VCarve gcode problem!?

Thread: VCarve gcode problem!?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VCarve gcode problem!?

I previously posted a thread calling it z-axis problems..it is and isn't a z-axis problem...I had a lot of conversation back and forth with a very knowledgeable guy, he wasn't familiar with vcarve but still had excellent incite on the problem.....however i'm still in the same boat, i'm hoping some vcarve guru catches this....when I generate gcode, using v-carve, I go in and zero my machine to the left lower corner of the material with x,y and to the surface of the material with z. I load the gcode and when I hit run one of two things happens (or both)...it either just buries the bit to the hilt and I have to emergency stop, or it will go into the material then pick up and hover above the material and proceeds to cut the program in the air...I've followed a couple of vectric tutorials to the last detail and still the same kind of problems with the gcode. I can't figure out what im missing..is it a setting in mach 3? am I missing some setting in vcarve? or is my freshly built machine that is still trying to get its first project under its belt just flat crazy? lol....I'm certain some setting in one of the two programs is being overlooked or i'm doing something wrong when producing the gcode...This is a DIY machine, not name brand but the software is surely name brand or at least name brand prices!....I'm understanding when setting up the Z-axis up is negative and down is positive on Mach 3 however, in the gcode down is negative and up is positive...not the smoothest of systems, but I got it...just cant figure out what is up with the Z side of things when I go to cut....any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VCarve gcode problem!?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey930 View Post
    I'm understanding when setting up the Z-axis up is negative and down is positive on Mach 3 however, in the gcode down is negative and up is positive..

There's your problem, Z down is negative, up is positive in Mach3. That explains a lot. No wonder you're having problems.

EDIT: To clarify a bit, normally Z moves towards the work in the negative direction, and moves away from the work in the positive direction. The only exception to this that I have seen is MultiCam router that a customer has.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 09-21-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the g-code is correct, and your Z axis is backwards.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

That would make more sense to me so how do I switch the z axis where it works in the reverse of what it is now in mach 3? where up is positive and down is negative

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this
    Config / Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs - change the 'Dir Low Active' state for your Z axis (cross or tick) then click Apply.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Or go to Config > Homing/Limits, and check "Reverse".

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

ok here it is!.....kept digging around on the net....not real sure which forum I was in now.....if this plunge down then up problem occurs.....Config/Ports & pins/motor outputs....change the z axis Dir low active from what ever it is to the other....either from a cross to a check or from a check to a cross and that will change the direction of the axis....and purred like a kitten after that!!!.....thanks for all the help guys..i'm sure this won't be the last you hear from me, i'll screw something up and I set around reading on here a lot, so who knows I may have some useful incite, I've had several roadblocks and figured most out....Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha ha Mr. Dawson you nailed it....I ran across it earlier and was out there messing with it and I just scrolled back up after I put in my last thread....but the ports/pins motor outputs was it ….you nailed it and it cut like a dream, I appreciate all your help sir.

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad I could help I'm also happy you were able to figure it out for yourself.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA