Build Thread Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB

I am building from scratch all electrical for my build. I should have been completed with the first Picstep board by now but Digikey forgot to ship my resonators and I'm waiting till the replacements arrive sometime in the next 4 days.

Here is my progress so far:

I started by laser transfer and did a custom mix for the etching solution. It turned out pretty nice as you can see from the pictures. I won't go into too much detail here as you can find many videos on the transfer process.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2941-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2942-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2943-jpg

Next, I drilled all the holes using a nice dermal drill pack I found (LINK). I think I paid about $10 for the 7 pak. I used the two smallest bits for the component holes and the largest for the screw downs in the corners. They are the smallest I could find at my local home centers. It turns out these are EXACTLY the perfect size.

I placed the bits in the my press and drilled away:
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-2-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-3-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-5-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-8-jpg

Came out nice. I looked over the board with a glass to ensure there was nothing 'fishy' with any traces.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-10-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-12-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-14-jpg

Once all the holes were done I cleaned the board and prepared for the next step. My custom screening graphic.

(Continues...)

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-07-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DRAGON build (continued)

I have been trying to find a way to get a pro screen effect on my DIY boards. I came up with this process after trying out some ideas on my PMinMO 4 axis (LINK) and I think I found the fastest, nicest & easy way. You be the judge.

I went to the computer and for some reason I got stuck on a DRAGON theme. I went through my sketches of dragons but none were transferred to computer just yet. Since this was just a concept I didn't want to spend too much time agonizing over it but I had some basic ideas of what I wanted. After all, I was not quite sure how this was going to turn out.

So after searching and searching I found a nice one at AMD's website. What's nice, is it's open source (i think) so that's even better!
    Here the link to the download page: AMD Fusion Press kit

I choose this one:

Now time for the magic:
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2944-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2946-jpg

I played around with layout and colors. Added textures, the Picstep logo, board overlays and of coarse gave credit to Alan for creating the board in the first place.

And now, because of this graphic, my board is known as the "Picstep DRAGON - fusion 4.0".

(Continues..)

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-07-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DRAGON Picstep Driver Build (cont)

So having a rough idea at this point I went back to the PCB.
    After measuring and adjusting I knew it would be best to prepare the top side of the PCB with color. This would allow a nice boarder around the screen if it happened to be too small.

To prepare the PCB I cleaned and sprayed it with professional/industrial enamel. Flat black. This stuff is strong and is meant for tools and heavy use.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-15-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-16-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-17-jpg
    **It dried flat and VERY VERY SMOOTH**

Once that was finished I did multiple coats of spay on lacquer. It dries smooth and quick. I probably did a total of 4-6 layers.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-18-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-22-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-19-jpg
    It dried perfectly smooth. These photos were taken right after first spray.

In the mean time I printed a few final drafts of the screen I liked. One RED version and another not-so-complete dark GREY version. I pinned them to my easel and began to use the same lacquer to coat the graphic. I did 10+ coats and left it over night to dry.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3022-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3021-jpg
    **This one in the photo is not the final design. This was a backup just in case I ruined the RED one.**

NEXT: How to print the screen properly to get the BEST effect (continues..)

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-07-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DRAGON Picstep Driver Build (cont)

Printing the screen/graphic:

I don't have some magic super trick here just some advice on making the print as professional as you can get. It really depends on what you have available. This was a trial an error for me so I'll just cover what worked and what was a waste of time.

First, I have a nice laser color and an HP photo printer. After testing both on regular paper they were pretty equal. The laser was a little more crisp but the HP had better depth of color. Overall both sucked as they looked like they were printed on a home printer. Also, I needed something that can take the lacquer coats and regular paper just comes out OK at best.

I tried some glossy paper for color laser and a glossy tri-fold inkjet paper I had laying around. Better but surprisingly not the best. The glossy was interesting and the lacquar seemed to take OK but it was a little more fussy due to the glossy coating. The search went on...

After looking around my local office supply I saw Avery (18665) (LINK) 8-1/2" x 11" clear sticker paper. Print whatever and stick. I was very excited. I did test it on a simple cheapo driver board I was playing around with. The first picture is of the graphic I experimented with and used.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-mcwire_overlay_flag_rockstarcnc_com_01-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3027-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3030-jpg

To me it was not that great. The 'paper/sticker' is very thin and smooth. It is not completely clear more milky really.
    Also, the ink from the inkjet did not hold well on this 'paper/sticker' and the prints are somewhat washed-out. After I applied it to the board any errors, problems and colors I had showed through. Even with a thin coat of metallic paint for the base. It generally comes off grungy and is somewhat easy to smear as you populate a board.

Not to mention it was a real pain to peel, line up the holes perfectly and stick. Once this is down it's down.

At this point I knew what I was looking for. A premium grade heavy stock with limited gloss cover. This would allow for a continuous smooth cover on the board. Anything too thin and shiney will show any smudge, lumps or bumps and over all not worth the effort really. If you look close on the PMinMO 4 axis I used a clear spray-on Poly gloss coating on plain color paper. It turned out nice, has a cool shine but any flaw in the paper, spray, handling, backing glue, etc will show through. I needed something that was stiff, strong, printed fantastic and can take heavy coats of a spay coating. I went back to the office supple a little puzzled.

After buying a few packs of various HP papers I found what works best for me and this application. HP's premium matte presentation paper. Along with this same paper setting in the printer software I think I fell in love right there. Hands down this IS a fantastic printout. Another thing that increased the print was using the advanced printing functions in Photoshop. Photoshop has professional color controls for adjusting your prints. By increasing the saturation of the inks a little you could not tell these were printed at home. The quality is night and day over a standard color paper. This paper has very nice weight and took the lacquer wonderfully. No bleeding even on heavy coats. I could spill coffee on this thing and believe I could wipe it up and move on. It also remained flexible even after 10+ coats of MATTE lacquer.

So I would suggest using this paper if you can with an inkjet.
    If someone has other suggestions I'm all ears.

(Continues...)

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dragon Build Picstep (cont)

So at this point I had the PCB with a nice black finish, holes drilled and my final design ready.

This is the best way I found to line up the board with the holes. The following pictures are from the PMinMO 4 Axis build. I did the same for the dragon.

Just poke some reference holes in the screen and use tacks as posts to align it. I used a light spay on adhesive then removed the tacks and pressed it flat with a book or similar.

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2820-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2826-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2824-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2825-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2831-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2832-jpg

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg2847-jpg

Spray a few more coats, trim the paper to the board with a razor, touch up the edges with a nice sharpie and done.
    I think you get the idea from the pictures.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-08-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Picstep Dragon Build Continues

Ok so I hope I gave all the details I can on this. Here is the dragon after all this with the wire jumpers in place.

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-picstep_build_dragon_rockstarcnc-57-small-jpg

And here at 90%:

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3033small-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3040small-jpg

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-08-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

How about a higher res pic? Looks cool.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    How about a higher res pic? Looks cool.
    thanks. Sure. My camera blurs out when I get too close. It's at 10+ mega pixel though. I'm working on my PIC programmer now. I'll get a few more up close when I can today.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try backing up and zooming in. Easier to focus that way.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Try backing up and zooming in. Easier to focus that way.
    Here's some more pics. This is the best I can get with my Casio 10.1. I keep putting off getting a NIKON D3 or D700. Been waiting for the next long overdue vacation.

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3058-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3059-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3063-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to document the construction and testing of a DIY Pic programmer here. Is anyone interested in seeing this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking coffe spill

And just a little test. I've been known to spill my coffee on electronics..

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3074-jpg

Opps...
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3076-jpg
    Damn...
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3077-jpg
    It's ruined!!
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3080-jpg

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3082-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3083-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3084-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3086-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3087-jpg

I guess I could spill coffee on these things..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your PCBs look very professional. Thanks for sharing your technics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I was going to document the construction and testing of a DIY Pic programmer here. Is anyone interested in seeing this?
    yes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Finding a PIC programmer

So if anyone doesn't know you will need to program/flash a PIC microchip to complete a PICSTEP board. The chip we'll need to program is the PIC16F628A.

If you plan on using more PICs in the future you can find some nice commercial programmers on ebay or PICs website. I would say $60-$100 will get everything you need and will program a huge selection of chips. (LINK)I have a use for one but buying a pre-built is no fun now is it? So lets put together the CHEAPEST easiest DIY programmer we can. If you do it right I would say under $3-5 in very common parts. Ohhh, and let's not forget the 'fun factor' here.

First check to make sure your PC has a Serial connection (9pins). These are becoming outdated and newer motherboards leave these off along with parallel ports. If you don't have one or do not have access to one you may need to buy a USB programmer which puts you back in the $60-100 range. Doh!! Also as a side note, PIC serial programmers SOMETIMES have trouble with laptops. Since it's power source comes from the serial port, laptops can limit the voltage to save power. This is not always the case but it's ideal to have a desktop for this. I have an old DELL Dimension P4 1.8 that just won't die. Perfect for this.

Still interested??? Ok, lets go...

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-09-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY PIC Programmer for PICSTEP

Ok so here's something I put together. This SHOULD program this chip fine. I have not tested it yet but will be doing so at some point in the next week. IC-prog (software) is included in the package. This is based off a VERY simple JDM design. 13 VCC with power supplied by the serial port. All these parts can be easily gathered at any local electronics store. Here I can grab all these and have extra for less then $10 including board.
    For the capacitor i sited >16v. This can be anything over that amount. 16v should be fine but 35v is better if you don't know anything about what your doing.

NOTE: You can probably replace the transitor (bc547) with a 2n3904. 2n3904 is much more common. (link)

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-diy_pic16f628a_programmer_rockstarcnc_com-jpg
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-pic16f628a_programmer_bottom_rockstarcnc_com-jpg
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-pic16f628a_programmer_parts_rockstarcnc_com-jpg

Does anyone want to give it a try??
    If you have questions please let me know.

I choose to build something off the JMD2 design as this will allow me to program this PIC and a large 2550 chip. I plan on building my own USB PIC programmer so I need something that can flash the 2550 too. I found a good design on the web for this. I will find the link and post it later but here's some pics of my progress. I have not completed it YET. I am missing a few small components as always! My local store ran out of some of these.

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3044-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3046-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3051-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3056-jpg

When doing this board I found a nice way of laser transfer that seems to be working very nicely. I managed to get almost 100% of the toner from the paper to the PCB. Wow. Maybe just lucky. I will try this again to see if I can repeat the results.

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-09-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added zip Package & more pics

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PICSTEP JDM2 programmer Complete... Working

My missing parts for my PICSTEPs are set to arrive Monday, so I figured out a Frankenstein way of getting my JDM2 PIC Programmer up and running so I can test my BOB and Driver. I will have some pics of the JDM2 for those who are interested. It's not pretty but works perfect.

I used WinPic800. Reads, writes and verifies 100%. I will breadboard the other design sometime soon. I'm curious if it will work as well.

I attached everything you will need to create this version.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-hardware-test-jpg   Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-reading-pic-jpg   Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-verfied-pic-jpg  
    Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 08-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Custom RockstarCNC PICSTEP programmer WORKS!!!

The RockstarCNC JDM programmer is working perfectly with all listed components on a breadboard.

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3134-jpg

Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-rockstarpicprogrammerread-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-rockstarpicprogrammererase-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-rockstarpicprogrammerwriting-jpg Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-rockstarpicprogrammerwrite_complete-jpg

I may add a data-line LED to this later. If I do I will post the corrected files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well my resonators finally arrived today. I plan to finish off my electronics this week and do a full test. It may have to wait for the weekend however, as this week is turning out to be very busy for me.
    In the meantime, I think I may start on the other two screens for the other 2 PICSTEPS.

Anyone have any suggestions for the other two?

Originally I was going to make them all red, then choose to do each in a different color. Maybe a blue and a __something__. But now I'm thinking I should try out different ideas.humm. Also if someone makes the programmer I would be interested to hear how it worked for you. Please let me know.

~v3gaS~

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down

My first full test is on going. My motor is not turning at all. It has no response what-so-ever. I expected the the motor to freeze up and bind when power added. It did not. Hum.

I have to start debugging and going through everything this week when I have time. I re-flashed the PIC chip and it verifies the Hex. The code is there.

There are a few things I'm not sure of. Like the jumpers on the PicStep board? What is what?

I received my power supply this week from Japan. I need to test it as I have this feeling it's not exactly what I ordered. We will see.

The PMinMO board Lights up, eStop works ects. I had to add add jumper wires for the 5v and enable pins for each axis. You will see those on the top of the board. The PIN Header from the 4 axis to the Picstep is screwed up. PMinMO says to twist the cable. I did.

Here are some pics.

Time to start debugging.
    Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3149-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3146-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3147-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3148-jpgPicstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB-cimg3153-jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast