Default VCarve with emc2??

Is anyone using VCarve Pro with emc2?

Alan

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Alan,

I'm pretty sure that EMC2 (Linux OS) supports standard G and M Codes so you should be able to use the GCode postprocessors in VCarve Pro.

You can test this using the Trial version of the software, opening one of the Evaluation files and Saving the Toolpaths using the GCode postp's. If you have any further questions drop a note to support@vectric.com.

I'd be very interested to know whether this works for you.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony,

I am still doing a little work on my router but I would like to try it out (and buy if it works before the price goes up). I was hoping to find someone who had already edited a post processor.

Thanks,
    Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you mean running V-carve in Linux or just the created g-code ?

I would also be interested in running it in Linux, I have installed Ubuntu on my machine controller and was so impressed that I also converted a laptop (my wifes ) to Ubuntu and am loving it. At home we have two Windows machines (PC and Laptop) and two Linux machines (PC for router and Laptop) and we are finding ourselves using the Linux machines more and more with far less hassles...

I will be trying to get V-carve going on Linux eventually, have a few things to sort out first (shed and working machines) then its all systems go !!!

Besides I think I will wait for the next version, sounds good

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Did you mean running V-carve in Linux or just the created g-code ?

I would also be interested in running it in Linux, I have installed Ubuntu on my machine controller and was so impressed that I also converted a laptop (my wifes ) to Ubuntu and am loving it. At home we have two Windows machines (PC and Laptop) and two Linux machines (PC for router and Laptop) and we are finding ourselves using the Linux machines more and more with far less hassles...

I will be trying to get V-carve going on Linux eventually, have a few things to sort out first (shed and working machines) then its all systems go !!!

Besides I think I will wait for the next version, sounds good

Russell.
    Russell,

I meant running the gcode from VCarve. I would love it if it were available on unix or the Mac, but for now I run XP on my Mac under Parallels to produce my gcode and Ubuntu with emc2 on a PC box out in the shop.

In another thread, Tony said the price for V4 will be going up about $100 but if you buy now for $495 the price will include a free upgrade to V4.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russell,

Further to Alan's note - VCarve Pro DOES NOT run on Linux on Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista.

The Vectric software products all save GCode CNC data that can be opened using the EMC2 software, which takes care of the communication between the machine and the pc.

I hope this make sense,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! I'm using VCarve and PhotoVcave on a Windows XP PC to generate standard Gcode, and it runs fine under EMC2. No editing necessary....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good news and thanks for the feedback juzwuz.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking of trying to get V-carve going using W.I.N.E. to run the executables, it seems to work quite well these days.

I love the stability of Linux, and the ease of use (once setup ), CAD options and machine controller are good, CAM is a little... erm lacking. Trying to eliminate all my windows machines if possible.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by juzwuz View Post
    Hi! I'm using VCarve and PhotoVcave on a Windows XP PC to generate standard Gcode, and it runs fine under EMC2. No editing necessary....
    Juzwuz,

That is the info I was looking for.

Thanks,
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alan,

Give the Vectric demos a try if you haven't already. I don't know how many times I carved the "puppies in a basket" demo under PhotoVcarve but it was quite a few while I was tuning the parameters (steps per inch, acceleration, velocity, etc.) in EMC2. I just use the G Code (inch).tap or G-Code Arcs (inch).tap postprocessors. So far I use my Windows PC for CAD/CAM, copy the gcode to a usb flash drive, load it onto my Linux EMC2 PC in the garage, and run it. It's definitely nice to have a dedicated machine controller.

Justin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking How-to run Vectric Vcarve under Ubuntu Linux (EMC2 BDI)

Alan, et al:

I understand that this is a dead thread (Last update having been on 05-07-2007 11:13 PM), but I wanted to let anyone know that I now have the Vectric Vcarve trial software running under Ubuntu v8.04 / Wine 1.1.10. This same fix also allowed me to run Google Sketchup v6 on the same wine installation.

In case anyone else is trying to get this software going under the EMC2 / Ubuntu BDI cd here is a writeup that I posted to the Vectric forums:

In case anyone else wants to try running VCarve under Linux. I now have it up and running under wine and have been able to produce gcode from the trial version that matches that which was produced when installed under Windows.
    When installing I ran into 2 problems. the first was that the fonts kept getting reloaded every time I started Vcarve. (This was a minor delay but I found a fix while trying to fix the show stopper noted below.) The second problem was that the 3D display was blank which meant that no part or tool path preview. The cause of my black screen problem was that my computer is running an Intel 945 integrated graphics card. I used the "lspci -v | less" command to find out what card my system had. The relevant section began with a line containing:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

This family of video cards does not support the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI) for applications running under Wine. If you are have installed a 3D application such as Vectric's Cut3d, Vcarve Pro, PhotoVcarve, or Google Sketchup v6 on an Ubuntu (or EMC2 live CD install) system you can workaround this issue by:

Note: these instructions assume that you are familiar with your Linux system and are not afraid of the using the command line to edit configuration files.

1) Open a terminal window
    Click on Menu/Accessories/Terminal

2) Back up your current configuration, enter your password when prompted
    gksudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.BAK

3) Edit the config file, enter your password if prompted
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

4) Look for a section that looks like this (the exact wording on each system will be different):
    This is what it looked like on one of my systems:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    This is what it looked like on another system that this procedure was tested on:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "intel"
    EndSection

5) Add the line to disable the DRI functions
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "NoDRI"
    EndSection
    This is what it fix looked like on the other system:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Option "NoDRI"
    Driver "intel"
    EndSection

6) Save the file

7) Logout or reboot to restart the X11 windowing system so the change can take effect

Video cards form nvidia (with the propitiatory drivers installed) do not require this workaround, other video chipsets such as ATI may or may not need this workaround to get 3d Apps running under Wine.

For the record here is my system configuration and what was installed to get this working:

Ubuntu v8.04 (Installed form the EMC2 live CD available from

* http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu...-aj07-i386.iso )

Wine version wine-1.1.10 installed via packages from Wind HQ

* http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

DirectX, and "allfonts" v9 installed by the wine tricks script (These were installed while debugging and to avoid the delay when the fonts were being redone every time VCarve Pro was started) Winetricks can be downloaded from:

* http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

VCarvePro v4.6 Trial from Vectric's download page.

Google SketchUP v6.4.122 (free) from Google

I also posted this on Vectric's forum so that it may help a wider audience.

Regards,
    BoorT