Need Help! Serious noise issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious noise issues

Default Re: Serious noise issues

Just a quick update, after disabling the C1E and Intel SpeedStep (EIST) options in BIOS there is a huge difference, there was no bump sound, no motor blocking in 20 minutes of spinning the X motor without belt mounted, than mounted the motor on the axis and tried to move the gantry on both X and Y axis in the same time and after another 20 minutes of testing there was still no bumb sound and no motors blocked.

I will start milling a policarbonate part now to see how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ovisopa View Post
    Just a quick update, after disabling the C1E and Intel SpeedStep (EIST) options in BIOS there is a huge difference, there was no bump sound, no motor blocking in 20 minutes of spinning the X motor without belt mounted, than mounted the motor on the axis and tried to move the gantry on both X and Y axis in the same time and after another 20 minutes of testing there was still no bumb sound and no motors blocked.

I will start milling a policarbonate part now to see how it goes.
    Good find, with the computer Bios, using 2 different outlets for your power supply, this can cause a Ground loop, which can cause similar problems also

Also more than 1 Ground rod can be a problem also, they would all have to be bonded together or this can become unsafe

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Mike,
    I think that confirms my previous theory on the reasons for many of the spurious trips that constantly get reported here.
    I know a lot of people are averse to making all PS commons tied to a common earth point, but this goes part way to confirming it should be done.
    Thanks.
    Al.
    I am having many issues with my setup and reading this confuses me more...
    So here is my deal:
    I have a CNC4PC C11G BOB and it has a chattering relay2 when the BOB is not in "green" status and I am having false Estop and Limit triggers. I am just now trying to figure out what I need to do. I have used shielded cable, but have not tied the shields to chassis ground. I am going to do that. I have also heard the .1 uf cap across the switch leads helps, planning on doing that. I have NC switches wired to 5volts and the BOB input to provide 5volts and when SW is activated go low. But my thinking now is wrong, should I ground the switch so it held low and when the SW activates let the BOB go HIGH with internal pull up?

The other thing The guy at CNC4PC says all of my ground should be isolated. The 36 VDC ground not tied to chassis, the 5 VDC not tied to chassis and the spindle 15 volts not common. But, i am getting from this post that that is not the case. If anyone could look at my Schematic and point out my faults that would be great..

Thanks

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

For a start, all shields should be taken to a central ground Star point, I know there are many manuf of BOB's and systems that say keep the commons separate and ungrounded, But I have always followed the opposite method where it is possible, and taken all power commons to the GND star point together with the service ground conductor.
    I have not had any problems so far.
    I had a long thread here by some one with the same issues and after following the above method, cured his problems, unfortunately posts over a year old cannot be found here with a search.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    For a start, all shields should be taken to a central ground Star point, I know there are many manuf of BOB's and systems that say keep the commons separate and ungrounded, But I have always followed the opposite method where it is possible, and taken all power commons to the GND star point together with the service ground conductor.
    I have not had any problems so far.
    I had a long thread here by some one with the same issues and after following the above method, cured his problems, unfortunately posts over a year old cannot be found here with a search.
    Al.
    I am going to give that a try and see..

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by truckeic View Post
    I am going to give that a try and see..

Thanks
    No that is a bad idea, you can not add anything to a shield to take it to a star point Ground this is never recommended, a Shield is clamped terminated where the cable ends to what is chassis Ground or the Ground Plane

CNC4 PC is correct there Breakout board has to be isolated, if you have the power supply - neutral connected to ground this will cause a problem for your Breakout Board

It sounds like you have some bad wiring rather than a noise problem

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serious noise issues-grounding-shields-7-png   Serious noise issues-grounding-shields-6-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No that is a bad idea, you can not add anything to a shield to take it to a star point Ground this is never recommended, a Shield is clamped terminated where the cable ends to what is chassis Ground or the Ground Plane

CNC4 PC is correct there Breakout board has to be isolated, if you have the power supply - neutral connected to ground this will cause a problem for your Breakout Board

It sounds like you have some bad wiring rather than a noise problem
    Well here is how its wired. I used 1 pair shielded audio cable for the Limit home switches. I am using aviation connectors and could ground the shield directly yo the case where the connector is mounted I guess.

Not sure how my wiring is bad but here is a drawing and if you can pint me in the direction I would be gratefulSerious noise issues-mill-wiring-jpg.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serious noise issues-mill-wiring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Truckeic My method works regardless whether there is any ground loop between the bonded point and the star point.
    This has stood me in good stead for over 50yrs.
    Many of the component suppliers recommend not bonding the power -ve's to GND as they do not know what else is often used for break-out or intermediate boards and don't want their equipment to take the blame..
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well here is how its wired. I used 1 pair shielded audio cable for the Limit home switches. I am using aviation connectors and could ground the shield directly yo the case where the connector is mounted I guess.

Not sure how my wiring is bad but here is a drawing and if you can pint me in the direction I would be gratefulSerious noise issues-mill-wiring-jpg.
    I'm are there any fuses or power supply Breakers in any of the main power circuits, I don't see any power filters they are a must for switch mode power supplies , so the main power supply that supplies all your power supplies

there needs to be a power filter that is large enough to support all of the power supplies

Where is the spindle in this, what are you using for a spindle and spindle drive this is normally where the noise comes from

When you have a lot of wire like this also it helps to twist the pairs

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I'm are there any fuses or power supply Breakers in any of the main power circuits, I don't see any power filters they are a must for switch mode power supplies , so the main power supply that supplies all your power supplies

there needs to be a power filter that is large enough to support all of the power supplies

Where is the spindle in this, what are you using for a spindle and spindle drive this is normally where the noise comes from

When you have a lot of wire like this also it helps to twist the pairs
    Those are not fuses buss connection.
    So what are you suggesting to filter the power supplies.
    The spindle is a DC motor and I am using the analogue out to drive the speed controller.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are not fuses buss connection.
    So what are you suggesting to filter the power supplies.
    The spindle is a DC motor and I am using the analogue out to drive the speed controller.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Yes the main supply that feeds the power supplies you should have a EMI power filter on the input side, yes I realized they where not fuses and changed the post

Those motors are a beast for noise, so do you have the noise problem with the spindle running or without it running the PWM power supply for the spindle will be a large source of your noise

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12