Newbie Convert Brideport into CNC milling

Thread: Convert Brideport into CNC milling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Convert Brideport into CNC milling

I’m hobbyist and I need your support to convert a Brideport into a CNC milling at the lower cost possible. The backlash on my BP is 0.005.

I’m planning to buy AC servo motors with drive from aliexpress. I think I’ll go with 750 w for X and Y and 400 w for Z (see the spec below / about 1000 US$ with drives and cables and shipping include). I’m not sure what I need between the servo drives and the pc (I’ll use an old laptop) and I’ve never had a cnc machine. This CNC world is new to me and I can’t wait to explore it. Thanks for your advices.

80ST-M02430 750w 2.39N.M 3000rpm AC Servo Motor + Servo driver + Servo cable 80ST for X and Y

80ST-M01330 400W 1.27N.M 0.4KW 3000RPM AC Servo Motor + Matched Servo Drive 80ST + Servo cable

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Convert Brideport into CNC milling

I double check the backlash on my BP and it is more like 0.010. I’d like to go with ball screw. What is the lowest cost option?

For the link between the AC servo motor and pc, is it possible that all I need is a Mach3 5 axis CNC stepper motor driver controller Breakout Board for Stepper Motor Driver servo motor driver (12$)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jfroux_1 View Post
    I double check the backlash on my BP and it is more like 0.010. I’d like to go with ball screw. What is the lowest cost option?

For the link between the AC servo motor and pc, is it possible that all I need is a Mach3 5 axis CNC stepper motor driver controller Breakout Board for Stepper Motor Driver servo motor driver (12$)?

Yes a Breakout Board and any Control software Mach3 is ok but a little dated now and know support, only from the people that still are using it, which there are thousands

You should look at Dmm servo system this is a better choice that you will find anywhere else, for the price for what you get, you may be close to them depending how far you are from BC

DMM | Technology Solutions | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You mean Bridgeport, right - not Brideport? I'd be cautious about buying AC servos off AliExpress. unless i was an experienced AC servo system designer. These will not come with any support whatsoever, so you're on your own when it comes to making them work. And that's not going to be totally simple. Paying more for motors and matching drives from someone who can walk you through the installation, setup and tuning process might be the difference between a working machine and a boat anchor.

There are a few companies who make drop-in ball screw conversion kits for the Bridgeport mills; here's one: http://www.motionusa.com.s3-website-...rofit_Kits.pdf

The other thing you might consider is leaving your Bridgeport as-is and buying a used CNC mill. The cost of converting it could well be more than the whole other mill, which might only need a control retrofit. In addition to replacing the screws, buying motors and drives, and converting the spindle to VFD drive, you'd need to figure out a way to drive the Z axis, which now is run by a manual quill. Just converting that to a reliable motor-driven axis can be a lot of work in itself.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec54, I'm in Québec but I asked a quotation to Dmm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the safe advices Andrew. I still hope I'll find a way to convert my Bridgeport at low cost. I saw those drop-in ball screw kits but they are too expensive for my budget. I hope I'll find a cheap way to install cheap ballnut. The 3 AC servo motors with drives, cables and control card are 1000 US$ from aliexpress.