Need Help! High voltage from american rotary 20hp cnc phase converter

Thread: High voltage from american rotary 20hp cnc phase converter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default High voltage from american rotary 20hp cnc phase converter

I have been having trouble with one of my vmc's since I brought it into my shop. It is a supermax v56t with fanuc 18m control. It will sometimes run fine other times it will give a 401 not ready o/v alarm on a twin axis servo card. This morning it ran fine for ~ 2hours and all of a sudden the alarm starts popping up.

I was looking at the capacitors in the phase converter to see if/ how to try to balance the voltage across the 3 phase. My thinking is maybe the voltage imbalance is the problem. Voltage incoming is 240-245 v
    Out is 115, 118, 208 to ground.
    So I was trying to figure out the capacitor wiring and think it might have been wired wrong as the large capacitors are wired from t3-t2, t1-t2, and the third one is also wired t1-t2.
    There are also smaller capaitors with resistors on them and 2 of them have jumper wires between. those also are wired t1-t2 on both. One of those has the jumpers to a 2nd capacitor.

I tried finding a manual for the american rotary but it is crappy in that it does not show the wiring for the caps.

My phase converter is the vertical buss type.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am trying to get a job done

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: High voltage from american rotary 20hp cnc phase converter

Quote Originally Posted by A1CNC View Post
    I have been having trouble with one of my vmc's since I brought it into my shop. It is a supermax v56t with fanuc 18m control. It will sometimes run fine other times it will give a 401 not ready o/v alarm on a twin axis servo card. This morning it ran fine for ~ 2hours and all of a sudden the alarm starts popping up.

I was looking at the capacitors in the phase converter to see if/ how to try to balance the voltage across the 3 phase. My thinking is maybe the voltage imbalance is the problem. Voltage incoming is 240-245 v
    Out is 115, 118, 208 to ground.
    So I was trying to figure out the capacitor wiring and think it might have been wired wrong as the large capacitors are wired from t3-t2, t1-t2, and the third one is also wired t1-t2.
    There are also smaller capaitors with resistors on them and 2 of them have jumper wires between. those also are wired t1-t2 on both. One of those has the jumpers to a 2nd capacitor.

I tried finding a manual for the american rotary but it is crappy in that it does not show the wiring for the caps.

My phase converter is the vertical buss type.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am trying to get a job done
    An RPC is not suitable for CNC Machines, even though a lot use them, there is always going to be problems and a short life for machine electrical components, when using an RPC

If you need 3phase Power, for sensitive machines then get a Phase Perfect

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I just don't have the $5,000 to replace something that has worked for my other machines.

I have been using this RPC for ~10 years now. In that time I have had 5 different vmc's 2 different lathes. Not one of them had what I would call a short life for the electrical components. The ones I no longer have wore out mechanically but the controls are still working in the shops I sold them to.

I really was hoping for some help with what I have today.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A1CNC View Post
    I just don't have the $5,000 to replace something that has worked for my other machines.

I have been using this RPC for ~10 years now. In that time I have had 5 different vmc's 2 different lathes. Not one of them had what I would call a short life for the electrical components. The ones I no longer have wore out mechanically but the controls are still working in the shops I sold them to.

I really was hoping for some help with what I have today.
    Just think that it has cost you way more than $5,000 just in wasted energy use

I could help but this is one thing I will not help with is RPCs, because of the energy they waste, they run around 40% efficient the Phase Perfect is 98% so soon pays for itself just in energy saved

Mactec54