Single axis controll using SD card and MK3

Thread: Single axis controll using SD card and MK3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single axis controll using SD card and MK3

Hi, I have an application that needs some fairly simple movements on a single axis. Basically:
    - Move 2 inches from "starting position" to a "hold position"
    - stop for a few seconds
    - move slowly another 3 inches at a controlled speed
    - hold for 5 seconds
    - reverse to original position at a moderate speed

I am trying to avoid the need to dedicate a computer to this application, mostly because of space availability.

I already have:
    - Gecko stepper motor controller
    - stepper motor

and can get the rest of the mechanical parts fairly easily.

For control of the motion, I am thinking about:
    - Planet-cnc CNC USB controller Mk3 (9 axis) 219 euro
    - cnc usb controller license ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/connection-kit/ ) 69 euro
    - Adapter with screw terminals ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/adapt...rew-terminals/) 28 euro
    - Connection kit - just to save some time chasing parts ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/connection-kit/ ) 5.5 euro
    - SD card option ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/adapter-for-sd-card/ ) 35 euro
    - double shielded usb cable 10 euro

- Debating on the MPG jog pendant with adapter 199 euro

The idea is to generate the G code, load it into the SD card and let the MK3 do the motion control.

The "motion" would be activated by pushing a button / switch to run it through one "cycle" of the motion.

Assuming that this can all work, then I will probably purchase another set up for use with a small cnc router that I have.

I guess I have three general questions:

1) Will this concept work - loading the g code into the SD card and have the MK3 run in stand alone mode?
    I guess along with this - is this considered a standard, supported arrangement?

2) Am I missing anything obvious for parts or software to make it work?

3) Should I purchase off of the planet-cnc web site for delivery to the USA, or is there a USA based distributor for these items?

Thanks for any help and advice.

HarryN

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Single axis controll using SD card and MK3

Sure, you can use SD card with Mk3 for such simple tasks without PC, but only with CNC USB controller sw.
    I believe items you choose/mentioned are sufficient for such application.

If you will use second Mk3 controller with your CNC machines I would recommend that you consider MPG for second order.

Steps for using SD card adapter with Mk3 controller:

-SD card adapter is connected to Mk3 and/or Mk3/4 controller with 10pin flat cable trough SD&I2C header
    -Write your desired program and import it into CNC USB sw
    -Then export programs toolpath as Raw file format in CNCUSB controllersoftware: "File/Export Toolpath to Raw"
    -
    Rawfile must be named "toolpath.raw" and must belocated on SD cards root folder.

Youcan start the execution of your program with "Start from SDcard" in CNCUSB controller software or if you do not intend touse computer, you can connect a switch to desired input, assigned itin software as "Start" and you can later start theexecution of the program without the use of computer.

Insettings you set input as 'Start' switch: "File/Settings/Input"

NOTE:
    When running your program from SD card, the initial starting point ofmachining is always machines absolute XY=0 position.
    It isimportant that the version of controller connected tocomputer when you export your toolpath to RAW format is the same asthe one that will be later executing program from SD card adapter.

When you use controller in standalone option (no computer and no powersupply via USB)
    it isnecessary to use external power supply. Normal 8-24VDC adapter issuitable.

Same settings need to be used when exporting toolpath(RAW file) and whenupdating controllers firmware (same settings need to be loaded intosoftware).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Hi, I have an application that needs some fairly simple movements on a single axis. Basically:
    - stop for a few seconds
    - hold for 5 seconds

I am trying to avoid the need to dedicate a computer to this application, mostly because of space availability.

I already have:
    - stepper motor

- cnc usb controller license ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/connection-kit/ ) 69 euro
    - Adapter with screw terminals ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/adapt...rew-terminals/) 28 euro
    - Connection kit - just to save some time chasing parts ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/connection-kit/ ) 5.5 euro
    - SD card option ( https://planet-cnc.com/product/adapter-for-sd-card/ ) 35 euro

The idea is to generate the G code, load it into the SD card and let the MK3 do the motion control.

The "motion" would be activated by pushing a button / switch to run it through one "cycle" of the motion.

Assuming that this can all work, then I will probably purchase another set up for use with a small cnc router that I have.

1) Will this concept work - loading the g code into the SD card and have the MK3 run in stand alone mode?

3) Should I purchase off of the planet-cnc web site for delivery to the USA, or is there a USA based distributor for these items?

HarryN
    You can use a simple Indexing card and nothing else is needed, like this one is stand alone, and up to 4 axes

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    - stop for a few seconds
    - hold for 5 seconds

I already have:
    - stepper motor

HarryN
    Here is another one 3-Axis Stand-alone CNC Stepper Motor Controller with LCD Support G-code in SD Card $38.52 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the verification that it can work - as well as the suggestions for alternative approaches.

I don't build a lot of systems, so for me there is an advantage in having the same hardware, software and support path for both the stand alone application (no computer while running) and for the more conventional cnc router application (with computer), even if it ends up costing a bit more. Both my son and I will be using this so it will be easier for us both if we are dealing with one software approach, perfect or not.

At this point, we already own the stepper motor and gecko controller, so if I can use them vs switching to a servo that is useful.

At a personal level, I am trying to do my part to reduce the trade deficit with China, so purchasing things made locally is of course ideal, but second best is from suppliers in Europe, so this is a factor.

We are still undecided on mach vs linuxcnc so having a motion control board that works with either is a big plus.

Lastly, it isn't just the control, but also the ability to connect safety switches to stop motion if movement goes to far that is important. I have some knowledge but don't consider myself an expert user, and my son is completely new to it. Safety interlocks working are perhaps more important than anything else.

I really do appreciate the suggestions and responses.

HarryN

Downloads
    Uploads

Anaheim automation makes stepper drivers that can take a user supplied program, and run it over and over, with or without a user input to start it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Anaheim automation makes stepper drivers that can take a user supplied program, and run it over and over, with or without a user input to start it.
    Thanks. Those do look interesting. If I didn't already have the power supply and driver it would be pretty useful, but at $500 - not sure. Will think about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

After procrastinating for a while, I finally placed an order for some planet-cnc parts.

More of less the list is the same as above, just ordered 2x of many of the items.

At least initially we are going to use things slightly differently than the original project:

1) My son will have
    - desktop computer (existing)
    - win 10 (existing)
    - auto cad (existing)

- MK3 9 axis controller
    - software license
    - Gecko single axis stepper motor driver and one stepper motor (existing)
    - Not an actual linear motion axis, but some simple method of making sure that output works at a basic level and limit switches

The idea is to use this to learn, debug and do the drawings, make g code, and test.

We are bringing up a small cnc router that was loaned to us for a year. (in exchange for finishing it). It will have:
    - Normal 3 axis router motion
    - Same controller, software, and other safety hardware

It is in a different location about 20 minutes away that is less accessible and a less comfortable environment. (and has no electric utility connection available)

It is always hot in the summer, but this year it is nearly 100 F every day. The goal is that we can do at least some of the design - code - test items in air conditioning and then run the cnc when the sun isn't blazing.