, which it seems at the moment I can not change.

Here are some of my settings.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set1-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set2-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set3-jpg  

Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set4-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set5-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set6-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-set7-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It is normal that steps and amps settings are gray. They are for mk3drv controller that has integrated drivers.

Perhaps machine is outside its limits? Uncheck menu machine/options/limits.

Steps per unit seem high for belt driven machine. Are you sure they are correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of the settings were not given to me, some are default. What would be better numbers for a belt drive?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm only guessing but "steps / unit" is in steps/inch range not in steps/mm range.
    Did you contact our support about this?

Downloads
    Uploads

I did contact support today with almost an identical post as the start of this thread. From the website I was not able to post pictures, but if they reply then I could post the pictures of my settings.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

To set your SPU values we recommend that you follow this tutorial:
    https://planet-cnc.com/set-steps-per...-tng-software/

In fact, try following all steps for machine setup with TNG:
    https://planet-cnc.com/howto-setup-c...-tng-software/

But to return to the core of your problem.

1. Your power supply now works and your motor drivers have Green Power light and Enable light on?

2. Motors have torque in standby mode?

3. Make sure that controller is enabled as Primary controller in settings under connection

4. Make sure your jogging keys are configured in software settings:
    https://planet-cnc.com/machine-jogging-with-planetcnc-tng-software/

5. Also try toggling the enable pin in settings:
    File/Settings/Motors/Enable Pin

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I have tried many things, including toggling the Enable Pin settings and nothing has changed. Below is what I sent to PlanetCNC support on December 28th and have not heard back.

So according to Routakit instructions, the 3rd dip switch is turned on, and jumpers set to 2.5A. I am using a Meanwell 24Volt power supply.
    I will try to explain a little better what is going on. When I first power up my motor drives are all lit up green. Once I jog in a direction or press "Home To Zero" the motors clunk then the motor drivers red leds light up and the motors disengage. The software itself keeps working but the motors have red lighted and disengaged. I have been relating some of this to a forum and most think its an issue with my settings. The Routakit instructions uses the older USB Controller to input number into the settings. I could not get the firmware to update and opted to instead use your newer TNG. Being a newbie I have struggled to put these numbers into the right areas. I have studied the manual many times, but some of it just doesn't make sense to me.

Here is my set up:
    Routakit SDX
    Work Area (49.5in x 30in x 4in)
    Nema 23 Motors (4)
    Contoller: Mark 3/4
    Driver Boards: 2.5A-32 3 axis 4 motors 2 on Y 3rd dip switch on, jumpers at 2.5A
    PlanetCNC TNG
    Meanwell 24volt Power Supply Current Range 0-14.6 amps 350 watts
    Do not have a spindle hard wired, using a Dewalt router.

I have included some of Routakit's instructions as well as my settings in TNG.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings1-2-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings3-6-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings7-9-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings10-12-jpg  

Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings13-15-jpg   Newbie, Can't Get Motors To Move-settings16-17-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Please understand that it is holiday season and a lot of our people is on holidays with family. We start normal operations on Thursday.