Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    A HUNDRED AMPS in a home workshop?????..........wow, that's almost like a death wish......we're talking about 24,000 watts if it's just 240 volts.....there must be some serious machining going on to need that capacity.
    Ian.
    A 100 Amp supply is small, for a home shop in NA that only has single phase, I have 400 Amps 240v available if I need it for my home shop, it soon adds up when you run big machines 7Hp to 30 Hp

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, in our neck of the woods, which is suburbia, any garage workshop activity is relegated to small scale 220 volt 15 amp supply.........you can get 3 phase for big air con, but for home workshop use it's not favoured for the 'burbs.

Any machinery causing noise, interference or mains spikes would soon be shut down.

Probably you're in the back woods or on a farm lot where you do not have neighbours adjacent etc.

Commercial activities, using heavy machinery, are usually relegated to industrial estates where noise is normal.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, in our neck of the woods, which is suburbia, any garage workshop activity is relegated to small scale 220 volt 15 amp supply.........you can get 3 phase for big air con, but for home workshop use it's not favoured for the 'burbs.

Any machinery causing noise, interference or mains spikes would soon be shut down.

Probably you're in the back woods or on a farm lot where you do not have neighbours adjacent etc.

Commercial activities, using heavy machinery, are usually relegated to industrial estates where noise is normal.
    Ian.
    That is the norm any where

I'm in a regular neighbor hood roughly 60 houses in this neighbor hood, we all have on average 1.5 acres lots though, the closest house to me is around 60 feet, on either side,I can have 3 machining centers running, and you can't here it outside standing 2 feet from any door, or even in the house, I can hear the compressor in one bed room, because it is right above it, but can only just hear it, it's call insulation,6" walls with Brick exterior 12" inch ceiling insulation, even the roller doors are insulated, one machine I have runs 7 days a week

As for mains electrical spikes, if you know how to wire a shop correctly you never would send any spikes or noise into the power system, if you had this problem, it would effect your own home TV radio Etc, as well as those other houses around you

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know, the 'burbs where I live are zoned specifically for residential use and not commercial.......this is to prevent the problems caused by industrial activities such as waste and noise pollution impacting on the infrastructure of the 'burbs.

The electricity supply is also geared to domestic usage and not commercial machinery and is priced accordingly.........you would have to be a nut case to run a commercial activity with domestic supply charges.

At the same time our rubbish disposal is graded to remove recyclables and separate the rubbish etc.

To this end the actual rubbish bins have been down sized to reduce the land fill problems.

Oh, and the old size 1/4 acre residential blocks from the old days do not exist in the 'burbs any more......you would be extremely lucky to get a residential block of land for $300,000 now.....even with a grotty ready to demolish weather board house on it.

There is a very real drive by the local councils to invest in urban renewal as a means to keep slums from occurring.,,,,,,zoning infringement regulations are heavily penalised.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad I bought in a rural farming area. My zoning is Rural Residential Farm Forest (RRFF). Any activities that support farming or the wood products industry is permitted, including heavy industrial, even though it's a residential area. I do work on the neighbors tractor sometimes so I'm in compliance And I'm only a few minutes from a major metro area, the best of both worlds.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know, the 'burbs where I live are zoned specifically for residential use and not commercial.......this is to prevent the problems caused by industrial activities such as waste and noise pollution impacting on the infrastructure of the 'burbs.

The electricity supply is also geared to domestic usage and not commercial machinery and is priced accordingly.........you would have to be a nut case to run a commercial activity with domestic supply charges.

At the same time our rubbish disposal is graded to remove recyclables and separate the rubbish etc.

To this end the actual rubbish bins have been down sized to reduce the land fill problems.

Oh, and the old size 1/4 acre residential blocks from the old days do not exist in the 'burbs any more......you would be extremely lucky to get a residential block of land for $300,000 now.....even with a grotty ready to demolish weather board house on it.

There is a very real drive by the local councils to invest in urban renewal as a means to keep slums from occurring.,,,,,,zoning infringement regulations are heavily penalised.
    Ian.
    I agree with you completely, that is the norm any where in the world

I disagree with you on the power though, as I have property's in your neck of the woods residential and commercial, and have 1 residential property that I had 3 phase power added to the Garage, it has a 50 Amp per phase supply, they put in and has a separate meter for that line, you pay a set cost for that meter whether you use it or not, the only questions asked was what did I want it for, and I told them I had machines that needed 3 phase power to run them, if you have money anything is possible, as it is not cheap to do, but can be done

If the operation is tidy you would not even know it was there, even in a normal residential area, the power supply to my house is considered normal, for garbage, I recycle more than most, I have a choice where we are, you either pay for garbage pick up or you can take your own to the recycle center for fee, I take my own, it's simple and the drop station is only 2 miles away

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for help. I just found a 230/460 10 HP motor. It has 12 wires coming out of the motor with numbers on it. How should I connect those wire? The wire draw I have there is only T1, T2 and T3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I just looked all your posts and I saw that Jim gave me the right wires connection a while ago. I'll try...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jfroux_1 View Post
    Thanks for help. I just found a 230/460 10 HP motor. It has 12 wires coming out of the motor with numbers on it. How should I connect those wire? The wire draw I have there is only T1, T2 and T3.
    12 wire motors are normally 2 speed motors. You have to get the wiring correct. Wire per the data plate on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by jfroux_1 View Post
    Sorry, I just looked all your posts and I saw that Jim gave me the right wires connection a while ago. I'll try...
    That was for a 9 wire, dual voltage motor. Do not use that connection for a 12 wire motor.

EDIT: There is still the issue of limited power available in your garage. At 30 amps available, you really don't have enough power to run more than 5 HP (about 23 amps on 230 single phase)

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim. There is no data wire connection on the motor. But I found a 12 wire connection on the net that I used. I thought 30 amp was the lower limit to run a 10 HP 3 phase in single phase. It worked but I guess it does explain why my motor doesn’t run under load. The wire in the wall is 10 gauge. I’ll have to put a new wire. Is 40 amp enough?
    As soon as I put load on the motor, it can’t run the Ingersoll Rand 30T air compressors.
    When I added 42 uf of between T1 and T3 I got Vab=240v Vac=258v Vbc=250v
    And than I added caps (3x35 uf in series) between T2 and T3 and I end up with Vab =241 Vac=259 and Vbc=258. But as soon as I put load, the motor stops.
    Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp-img_2567-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp-img_2567-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

My single phase 230 V, 5 HP compressor motor draws about 23 amps at full load. So 10 HP on single phase is going to be about 46 amps at full load.

Are you trying to run the compressor off of the 10 HP motor you show above? And run it on single phase? Or are you trying to run another motor on the air compressor and use the 10 HP as the RPC?

Do you have the 10 HP motor wired for 230 V, "Y" connected? Not really sure if ''Y" or Delta connection makes any difference in this case, but you would normally wire it for a ''Y'' connection.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got this 10HP 230/460 and I'm trying to run it single phase in ''Y'' connection low voltage T4-T5-T6 and T10-T11-T12 and T7-T1-L1 and T8-T2-L2 and T9-T3-L3 to run my air compressor T30. As soon as I load it and I releae the start capacitor, the motor slow down and stop. There is no pressure in the tank. I don't have my device to measure the amp. I should get it back Monday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your 10 HP motor will only develop about 6.5 HP when running on single phase in this configuration. You are not really running as a rotary phase converter but rather a static phase converter. A rotary phase converter is used to generate 3 phase power for another 3 phase motor. Take a look at this web site, and compare the drawing to the way your system is wired: phaseconverter

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes Jim, I changed my rotary phase project for a static phase converter. Everything is connected the was it is showed on the drawing. I understand I get 2/3 of the 10 HP but It should be able to run with no air pressure in the tank.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I just wanted to make sure that I understand what you are doing.

I agree, the 10 HP motor should be able to run the unloaded air compressor when running on single phase. I think you might be connected for high voltage.

I think the connections for low (230V) voltage are:

L1: T1-T12-T6-T7
    L2: T2-T10-T4-T8
    L3: T3-T11-T5-T9

EDIT: And I expect it will trip your breaker when it starts at full current.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Again, Thanks Jim. My motor was connected in ''Y''. Now in delta it works. Now it is the tuning. Please look and tell me what you think. I don't know why my Vab goes lower at 233 volts.

Cp (T1-T3) Cp (T2-T3) Cp (T1-T2) ab (T1-T2) ac (T1-T3) bc (T2-T3)
    no load 21 0 0 238 229 222
    no load 35 0 0 238 232 226
    no load 70 0 0 238 239 232
    no load 105 0 0 238 246 237
    no load 126 0 0 238 250 241
    no load 147 0 0 238 254 244
    no load 157 0 0 239 258 247
    no load 168 0 0 239 259 256
    no load 157 49 0 239 258 258
    no load 157 66 0 239 259 267
    underload 157 49 0 233 241 242

Last edited by jfroux_1; 04-29-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks pretty good. Your voltage balance should be fine for a compressor motor or just about any 3 phase motor. You could play with the balance a bit more to get the legs closer when loaded, but your loaded voltage looks OK given the end use and your limited power. Now the real question is what will happen when the compressor comes up to pressure?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

so far so good. But I can't operate with the starter relay... I have to use the manual switch to activate the start capacitor. 120 psi stop and start ok.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you have an almost full operating system. It's been a long process getting to this point. Congratulations !

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Full load I get T1-T2 231v T2-T3 232v and T1-T3 249v. I'm not sure what to do to get better balance. The starter relay didn't work because I first did a mistake when I connected it. Everything is working nice. I can't go higher than 130 psi. Maybe the head is damaged or the gauge.. but the safety pressure doesn't release any air. I'm not sure what CFM I'm getting with this head compressor T30 from Ingersoll. The 3 phase 10 HP gives about 6.5 HP on single phase and the pulley on the motor is 5 1/4 and the RPM of the motor in 1750 rpm. If someone know, please let me knowNeed help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp-img_2570-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help! Balance voltage rotary converter motor 7.5 hp-img_2570-jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast