Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 24

The 310 has no spindle drive, the hole in the panel for spindle was only for J325/J425 machines that had a VFD for spindle control. The control and drives are single phase, and I don't think the 310's came with a coolant pump which was 3 phase.
    I would get a 3-4hp VFD and wire the spindle motor to that, and use single phase for the rest of the machine, or just use it as a phase converter.

Default Re: Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 24

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    The 310 has no spindle drive, the hole in the panel for spindle was only for J325/J425 machines that had a VFD for spindle control. The control and drives are single phase, and I don't think the 310's came with a coolant pump which was 3 phase.
    I would get a 3-4hp VFD and wire the spindle motor to that, and use single phase for the rest of the machine, or just use it as a phase converter.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I think I'll follow that route.

Smitty

Ok, so long time since I posted to this thread. After spending almost 3 years trying to get my shop set up, I came to the realization I need to just get rid of some of my machines as I'll never have time to get them working and learn how to program them. So...

I put the Tree 310 up for sale. However, I still haven't figured out how to isolate the spindle so I can run it with a VFD and use single phase power for the rest of the controls, etc.

I thought I had a manual with drawings, but, after 3 years I can't find them.

So, I'm asking for some help... I have uploaded some pictures that show the wiring. The 240 V 3 phase comes into a smaller cabinet (Electrical cabinet.jpg) at the back of the machine. There's a main switch on the right side (when looking at the panel), and wires running to the lube motor which is 3 phase. There's a number of contactors or relays, but the 3 phase power leaves the cabinet on the left side. It is a bundle of red and black wires with one green ground wire, which can be seen in the picture.

Once the wire enters the larger cabinet (CNC Cabinet.jpg), it goes through 3 fuzes, then two of the wires, L1 and L2 go into Transformer 2 (the smaller one above the much larger Transformer 1) and also to the small relay to the left of the transformers. The 3rd wire from the fuzes--the red one on the left at the bottom of the fuzes, goes up to the top of the large terminal block which is labeled "AC Bus Input" (upside down in the red area at the top) on the right of the Baldor drivers.

The controller is a Dynapath Delta 20M (Dynapath D20 Tag.jpg). The machine serial number and info is shown on the picture (Tree 310 Data Plate)

So, I hope that is enough information that someone could help me know where to disconnect the 3 phase power and run it directly to the spindle motor, and where to connect single phase power (240 or 120 V as needed).

I have a static phase converter that's rated from 2 to 5 hp, and have a 7.5 hp VFD coming that should be here Monday. I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smitty

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-electrical-cabinet-jpg   Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-cnc-cabinet-jpg   Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-transf-2-transf-1-jpg   Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-ex-relay-jpg  

Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-tree-310-data-plate-jpg   Have Tree 310 w/ 3 phase power. Best solution to hook to my shops Single Phase 240 V-dynapath-d20-tag-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSmitty View Post
    Ok, so long time since I posted to this thread. After spending almost 3 years trying to get my shop set up, I came to the realization I need to just get rid of some of my machines as I'll never have time to get them working and learn how to program them. So...

I put the Tree 310 up for sale. However, I still haven't figured out how to isolate the spindle so I can run it with a VFD and use single phase power for the rest of the controls, etc.

I thought I had a manual with drawings, but, after 3 years I can't find them.

So, I'm asking for some help... I have uploaded some pictures that show the wiring. The 240 V 3 phase comes into a smaller cabinet (Electrical cabinet.jpg) at the back of the machine. There's a main switch on the right side (when looking at the panel), and wires running to the lube motor which is 3 phase. There's a number of contactors or relays, but the 3 phase power leaves the cabinet on the left side. It is a bundle of red and black wires with one green ground wire, which can be seen in the picture.

Once the wire enters the larger cabinet (CNC Cabinet.jpg), it goes through 3 fuzes, then two of the wires, L1 and L2 go into Transformer 2 (the smaller one above the much larger Transformer 1) and also to the small relay to the left of the transformers. The 3rd wire from the fuzes--the red one on the left at the bottom of the fuzes, goes up to the top of the large terminal block which is labeled "AC Bus Input" (upside down in the red area at the top) on the right of the Baldor drivers.

The controller is a Dynapath Delta 20M (Dynapath D20 Tag.jpg). The machine serial number and info is shown on the picture (Tree 310 Data Plate)

So, I hope that is enough information that someone could help me know where to disconnect the 3 phase power and run it directly to the spindle motor, and where to connect single phase power (240 or 120 V as needed).

I have a static phase converter that's rated from 2 to 5 hp, and have a 7.5 hp VFD coming that should be here Monday. I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smitty
    The static Phase converter will not be of any use, and you should not even try and use it.

The VFD Drives input power will be connected using L1 and L2 Plus Ground, if you have something in your cabinet that needs 120v then you will have to have a 4-wire supply that would have L1 L2 Neutral and Ground

The VFD Drive will connect direct to the spindle U V W Plus Ground will need to be a 4-wire Shielded cable this will go direct to the spindle motor and the VFD Drive output

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't make heads or tails out of that rats nest of wiring. It looks like the red and yellow wires might feed the servo drives, but not sure about that. I would just have to trace wires to see what they do. You may have to trace wires and draw a schematic to understand how that was wired up. I have no idea what the input voltage is to the servo drive bus, I really can't see how it's wired.

For the spindle motor:
    Carefully place the static phase converter on a back shelf somewhere and forget you have it. For the VFD, trace the conduit from the spindle motor back to the panel, disconnect the motor wires from what ever they are connected to. Connect those wires to the VFD output terminals. Connect 240V single phase to the input terminals on the VFD, per the instruction manual. When set up, the spindle motor should run.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 02-12-2022 at 02:37 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I second the wiring trace and produce a decent schematic, important for present setting up and future trouble shooting.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Mactec

Thanks for your response. I understand I need to hook up to the L1 and L2 wires. I just don't know at what point in the wiring I need to hook it up, and which wires need to be disconnected, etc.

Regards,

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I can't make heads or tails out of that rats nest of wiring. It looks like the red and yellow wires might feed the servo drives, but not sure about that. I would just have to trace wires to see what they do. You may have to trace wires and draw a schematic to understand how that was wired up. I have no idea what the input voltage is to the servo drive bus, I really can't see how it's wired.

For the spindle motor:
    Carefully place the static phase converter on a back shelf somewhere and forget you have it. For the VFD, trace the conduit from the spindle motor back to the panel, disconnect the motor wires from what ever they are connected to. Connect those wires to the VFD output terminals. Connect 240V single phase to the input terminals on the VFD, per the instruction manual. When set up, the spindle motor should run.
    Thanks for your feedback.

I started drawing a schematic, but need to clean it up so it's easier to understand. Near as I can tell, the 3 phase power goes from the electrical cabinet to the CNC control cabinet where the L1 and L2 are connected to the large fuzes seen at the top right of the cabinet. The red wire does go up to the the servo drives. The yellow wire actually starts out red, but the yellow wire was spliced into it... not sure why.

The 3 smaller fuzes in the electrical panel are for the lube system, and possibly for the Spindle switch, which has a push button On/Off, and then a 3 position switch for Off, I and II, wihich I assume is for Forward and Reverse.
    I do have some schematics for the Tree 325 Journeyman, which seems to be at least similar. I also downloaded some schematics from the Dynapath site, but they don't match the wire numbers etc. in the cabinet.

Anyway, if anyone has a wiring diagram and operating manual for it that I could get a copy of I'd appreciate it

Thanks again,

Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to set up proper 1ph fusing for the VFD supply, Many manuals show the power through a NFB (non-fused breaker) followed by a contactor for E-stop purposes per NFPA79.
    If concerned about dropping the contactor during spindle use, NEC allows a Category 1 "controlled Stop" where you can use the at zero speed output in order to retain the contactor until the output registers zero rpm before release of the contactor.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSmitty View Post
    Mactec

Thanks for your response. I understand I need to hook up to the L1 and L2 wires. I just don't know at what point in the wiring I need to hook it up, and which wires need to be disconnected, etc.

Regards,

Smitty
    You will have a contactor that is for the spindle start, there will be (2) together if it had Forward / Reverse, this will be 3ph this is where you would start, some close-up photos of the contactors and and wiring would help

Looking at the first cabinet where the main power supply comes in, that looks like it goes to (2) contactors at the Bottom, (1) will be to the Power On for the Transformer the other to power up the rest of the system, there are a lot of contactors in that Box you will have to see what each one is for (2) will be for the spindle so see where the wires go, to and from each contactor

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12