Backlight Led for Lithophanes

Thread: Backlight Led for Lithophanes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Backlight Led for Lithophanes

Hi

I am going to make lithophanes with 3mm coloured acrylic.

For backlight I plan on using the12v led strips from Hong Kong / eBay around the edge of frame.....are these OK or what alternatives are there ?

Project sizes will be around 8 inch square max.

Roy

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Backlight Led for Lithophanes

I've done that here with 3d printed lithopanes. What i did was make a base for them, like a trophy base with a slot in the top that fits the acrylic panel, then have a strip of LED's in the base that shines onto the edge of the panel. It works great. I have been using RGB led strip that you can cut every three LED's, usually two or three sections depending on width of the panel and its plenty bright. Use the 3528 SMD type though, smaller LED's and more per foot, the 5050 variety are a larger SMD and they spread out more.

Another tip i learned, get the indoor only variety that don't have the conformal coating over the strip, that rubberized coating on the top will diffuse the light but it also dulls the color and it starts to yellow over time, i now use the strips that are not coated. I found a good deal on ebay on 5m rolls of RGB 3528 with a black flexible PCB strip, the black reduces any weird glares and prevents seeing the strip when its not on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info
    I am going to try your base lighting option. I was going to use all around picture frame and backlight.

I plan on making another one here this weekend if i get it done i will post a pic. What i would like to try next is making one with my little chinese CNC engraver on a piece of acrylic and then make a nice wood base for it. They really look cool as a freestanding lighted lithopane.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to see your project. Perhaps you could also post the tool and settings as well. I have a 3040, Mach3 Photo v Carve. Just bought a small vacuum table on eBay UK about £40 ex pump of course.