Need Help! powtran i9000 settings to control 3 phase motor speed

Thread: powtran i9000 settings to control 3 phase motor speed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default powtran i9000 settings to control 3 phase motor speed

Hi,
    I have a 2.2kw 240v single phase in, and 240v 3 phase out Powtran Pi9000 vfd, and also an ESS smoothstepper board, the problem I have is I want to control the speed of the 3phase motor on my lathe with mach4 using the M3 and S command.

What I have done so far is use the 10v analog output on the ESS board to the vfd, when I type different speeds into the MDI screen on Mach and run it the voltage changes going into the vfd, I can change anywhere fron 0v to 9.8v depending in the speed setting, so I know that the input from mach to the ESS board is working and from the ESS to the vfd is ok.

I have the vfd set to terminal input instead of control panel and also the have the A13 analog input on the terminal board set as voltage input, when I try to get the motor to work with the different speed settings in mach the motor will not start. I have read the manual but I can't figure it out,I guess I have to change more settings but I am not sure which one's.

If someone can help I would be very grateful.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: powtran i9000 settings to control 3 phase motor speed

Quote Originally Posted by bluebumper View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 2.2kw 240v single phase in, and 240v 3 phase out Powtran Pi9000 vfd, and also an ESS smoothstepper board, the problem I have is I want to control the speed of the 3phase motor on my lathe with mach4 using the M3 and S command.

What I have done so far is use the 10v analog output on the ESS board to the vfd, when I type different speeds into the MDI screen on Mach and run it the voltage changes going into the vfd, I can change anywhere fron 0v to 9.8v depending in the speed setting, so I know that the input from mach to the ESS board is working and from the ESS to the vfd is ok.

I have the vfd set to terminal input instead of control panel and also the have the A13 analog input on the terminal board set as voltage input, when I try to get the motor to work with the different speed settings in mach the motor will not start. I have read the manual but I can't figure it out,I guess I have to change more settings but I am not sure which one's.

If someone can help I would be very grateful.
    So it seems all you need is a relay to turn the VFD on, Some of the Parameters I have below you may have to change to suit you install, the manual is very good so once you see this you should be able to relate to the manual for your settings

You connect DI2 and Com Terminals for the relay, the relay would be turned ON / OFF from an output on your Breakout Board

Parameters

F01.13=0

F06.01=1

F06.07-0

The PWM 0-10v connection

AT1 and Ground Terminals

Parameters

F01.1=0

F01.03=1

F06.07=0

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot for that, I will give it a go today and see what happens

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I can now get the motor to start from Mach4, but whatever speed setting I use the motor just runs up to 50hz, well that is a start anyway

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I can now get the motor to start from Mach4, but whatever speed setting I use the motor just runs up to 50hz, well that is a start anyway
    Well don't try it any more or you will damage the motor, I will look at what parameters you need to set, runs up to 50Hz can be really bad

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

bluebumper

There may still be some more Parameters to adjust, these should be close

Powtran PI9000

Mactec54 2.2Kw Spindle Parameters

F01.0=0

F01.1=1

F.01.03=1

F01.08=400

F01.09=100

F01.11=10 ( Adjustable Acceleration )

F01.12=10 ( Adjustable Deceleration )

F03.00=0

F03.01=2.2 ( Spindle Kw Rating )

F03.02=400

F03.03=24000

F03.04=220

F03.05=9

F03.11= ( Set to 1 for Auto Tuning, only after all other Parameters have been set )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec,

I think these settings are for a Spindle, what I need is to be able to control the speed of a 3phase motor mounted on the lathe that just turns the chuck.

I have set the vfd so it is controlled by the terminal block in the vfd, which is wired to the ESS board, which is working ok, but when I type a speed command into Mach4 the voltage changes depending on the speed I have typed, and when I run it through Mach4 the motor just builds up to it's top speed of 1450 rpm, regardless of the different voltages going into the vfd from Mach4. It is not recognising the voltage change to set the speed from Mach4. So I guess it is just working out what setting or settings to change to be able to set the speed from Mach4.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec,

I think these settings are for a Spindle, what I need is to be able to control the speed of a 3phase motor mounted on the lathe that just turns the chuck.

I have set the vfd so it is controlled by the terminal block in the vfd, which is wired to the ESS board, which is working ok, but when I type a speed command into Mach4 the voltage changes depending on the speed I have typed, and when I run it through Mach4 the motor just builds up to it's top speed of 1450 rpm, regardless of the different voltages going into the vfd from Mach4. It is not recognising the voltage change to set the speed from Mach4. So I guess it is just working out what setting or settings to change to be able to set the speed from Mach4.
    Disconnect the VFD from Mach4 control and get it running from the Keypad first, and the Parameters I just post are correct for your 400 Hz spindle, there may be more needed to be set but these are what is need to start with, they have nothing to do with a lathe or regular AC motor, to get that speed you have not set the correct parameters you still have a 50Hz setting set, which is not for your spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec,
    Some confusion here, I don't have a 400hz spindle.I did get it running in Mach4 from the keypad.... that is what I did first, the motor I wanted to control is a 3phase that turns the actual lathe spindle or main shaft.. or whatever it is called.
    Now I do have it running through Mach4 with the M3 S command and everything is working very nicely, whatever speed I type into mach changes the analog voltage going into the vfd and the motor turns at the speed I set.

There is only one slight problem that I have now, at the S1450 command I am only getting 48.5Hz instead of 50HZ which doesn't really worry me, I read the ESS board specifications and it says that the analog output will only supply 9.8v and also says you can alter the vfd settings to get 10v, not sure how that is done, but apart from that everything is good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec,
    Some confusion here, I don't have a 400hz spindle.I did get it running in Mach4 from the keypad.... that is what I did first, the motor I wanted to control is a 3phase that turns the actual lathe spindle or main shaft.. or whatever it is called.
    Now I do have it running through Mach4 with the M3 S command and everything is working very nicely, whatever speed I type into mach changes the analog voltage going into the vfd and the motor turns at the speed I set.

There is only one slight problem that I have now, at the S1450 command I am only getting 48.5Hz instead of 50HZ which doesn't really worry me, I read the ESS board specifications and it says that the analog output will only supply 9.8v and also says you can alter the vfd settings to get 10v, not sure how that is done, but apart from that everything is good.
    I should of read the part, where it said on your lathe, you where only missing the 2.2Kw 240v 50Hz that would of changed everything

You can use different Hz settings for you lathe motor, if 50Hz is the name plate on the motor, you can use up to 100 Hz in the VFD Drive Parameters, and for the slowest you can go down to around 20Hz this will depend on motor cooling at the lower setting, so if you want to have a max RPM setup and can't get it with the PWM then you can adjust these Hz settings as well

I would have to look at the VFD Drive again to see if there are parameters to offset the lower voltage

Mactec54